Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/20 at 23:59

1 minute ago, sne said:

I don't know man, I'm learning stuff here.

For almost 40 years, since I was 5 I've live under the illusion I was an Aston Villa supporter. Turns out I was just some lowly fan.

And if I understand it correctly it should read (financial)-supporter and (casual)-fan? 

And apparently there is no "better fan (or supporter as it turns out) implication, but there absolutely is.

Top stuff!

I went a whole season when I was at Uni without going to a game. And I didn't pay our sky bill either so I guess that season I didn't give a penny to the club.

So good to know I'm not a 25 year supporter anymore. I'm a 11 year supporter -1 year fan - 13 year supporter

• Haha 2

What a load of semen...

I mean, semantics. Some very seasoned and generally reasoned posters piling into TRO and seemingly (seemingly, note the word seemingly here... as I have no idea what your true intentions are) with intent to bully him off the forum. It's not like he's murdered anyone. He's not even done 32 in  30 zone. There's nothing wrong with having different opinions, but crikey, when someone has even backtracked, you still pile on. That's bullying folks. And, ignore. And where is the Mod to bring this all back on topic?

All TRO has really done is used the word 'plethora' twice in a few days, for which he has my eternal respect, and accidentally rubbed a few of you up the wrong way. He's already said that he never set out to cause such offence, but the besmirching continues. Give it a rest. Never has a thread seemingly reached such millennial triggering as I have seen here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/02/2020 at 17:28, TRO said:

Is it not more appropriate to give your own opinion, when a genuine question is being asked, rather than chase down someone elses?....if you disagree with me fine.....give him your version.

It can easily be presented in contrast to mine , if thats what the challenger wants to acheive.

I did actually write in my original answer....."unless someone else has a better description".....that was an invitation, for other posters to give him their version.

I think that is testimony to me  saying, its just my version......and no one has mentioned the word " better fan" or implied it ,thats your interpretation/invention....mine was merely a suggested description put forward.

I would be most surprised if my quote caused offence, because that was a million miles from the intention, but i cannot legislate for folk getting the wrong end of the stick....unless an inferiority complex is at play.

They can challenge my opinion, but when I already invited that challenge in my original response to the poster who asked "is there  a difference".....I would have thought it more appropriate to answer that poster, with there version, than chase down mine.

just my opinion once again.

anyway we are off topic......lets  get back on.

56 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

What a load of semen...

I mean, semantics. Some very seasoned and generally reasoned posters piling into TRO and seemingly (seemingly, note the word seemingly here... as I have no idea what your true intentions are) with intent to bully him off the forum. It's not like he's murdered anyone. He's not even done 32 in  30 zone. There's nothing wrong with having different opinions, but crikey, when someone has even backtracked, you still pile on. That's bullying folks. And, ignore. And where is the Mod to bring this all back on topic?

All TRO has really done is used the word 'plethora' twice in a few days, for which he has my eternal respect, and accidentally rubbed a few of you up the wrong way. He's already said that he never set out to cause such offence, but the besmirching continues. Give it a rest. Never has a thread seemingly reached such millennial triggering as I have seen here.

Its not the first time, either Raver.....but hey! so what......but thanks for the support....I could respond, but the comments are simply not worthy.....I think its inferiority complexes gone astray.

I ran some of the roughest pubs in Birmingham for 10 years and all the shenanigans that go with it.....so a few adverse comments , don't give me sweat.

Too old and ugly for that....but thanks.

Edited by TRO

On 26/02/2020 at 10:25, mig4villa said:

Mate, there is no distinction. Words have clearly laid down meanings. Fan and supporter mean exactly the same thing in the context of a sport or team. We don't get to have our own opinions on the definition of  words, just like we don't get an opinion  on the FACT that 2 + 2 = 4, or  that  Copper is a metal. (well we do - but any other opinions than the known facts are demonstrably wrong - sorry)  UTV

I'd love for you to post links to where you 'interpreted' that 'fan' and 'supporter' have the same meaning, because quite simply they do not.  It seems like what you looked at was a list of synonyms.  Synonyms have similar meanings or can be used in the same context - this does not mean they carry the same meaning.

I've a degree in lineage of words and can tell you in no uncertain terms that 'fan' , being short for 'fanatic', implies a degree of obsession, whereas a 'supporter' carries no such connotation.

I'm not going to get into 'which is better' as that's open to interpretation.  But to say the two words mean the same thing just can't be further from the truth.

On 28/02/2020 at 13:33, flashingqwerty said:

I'd love for you to post links to where you 'interpreted' that 'fan' and 'supporter' have the same meaning, because quite simply they do not.  It seems like what you looked at was a list of synonyms.  Synonyms have similar meanings or can be used in the same context - this does not mean they carry the same meaning.

I've a degree in lineage of words and can tell you in no uncertain terms that 'fan' , being short for 'fanatic', implies a degree of obsession, whereas a 'supporter' carries no such connotation.

I'm not going to get into 'which is better' as that's open to interpretation.  But to say the two words mean the same thing just can't be further from the truth.

Nah! - I'm not wearing it. If you truly possessed the qualification you claim, you would know that the word Lineage pertains to peoples ancestry.  The word you were looking for is 'Etymology'. If you really had a degree in etymology, then you should know that the origin of a word often has little to do with its current, commonly accepted meaning. You should also know that a dictionary is a useful place to look up the actual DEFINITION of any word. You ought to get yourself one maybe, and look up the words; - Lineage, etymology, definition, fan and Supporter.  

11 minutes ago, mig4villa said:

Nah! - I'm not wearing it. If you truly possessed the qualification you claim, you would know that the word Lineage pertains to peoples ancestry.  The word you were looking for is 'Etymology'. If you really had a degree in etymology, then you should know that the origin of a word often has little to do with its current, commonly accepted meaning. You should also know that a dictionary is a useful place to look up the actual DEFINITION of any word. You ought to get yourself one maybe, and look up the words; - Lineage, etymology, definition, fan and Supporter.  

I didn't use the word etymology as i didn't think it was accessible enough for everyone to know what it meant.

So, for giggles, theres the dictionary definition for fan

Fan 1

And for supporter:

Supporter

Similar, but certainly not the same.  Also, notice in the definition for Fan, it notes the word is short for fanatic, so heres that definition as well

Fan 2

So, even looking at the dictionary definition, its still abundently clear the words do not mean the same thing.  Fan implies a degree of obsession that is not implied by the word supporter.

I agree, dictionary definitions and etymology do not dictate the colloquial or common usage, but then, i didn't start the dictionary definition argument, i'm merely pointing out that the assertion that the dictionary definitions of the 2 words are not the same.

We can look at common usage, as urban dictionary is a useful tool foe this

Supporter 2

Fan 3

Still not the same.

6 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I didn't use the word etymology as i didn't think it was accessible enough for everyone to know what it meant.

So, for giggles, theres the dictionary definition for fan

Fan 1

And for supporter:

Supporter

Similar, but certainly not the same.  Also, notice in the definition for Fan, it notes the word is short for fanatic, so heres that definition as well

Fan 2

So, even looking at the dictionary definition, its still abundently clear the words do not mean the same thing.  Fan implies a degree of obsession that is not implied by the word supporter.

I agree, dictionary definitions and etymology do not dictate the colloquial or common usage, but then, i didn't start the dictionary definition argument, i'm merely pointing out that the assertion that the dictionary definitions of the 2 words are not the same.

We can look at common usage, as urban dictionary is a useful tool foe this

Supporter 2

Fan 3

Still not the same.

Mate, nothing quoted in any of your links actually supports your claim of any difference, in terms of meaning between the two words i'm afraid.  They effectively mean the same thing within  the context of following a sport or a team. You merely evoke - (unverified) implications of obsession, that are actually your own imaginings. The original argument / debate  stems from someone else (TRO?) claiming that a fan was an armchair observer, while a supporter was someone who actually forks out for tickets and goes to games.  Clearly no such distinction exists. That is what I and others objected to as it has no basis in fact, and  people felt it implied the superiority of a supporter over a mere fan. Anyway - I hope to God the team we all follow and love obsessively - (whether fan or supporter), show the same amount of fight as you and TRO have done here, when they play at Wembley this afternoon 🙂  UTV

7 hours ago, mig4villa said:

Mate, nothing quoted in any of your links actually supports your claim of any difference, in terms of meaning between the two words i'm afraid.  They effectively mean the same thing within  the context of following a sport or a team. You merely evoke - (unverified) implications of obsession, that are actually your own imaginings. The original argument / debate  stems from someone else (TRO?) claiming that a fan was an armchair observer, while a supporter was someone who actually forks out for tickets and goes to games.  Clearly no such distinction exists. That is what I and others objected to as it has no basis in fact, and  people felt it implied the superiority of a supporter over a mere fan. Anyway - I hope to God the team we all follow and love obsessively - (whether fan or supporter), show the same amount of fight as you and TRO have done here, when they play at Wembley this afternoon 🙂  UTV

No, you've taken me entirely out of context.  If anything, a fan feels more than a supporter, due the implied fanaticism / obessession connotation, and if you don't see that, then there isnt anything , i or anyone else, can do for you, as the definitions are clearly different.  

One implies a moral or financial backing (supporter) whilst the other implies a following devoid of negative conontations (fanatic).  If you do not see that, then i feel sorry for you, as you clearly lack a firm grasp of the english language.

This is the last post i will make on the subject, as anyone who does does not see the difference between the two words lacks a basic undetstanding of the english language, to such an extent, that debate is pointless.

If you do not grasp the distinction that fanactic implies, you have my sympathy.  But do not get me wrong, contrary to Tro's description, i'd argue that a fan experiences emotional distress to a greater degree than a supporter, due to the fact that a fanatic gives unconditionally positive backing, whereas as a supporter does not.

But each to their own.

Just to note, that my wofe, who has a Phd in this field agrees with my synopsis.  Wether you agree, or disagree, is irrelevant.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

No, you've taken me entirely out of context.  If anything, a fan feels more than a supporter, due the implied fanaticism / obessession connotation, and if you don't see that, then there isnt anything , i or anyone else, can do for you, as the definitions are clearly different.  

One implies a moral or financial backing (supporter) whilst the other implies a following devoid of negative conontations (fanatic).  If you do not see that, then i feel sorry for you, as you clearly lack a firm grasp of the english language.

This is the last post i will make on the subject, as anyone who does does not see the difference between the two words lacks a basic undetstanding of the english language, to such an extent, that debate is pointless.

If you do not grasp the distinction that fanactic implies, you have my sympathy.  But do not get me wrong, contrary to Tro's description, i'd argue that a fan experiences emotional distress to a greater degree than a supporter, due to the fact that a fanatic gives unconditionally positive backing, whereas as a supporter does not.

But each to their own.

Just to note, that my wofe, who has a Phd in this field agrees with my synopsis.  Wether you agree, or disagree, is irrelevant.

Invent your own meanings for words if you insist buddy. It's  just that communication would be simpler and much more effective  if we all stick to the actual dictionary definitions. Also - for future reference, it is entirely unconvincing to try to win arguments by attempting to pull rank on others by  claiming to possess  qualifications you so obviously don't. Anyone who actually knows how to spell and use correct grammar and punctuation will see through your utter bullshit immediately. 

• Confused 1

Â