Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/20 at 23:59

"I am not bothered about the cup final next week, this was our cup final today and we were terrible. Certainly some players have played themselves out of next week."

I'm sure they're really upset about not being allowed to chase mancity shadows and get torn a new one at wembley....... It's going to be an anal massacre next weekend.

The players will be glad to not be out there...........El Gazi couldn't wait to get off the pitch today with an inocuious "injury"

If I was a pro I'd be definatly in the managers office with the old tight calf on monday morning

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

"I am not bothered about the cup final next week, this was our cup final today and we were terrible. Certainly some players have played themselves out of next week."

I'm sure they're really upset about not being allowed to chase mancity shadows and get torn a new one at wembley....... It's going to be an anal massacre next weekend.

The players will be glad to not be out there...........El Gazi couldn't wait to get off the pitch today with an inocuious "injury"

If I was a pro I'd be definatly in the managers office with the old tight calf on monday morning

Yikes, are you a supporter or...?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We were utterly diabolical. Worst I've seen us this season. 

The 5 at the back is not working, we're constantly swamped in midfield. 

In spite of Engels' howler last week he's still our second best centre-back. I'd have him back in there with Elmo at rb.

Guilbert

Hause

Konsa

Trez

Nakamba

Nowhere near premier league level. When that's so obviously the case the real blame for this lies with Pitarch and Purslow.

• Confused 1

All well and good saying players have played themselves out of next week but we don't have a squad so who's he going to play? 

El ghazi is a coward but if you drop him you have to play hassan. It's like choosing which Corona virus is going to kill you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As you know I don’t see eye to eye with you on much of this season.

I maintain a struggle was to be expected, that we are not a million miles off.

And struggles often bring out the negatives in fans, players and Coaches.

But we are not producing the levels we are capable of. Too hit and miss.

I expect inconsistency. But I expect to be properly competitive against sides in the lower half.

He managed that in the first half of the season.

He isn’t managing now, and hasn’t been for some time.

Thats my issue. At our best we are no worse than half the League.

He doesn’t seem able to get us playing at our best, or even remotely close to it, against teams we should be competitive with.

His biggest problem is trying to get the players to play the certain way he likes

We don’t have the quality, instead of shaping the style of play and tactics to suit the ability of the  players, he is trying to make the players play a certain style that they simply are not capable of doing

He is either too stubborn to admit he is wrong or is too limited on his abilities to change things 

Personally I think it’s a combination of the two

I don’t like his demeanour either, that’s a personal opinion. He strikes me as being someone who is rather unlikeable. I listened to Gabby on TS the other day saying Garde was basically hard to work with. I kind of get that impression about Smith. As I said that’s just my feeling, there is something I don’t really don’t like about him when I see him interviewed or watch him on the touchline 

Edited by KHV
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We played some really good stuff against spurs and deserved at least a point. Not very good, today, poor against Bournemouth, were good before that though. Away we look a different side at the moment. We need to win some home games sharpish.

All the Smith out stuff though I do think is misguided though as it goes. He should stay even if relegated.

Misguided is backing a piss poor manager who looses almost every week - where are these good performances you speak of? 

We beat Norwich comfortably that's it.  

His tactics are poor, recruitment poor, motivating poor. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As you know I don’t see eye to eye with you on much of this season.

I maintain a struggle was to be expected, that we are not a million miles off.

And struggles often bring out the negatives in fans, players and Coaches.

But we are not producing the levels we are capable of. Too hit and miss.

I expect inconsistency. But I expect to be properly competitive against sides in the lower half.

He managed that in the first half of the season.

He isn’t managing now, and hasn’t been for some time.

Thats my issue. At our best we are no worse than half the League.

He doesn’t seem able to get us playing at our best, or even remotely close to it, against teams we should be competitive with.

Thats as clear as daylight....and vicky, verky.

I wasn't expecting much either of this season either, but I wasn't expecting such a bereft attempt at Defending as a team as this team of ours has developed....53 goals against represents a deep rooted problem with the thinking of our people at the club.....It has to change, because there is no future to it.

Contrary to your first line, I do agree with you more than you think.....but what I don't agree with, is your readiness to cling to mitigation regarding our shortfalls.....you are much quicker than me to jump to positivity, I am more cautious and Cynical and am I am not afraid to air the downsides of what we do, as much as it saddens me to do so.

Thats the first time, this season, I have seen you have doubts to what we are doing, that is to your credit IMO.....and I agree with you FWIW.

I accept our differences, but remember, we both love the club, but display that in different ways in our views.

Sad Day but,UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

AEG went off after a clash with their centre back. I haven't seen it back but was it a red card? 

The cup final next week is a welcome break but we have a terrible run of fixtures. Looking forward to having McGinn back. That midfield is really lacking energy. 

Just now, Herman22 said:

AEG went off after a clash with their centre back. I haven't seen it back but was it a red card? 

The cup final next week is a welcome break but we have a terrible run of fixtures. Looking forward to having McGinn back. That midfield is really lacking energy. 

No - powder puff brush of the face - the fact he went off is laughable

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Disappointingly, Smith's days may be numbered. These owners will not put up with this sort of performance, considering the investment they have in the club, and the possible future investment they will put in to get them to where they want to be.

It is beginning to look as though the PL is a step too far for him. It's a shame; was a great story, but fairy tales don't often come true. 

And so they shouldn't.....This football does not represent progress or ambition.

• Like 1

Garbage.  Knew we were in trouble when lawro predicted a win. Cant win away and all of our hard games are at home. We cant beat good teams either. We are in huge trouble, odds on to go down. Any excitement  for next week has gone it could be a thrashing. I hope purslow has a plan because relegation and the FFP issues are not a good combination. We could be back in the championship for  a long time. Gone up too soon in hindsight. By and large championship players and manager and that is after spending 140 million in the summer which is scary. Where do we go from here. Deano its over to you mate.  Fed up of seeing Villa lose in the Premier League virtually every week, it isn't fun.

23 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yikes, this guy always seem to talk as if he’s an outside observer and maybe we would be interested in his detached views about how the team did. 

Has anyone ever explained to him he is the coach and therefore accountable for the team’s performance? He probably needs needs to take a bit more ownership of the team’s performances and acknowledge his part in what the team does or doesn’t achieve. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him do that. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KHV said:

His biggest problem is trying to get the players to play the certain way he likes

We don’t have the quality, instead of shaping the style of play and tactics to suit the ability of the  players, he is trying to make the players play a certain style that they simply are not capable of doing

He is either too stubborn to admit he is wrong or is too limited on his abilities to change things 

Personally I think it’s a combination of the two

I don’t like his demeanour either, that’s a personal opinion. He strikes me as being someone who is rather unlikeable. I listened to Gabby on TS the other day saying Garde was basically hard to work with. I kind of get that impression about Smith. As I said that’s just my feeling, there is something I don’t really don’t like about him when I see him interviewed or watch him on the touchline 

I think this is bang on.

I don't think a number of the players have the ability to play the way he wants - and this is starting to cause problems in the squad.  They simply can't do what he's asking, and as you say, he won't change his style.

But I'd rather stick with smith, and change the players.

Its not all of them, but the ones under par put pressure on the rest.

If you go the other way round, you sack smith, get in big fat sam who will play to the limited abilities of the players - and no one wants that.

• Like 1

Â