thabucks

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

If we stay up we should get a blue chip sponsor Jaguar or Aston Martin

and what are they advertising? pay us north of £10m a year so everyone can see a brand that they already know?

isn't going to happen, hence why the gambling companies are all over the PL, they have new markets to move in to

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and what are they advertising? pay us north of £10m a year so everyone can see a brand that they already know?

On that basis advertising would not exist.  Like why would Coca Cola bother advertising at all. 

• Like 3

I hate betting sponsors. They're all leeches who target vulnerable people. I know a guy who worked for Paddy Power. He started off with the odds calculation side of it and then moved in to customer retention and had to quit due to due to the practices they operate. And these are as bad. They target the weak and vulnerable. Look around any city in the UK, where is the highest concentration of betting shops? Always in the most disadvantaged/poorest parts of town, close to pubs, area with high unemployment etc.

Someone said above as long as it brings in the money. Not for me. I'd much rather our owners and Purslow, who I presume is resonsible for negotiating these deals, were a lot more creative in searching for sponsorhip deals and also more mindful of the practices of betting companies.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On that basis advertising would not exist.  Like why would Coca Cola bother advertising at all. 

coca cola don't advertise at that expense in the markets that the PL operate in, look at the history of them sponsoring football teams, pretty much exclusive to the Mexican and Brazilian leagues

look at all the PL shirts, look at all the shirts in Europe, how many of them are sponsored by a coca cola? none, how many are sponsored by a giant car company with well established ties in Europe and asia? juve (same owners) utd (are Chrysler well established?)

as much as people want them because of the name, size and locality seriously what's the benefit to Jaguar or Cadburys paying villa £10m a year? what's the business case? they don't need to

why would mcdonalds sponsor barca for £50m a season? what does it do?

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'd LOVE for us to be in a position to have Acorns as our sponsor again.

that's FFP dead then

I think its a big part of why randy threw his toys out of the pram, we were doing the right thing and was almost punished for it when FFP kicked in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand everyone moaning about the ethics of having a gambling sponsor over Acorns etc, but frankly with FFP limiting us we need as much investment as possible. If this sponsorship money is the difference between us getting another good player in the team or not, then I welcome them with open arms. I want to see the team be successful above all else, and if that means having a gambling company on the shirt, so be it.

• Like 2

I honestly struggle to believe it works for the betting brands.

i place a couple of accumulators every weekend of the season. I have never once thought of using any of the betting companies that have paid Villa for sponsorship.

But I’ve thought it’s a bubble for a long time and it doesn’t seem to be slowing 

33 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

i place a couple of accumulators every weekend of the season. I have never once thought of using any of the betting companies that have paid Villa for sponsorship.

But I’ve thought it’s a bubble for a long time and it doesn’t seem to be slowing 

Yep its like a juggernaut that shows no sign of bursting

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Quickbooks paid Villa £5m.

Genting paid Villa £8m.

W88 paid Villa £10m.

Sportpesa paid Everton £18m.  

Sportpesa paying Villa...?

We also had the likes of Dafabet, 32 Red and Unibet of late. 

No sure where they sat in terms of contract valuations though. 

Edited by Kingman

9 minutes ago, Kingman said:

We also had the likes of Dafabet, 32 Red and Unibet of late. 

No sure where they sat in terms of contract valuations though. 

Unibet would have been much lower as that was during the championship years.

Edited by ender4

On 19/02/2020 at 21:09, Keyblade said:

Ehh, not the best looking sponsor. At the very least, hope we don't get the Angry Birds sleeve patch 😐 

I think it's the perfect sponsor in terms of looks.

Very uninvasive. Just plain white writing.

Like 32Red in the championship. Just a plain white font. It's about as good as you can get without having no sponsor.

I had hoped we'd try to move away from betting companies though

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

If we stay up we should get a blue chip sponsor Jaguar or Aston Martin

Jaguar will never sponsor us unless things have massively changed since I was there.

I highly doubt Aston Martin would either. Wouldn't make sense.

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

They are aimed for international fans as UK is a saturated market already 

For Sportpesa it makes perfect sense. The Premier League is huge in central Africa, HUGE.

Walking around anywhere in Uganda easily 50% of all guys are wearing a football jersey, 99% of those are PL teams. Every game is on the telly at every hotel, bar or hole in the wall that has a TV. The PL is much bigger than the Champions League down there. I probably saw as many Aston Villa shirts as I saw Barcelona ones.

From what I've heard from my friends who traveled around in more of these countries it's the same everywhere. PL football is just huge and the exposure is massive.

I don't think it is just sporting reasons we are signing players from Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Egypt and so on. Obviously we also sign them because of their footballing talent, but I think non football reasons are also a calculated part.

And if Sportpesa is our new sponsor it makes sense for both parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's just about raising brand awareness. That's what most football shirt sponsors are aiming for.

You might not have used any of them, but would you have even heard of SportPesa or W88 if it wasn't for football shirt sponsorship?

Plenty of people will have used them because they've no heard of them. And they'd have had no chance if nobody knew who they were.

It's why calls for JLR or Aston Martin or even Cadburys to sponsor us are so far fetched. It's not impossible, but sponsors (for a lower half premier league team) are just looking for a raise in awareness of their brand. JLR and Aston Martin and Cadburys don't need that.

It's not always the case, but the vast majority it is.

A question for the gamblers as I'm not really one.....a bit of poker in the day and I dabble in Shares and Crypto now so not a gambler in the true sense of the word. 

Seeing a gambling company on a shirt surely wouldnt entice new gambers or the vunerable who have never gambled but more likely influence those that gamble, which company to gamble with wouldn't it?  So the net result is the same?  Those that are vunerable who gamble can choose a different company but those that are vunerable but currently dont gamble wont be impacted?  Am I talking rubbish?

Ethically we would like gambling for the vunerable disappear somehow and just let the casual fan gamble but is wearing a name on a shirt such a big deal?  Yes, it's not helping the matter but is it making it any worse.

Again I'm not a gambler or a psychiatrist so out of my depth on both areas on this but....... 

Â