thabucks

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You might not have used any of them, but would you have even heard of SportPesa or W88 if it wasn't for football shirt sponsorship?

Would you have heard of cows?

:trollface:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Puns taking over? I have a serious case of Deja Moo

As long as nobody has a beef with it. I just saw the opportunity and milked it for what its worth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's the perfect sponsor in terms of looks.

Very uninvasive. Just plain white writing.

Like 32Red in the championship. Just a plain white font. It's about as good as you can get without having no sponsor.

I had hoped we'd try to move away from betting companies though

I agree in principle but it just looks weird on the Everton shirt, kind of childish in a way. Maybe it's because their whole kit does though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I agree in principle but it just looks weird on the Everton shirt, kind of childish in a way. Maybe it's because their whole kit does though.

The Angry Birds logo probably doesn't help the overall impression.

• Like 1

As every team seems to have a different sponsor every other year and they all swap around, to be honest I don't pay any attention to them. It's just insert generic gambling logo onto 50 pound football shirt. Back in the day when football was not the 24 hour jugnernaut you paid more notice to them such Mita Copiers for us, JVC for Arsenal, Sharp for Man U, etc. Or perhaps I am just turning into an old fart.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

As every team seems to have a different sponsor every other year and they all swap around, to be honest I don't pay any attention to them. It's just insert generic gambling logo onto 50 pound football shirt. Back in the day when football was not the 24 hour jugnernaut you paid more notice to them such Mita Copiers for us, JVC for Arsenal, Sharp for Man U, etc. Or perhaps I am just turning into an old fart.

Inter is the last of a dead breed, still sponsored by Pirelli after all these years. Even PSV isn't sponsored by Philips anymore incredibly.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Inter is the last of a dead breed, still sponsored by Pirelli after all these years. Even PSV isn't sponsored by Philips anymore incredibly.

Bayern has had Deutsche Telecom for a while now but I remember them having Opel in the 90's

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'm the same, I used to be able to name every teams sponsor without even thinking about it. Apart from Villa I couldn't tell you who sponsored who now.

I think back then it was because Sponsors stuck around and associated themselves with clubs. Now, like you say, its just a merry go round. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Cows was before acorns.

QuickBooks wasn't too bad, that was my last shirt but I'd never wear a shirt that advertises professional scumbags. I'd happily see gambling advertising banned.

Intuit Quickbooks thats the one I was thinking of! Thats the last kit I bought, must have been a good 8 years ago now?

I love how the clubs try to take the higher moral ground by not allowing the youth teams to print the sponsors, or sell kids shirts with the sponsors but are happy to take their money

If its a legal thing, then they should ban kids from watching teams and buying tickets into the ground.. because the only time they will see it on their own shirts if when they look in the mirror. They'll see it more on the players shirts than their own.

Its funny that in the US the one thing that has not been monetised the big four traditional sports, is the shirt.  It would really odd to have bet365 splashed over a Chicago Cubs shirt for example.

A little bit of me died when Barcelona took the gold for the sponsor. They used to be so classy.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Its funny that in the US the one thing that has not been monetised the big four traditional sports, is the shirt.  It would really odd to have bet365 splashed over a Chicago Cubs shirt for example.

A little bit of me died when Barcelona took the gold for the sponsor. They used to be so classy.

The NBA has now jumped on the bandwagon. Guess it was too hard to ignore that ad money. First they moved the logo from the shoulder to the back, and everyone knew it was to make room for a sponsor. Lo and behold, every team has some stupid company plastered on the shoulder of the jersey. Only plus side is that as long as you don't buy the jersey from the team store, it won't have the patch.

At least in football, it can give the shirts some more personality. Like you said, some of those older kits wouldn't be the same without the Sharp or O2 or Carlsberg sponsors. A good sponsor could make the shirt look better.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Bayern has had Deutsche Telecom for a while now but I remember them having Opel in the 90's

It's always baffled me how Bayern don't have BMW as a sponsor seeing as it's about 5km away. Even Audi are a secondary sponsor. The head of BMW must be a big 1860 fan.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

coca cola don't advertise at that expense in the markets that the PL operate in, look at the history of them sponsoring football teams, pretty much exclusive to the Mexican and Brazilian leagues

look at all the PL shirts, look at all the shirts in Europe, how many of them are sponsored by a coca cola? none, how many are sponsored by a giant car company with well established ties in Europe and asia? juve (same owners) utd (are Chrysler well established?)

as much as people want them because of the name, size and locality seriously what's the benefit to Jaguar or Cadburys paying villa £10m a year? what's the business case? they don't need to

why would mcdonalds sponsor barca for £50m a season? what does it do?

Jeep is part of Chrysler. Man U has Chevy, who is pretty much non-existent in Europe, as their sponser. They are part of GM, not Chrysler. Also ranks as the highest kit sponsership at $560 million over 7 years.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

18 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's always baffled me how Bayern don't have BMW as a sponsor seeing as it's about 5km away. Even Audi are a secondary sponsor. The head of BMW must be a big 1860 fan.

Had to google and apparently 1860 had Aston Martin as sponsor back in 11-13

Always associate them with Löwenbräu :D 

I have very mixed feelings on the uproar over gambling sponsors. Ideally I'd like a charity 'sponsor' but in the age of FFP that isn't possible so is having a gambling sponsor really that much worse than many other industries?

Ethically speaking, most companies have questions to answer; are Chevrolet and Emirates dealing with carbon footprints? Are American Express lending responsibly? Are Coca-Cola and Cadbury's tackling obesity issues? All industries have things in place to combat the negative side of their business - I'm not sure I'd ever heard 'when the fun stops, stop' before gambling adverts became so prevalent.

Gambling causes issues because it's so woven in to the game and yet the relationship is confusing;

You can advertise on adult shirts, but not kids (highlighting it more to kids presumably as their shirt is different). Players can't bet on football anywhere in the world but can promote it. Gambling adverts are not allowed on TV before 9pm but live games can have the companies plastered all over the advertising boards.

It's a particularly 'seedy' deal that football finds itself mixed up in at the moment but I see little difference between it and alcoholic drinks sponsorship (which I don't believe is banned still) and, to some degree or another, the 'deal with the devil' all sponsorship brings with it. It just happens to be that gambling is where the money is at the moment.

Edit: however, as some one mentioned above - the Sky Bet is as dodgy as f*ck; if you're controlling the media, links to players, reporting and the inevitable impact that has on odds, how the hell are you allowed to be a betting company?! 

Edited by jackbauer24

Â