Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

Gerrard's not messing about. Carney should take that as a massive compliment. If Gerrard didnt think he could make it he wouldn't be saying these things. He pretty clearly just wants him to play and keep developing him, but why do that if the player is going to leave in 18 months? 

If Carney says 'no" then thats fine and we should respect that, its his career.

We should probably just play him in the U23's for a year till he is done and focus on bringing through the other players who want to be here and compete because its their careers as well. A bench spot in this star studded first team is a coveted spot indeed.

If he doesnt feel he has what it takes to make it here then we should give his spot to another youth player who has that drive.

For sure he will find an easier ride and more playing time somewhere else at a smaller club and if thats what he wants then fair enough. Not everyone has the drive to want to make it to the top.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

For sure he will find an easier ride and more playing time somewhere else at a smaller club and if thats what he wants then fair enough. 

Problem is, I reckon he is either deluded or has someone in his ear, genuinely making him believe that he can go to the likes of Man City and start getting regular game time.

Different players react differently to having smoke blown up their arse unfortunately.

For some, it has the opposite of the effect it's meant to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Gerrard's not messing about. Carney should take that as a massive compliment. If Gerrard didnt think he could make it he wouldn't be saying these things. He pretty clearly just wants him to play and keep developing him, but why do that if the player is going to leave in 18 months? 

If Carney says 'no" then thats fine and we should respect that, its his career.

We should probably just play him in the U23's for a year till he is done and focus on bringing through the other players who want to be here and compete because its their careers as well. A bench spot in this star studded first team is a coveted spot indeed.

If he doesnt feel he has what it takes to make it here then we should give his spot to another youth player who has that drive.

For sure he will find an easier ride and more playing time somewhere else at a smaller club and if thats what he wants then fair enough. Not everyone has the drive to want to make it to the top.

Gerrard is very clever isnt he. Call him out in public and then shower him with compliments when he does.  But also below that say he is perfectly happy to keep him till the end of the contract to try and change his mind. Shot across the bows of the agent there. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Wait?! He's got 18 months left on his contract. Wtf is all the fuss about? 

Principle of it. We've invested huge amounts into the academy the last few years. And he's the biggest - and crucially, first - big talent to come out of this new wave.

There's the PR of losing him after specifically calling him out at just 16 years old as the best in the country. 

There's posturing of our position in the wider Academy football sphere of being seen to holding and bringing through key talents and becoming a destination for big talents to come and make their way. We've done a big job on that at Academy level but if we want to be Dortmund, Leipzig, Salzburg we need to also bring them into the first XI convincingly.

Then there's the the warning shot to those just behind Carney on the conveyor belt about how we deal with it when they play fast and loose with our time and investment and that we don't create a precedent of being pushovers and being used as a stepping stone before they've even scored a senior goal.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

What I don't get is why he's in the team, I suppose he's being given till the summer and given the nice treatment, then doubt he'll even play for the U23s if he makes the decision to leave and he'll be bombed out for the year.

Be a shame though

Would be a massive shame but if he thinks being the youngest central midfielder to be given a start in the premier since Fabregas isnt enough for him , tailored with the fact we have carefully nurtured him since 12  , and that one of the greatest midfielders ever to play in the Prem wants him to sign a conract to play for him,  and has a pathway for him to do so  then he and his agent have to lie in the bed that they have made. 

I just think that his agent is an absolute clearing in the woods to allegedly say that he wont be signing a contract with 18 months left on it . He is **** with the lads future 

When you're signing first team players on £150k a week, Carney's agents are probably asking for more money rather than being unhappy with staying at Villa.

I would imagine they're probably asking for treble what we're offering.

Is that the best thing for his prospects as a footballer? Nope.

Is it best for his family's bank account? Yes.

It's not all upside when signing top, expensive players in their prime. Knock on goes all the way through the club.

This won't be the first contract we struggle to extend now the ceiling has been lifted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

When you're signing first team players on £150k a week, Carney's agents are probably asking for more money rather than being unhappy with staying at Villa.

I would imagine they're probably asking for treble what we're offering.

Is that the best thing for his prospects as a footballer? Nope.

Is it best for his family's bank account? Yes.

It's not all upside when signing top, expensive players in their prime. Knock on goes all the way through the club.

This won't be the first contract we struggle to extend now the ceiling has been lifted.

It's always about the money. Villa is trying to low ball him which is tough to do after calling him the best prospect of his age group. 

Villa will either pay up or he will get his money as a free transfer in 18 months. 

4 hours ago, useless said:

These are Gerrard's quotes when asked about his future...

"I think that's a question quite clearly for Carney. The only thing that I can say to fulfil your question is that we want to keep him here. We rate the player. We've committed to the player. He's got 18 months left so, if that situation doesn't change, then he'll be here for 18 months. We'll continue to support him. We want him to sign and to extend and reward him for what we've seen so far. We've got big aspirations and a big road map for Carney but, in terms of answering your question, there's only one person who can answer and that's Carney. You should ask Tommy (head of communications) if you can maybe do an interview with him!"

If you ignore the spin the Birmingham Mail have put on the quotes by calling  them 'Powerful stuff from Gerrard',  and 'a direct message', and the rest, and just look at Gerrard's quotes in isolation, all he has done is answered the question, he isn't calling Chukwuemeka out, because he's done nothing that needs calling out, i'm still baffled as to why people are framing the situation as if he's in the wrong or is somehow treating the club badly, he's got nineteen months left on his current deal, it doesn't end until October of next year, this year is only fifteen days old.

As much as I'd like him to sign a longer deal, I can understand that he hasn't commited to a longer deal yet, he will surely want to see how things go this season, what would be the point in signing a long term deal but then not being able to get into the side because of all our signings costing tens of millions of pounds, he's going to want to see signs that's not going to be the case, if he signs a deal and we barely use him that could be detrimental to his whole career, just as much as leaving us to join the wrong club potentially could do the same, so it's a big decision to make.

I'm sure if we start giving him more game time then he will be more inclined to see his long term future with us, as it stands he hasn't even played two games worth of Premier League football this season, if that improves between now and the end of the season, then I imagine there will be a much better chance of him signing a new deal in the summer.

Problem is that not signing means he won't get the game time as why would we commit more game time to develop a player who's going to walk away and sign for another club. I would not play Carney again until he signs a deal. If he doesn't sign he can play U23s for next 18 months 

• Like 3

We do not know the details of what Carney is asking for, if he is asking for more money then what JJ is on, he is out of order.

He needs to understand that if he works hard and is good enough he will break through and he will earn himself a good deal. If he leaves he will have the same issue at most comparable clubs to us, or at best he gets more money going to a sub par club where he will struggle to show his talent in a poor team.

He needs to be patient and sign up to whatever we are offering because we want what's best for him and the club.

27 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We do not know the details of what Carney is asking for, if he is asking for more money then what JJ is on, he is out of order.

Why?

He probably thinks he's better than any of Trez, Traore, Ashley Young. He probably is.

They'll all be on much more than he's being offered.

He needs to understand that if he works hard and is good enough he will break through and he will earn himself a good deal. If he leaves he will have the same issue at most comparable clubs to us, or at best he gets more money going to a sub par club where he will struggle to show his talent in a poor team.

Yeah problems maybe the same problems, but he'll be earning over £2m a year to soften the blow. Tough to not focus on that.

He needs to be patient and sign up to whatever we are offering because we want what's best for him and the club.

He'll run 100 miles if we're saying this to him. We're past the Fergies if the world saying "There's your contract, sign it". 

Is football better for it? Probably not, but I'd rather the players take the money and not the men upstairs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Why?

He probably thinks he's better than any of Trez, Traore, Ashley Young. He probably is.

They'll all be on much more than he's being offered.

Yeah problems maybe the same problems, but he'll be earning over £2m a year to soften the blow. Tough to not focus on that.

He'll run 100 miles if we're saying this to him. We're past the Fergies if the world saying "There's your contract, sign it". 

Is football better for it? Probably not, but I'd rather the players take the money and not the men upstairs.

His age has to come into it for me, the players that he may think he is better then have been on the pitch and made an impact, they also come in from day one on  more money. 

We do not know how advanced the talks are and the amounts and assurances he has on the table for us. 

I don't think the situation is that its a poor offer from the club and at the take it or leave stage, the club will not be trying to massively short change him. The club will have his and the clubs best interest at heart, we will not want to lose him but we also won't let his agent take the piss. He's not Bellingham level good, he cannot be expecting that's how things are going to go for me, he needs to realistic, agree a fair contract and be understudy to some pretty special players and make sure he takes his chances when they come along.

We cannot throw silly money at kids, it could be detrimental to their fortunes on the grass.

He has the opportunity to train with and learn from Coutihno and Gerrard, or take his chance elsewhere and who knows, have a Cullum O'Hare type of path.

• Like 1

Â