Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

It just Baffles me how teams like Southampton can pick up a CDM like Orial Romeu for £5 mill.....no wonder they are a well balanced team.....a durable, combative type to compliment the ward Prowses.....its what we are missing.

A player like that would give us contrast and balance in the squad.....they are out there.

These players are available if we have the nous to spot  them.

we have spent twice that on Nakamba.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I wonder if one of the youngster we're trying to sign could be Noah Ohio, was originally at Man CIty then moved Leipzig, think we could probably do with another striker in our U23s.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Were we not in for Leroy Get last January? I see him as a similar player to Romeu

I don't know.....i think we showed interest in Steven Nzozi, who would have kept us up imo......but he chose to play in France.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't know.....i think we showed interest in Steven Nzozi, who would have kept us up imo......but he chose to play in France.

I mean in the window we picked up Carroll. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

It just Baffles me how teams like Southampton can pick up a CDM like Orial Romeu for £5 mill.....no wonder they are a well balanced team.....a durable, combative type to compliment the ward Prowses.....its what we are missing.

A player like that would give us contrast and balance in the squad.....they are out there.

Romeu didn't play much in his first half/ 3/4 of a season. Bits off the bench, subbed after a while, on the bench. Southampton fans werent keen at all at the start. This was coming into an already settled squad.

He wouldn't have been given the chance here because that midfielder that some other team signed for a bit less five years before was doing a lot better than him now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

He signed for Southampton 5 years ago - transfer fees in the Prem have inflated a fair bit since then.

Price is also no indicator of quality - see Joelinton at £40mn

I do agree our scouting needs to be better though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, punkymonkey666 said:

He signed for Southampton 5 years ago - transfer fees in the Prem have inflated a fair bit since then.

40 million nillions?

That's expensive 4 sure.

• Confused 1

Its not such much the transfer money, its the wages. Villa were banded as one of the biggest spenders in Europe but 1-that was based on net spend, we hardly sold anyone and 2-I suspect the wages most of the new boys are on are fairly low  in the admittedly ridiculously expensive premier league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

IF we by some miracle stay up I wonder if we could lure Mata as part of the deal for Jack? 

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'd rather have Tuanzebe and 40 million quid.

I wouldn't spend 40m on tuanzebe, he's been injured a lot this season again hasn't he?, and that to his injuries with us and he seems quite brittle.

That aside though, we currently have 4 championship capable central defenders, would rather take all the money for Jack and spend it elsewhere. (Midfield and out wide)

Our history with part x deals is disgusting (Taylor for ayew, Ireland for Milner.......urgh)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I wouldn't spend 40m on tuanzebe, he's been injured a lot this season again hasn't he?, and that to his injuries with us and he seems quite brittle.

That aside though, we currently have 4 championship capable central defenders, would rather take all the money for Jack and spend it elsewhere. (Midfield and out wide)

Our history with part x deals is disgusting (Taylor for ayew, Ireland for Milner.......urgh)

No. 40 million. And Tuanzebe thrown it. For Grealish.

The last defender/midfielder from Manyew did quite well for us. Winky thing.

And I don't mean Ronnie Johnson.

Edited by The Fun Factory

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No. 40 million. And Tuanzebe thrown it. For Grealish.

The last defender/midfielder from Manyew did quite well for us. Winky thing.

And I don't mean Ronnie Johnson.

Well that's 40m then isn't it, if the board say they won't accept less than 80 for grealish?

Granted that might be a bit hopeful, but still.

I might accept 40m plus tuanzebe and mctominay :P

If we get relegated there is no chance we will get 80 mil for Grealish. He will want to leave and clubs will play hardball with us. People will say Maguire was sold for 80 million but Leceister were in the prem and by then he was an established England international, not a promising player with about 3 years of top flight experience. Given Covid all tranfers will be depressed even in the Premier League. I would say 50 million would be optimistic if you ask any non Villa fan. Sorry just my view.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Romeu didn't play much in his first half/ 3/4 of a season. Bits off the bench, subbed after a while, on the bench. Southampton fans werent keen at all at the start. This was coming into an already settled squad.

He wouldn't have been given the chance here because that midfielder that some other team signed for a bit less five years before was doing a lot better than him now.

Always excuses with us though isn't it?...I was highlighting the type to go for.....sure there can reasons surrounding any player, why we shouldn't have gone for them, maybe there are better examples to be had too.....but the point of the type of player and the cost, was the essence of my point.....if we mention a better example, folk say, we can' t afford him or he wouldn't come to us.....

we can find any amount of reasons to legitimise us going down....maybe we should look  for more reasons, why we should have stayed up.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I mean in the window we picked up Carroll. 

And Baston in another window.

It really highlights a never ending string of failed signings before and after the new Owners got here, it never seems to stop does it.

We are stupid when it comes to signings players are we not???

I see maybe one player coming along fine who we've signed this season and that's Luiz. It says something when our Best signing came from Man City and the next best this season came from Barcelona whos not even playing im our first team, we do things daft around Villa

Edited by Dave-R

4 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

Price is not the be all and end , but it is an indicator of quality.

That is not to say, opportunities with modest fee's are not out there, it just means the scouting has to be sharper and better connected to the network.....it also means managers have to be better focused on the need for contrasting types of players in a squad.....so he can alter tactics in a game.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Price is not the be all and end , but it is an indicator of quality.

That is not to say, opportunities with modest fee's are not out there, it just means the scouting has to be sharper and better connected to the network.....it also means managers have to be better focused on the need for contrasting types of players in a squad.....so he can alter tactics in a game.

I was speaking to a sheff utd fan whos the grounds keeper round my place as i live in yorkshire. Well he also reckons that Villas mistake was buying inexperienced players that cost a fair amount of money, that we knew nothing about them yet still splashed a fair bit. Guess what he was trying to say is that for the price we paid for alot of them we sure splashed more cash than we actually should of. Also said the other mistake was that we got rid of the stable promotion team and didn't splash out on players that were well known in the business and attracted player at 30 mill and up. 

I must say I agree with him,, that we could of been in a better position having last season's squad and just adding experience, quality players who are playing in and around this league and English football regularly in the first team. Spending 150 million on around  five players and keeping last season's squad in place certainly should of yielded better results than what we have obtained now sitting here in the relegation zone.

I Guess we will never know what could of been from that scenario, I wished we had of done it that way, than the way we have with a fresh green team who have not touched this side of football before. Thing is if we bounce back on up next season, under Smith, Jesus and Purslow, I feel we will sign more of the same and that's a worry for me.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

You could argue that Southampton signing Romeu was the same type of signing of Douglas Luiz. Romeu was at Chelsea, not getting games, going out on loan, went to Southampton. Luiz at city couldn’t play due to work permit, went out on loan. Came here