Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

7 minutes ago, sne said:

We didn't have a stable promotion team. Last seasons squad was on loan or out of contract and has since retired. Keeping them was never an option. 

We had to spend something like £30m-35m just to get back Mings, El Ghazi and Hause. Getting Tammy and Tuanzebe would have been another £70m-80m. 

Not one of the players we released would have been able to make any (positive) impact for us in the PL. DeLaet, Bjarnason, Jedi, Hutton, Whelan, Micah Richards, Tshibola, Adomah, Gardner, McCormack... Which are these players that we should have kept who would have saved our season?

The way the squad was put together in the 3 years in the Championship left us with no option but to bring in 15-20 new players. It is and was a joke.

Can only hope that next season we can keep all of our good players (exc grealish), spend wisely and improve the team, then come right up stronger.

Hope........hah.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

We didn't have a stable promotion team. Last seasons squad was on loan or out of contract and has since retired. Keeping them was never an option. 

We had to spend something like £30m-35m just to get back Mings, El Ghazi and Hause. Getting Tammy and Tuanzebe would have been another £70m-80m. 

Not one of the players we released would have been able to make any (positive) impact for us in the PL. DeLaet, Bjarnason, Jedi, Hutton, Whelan, Micah Richards, Tshibola, Adomah, Gardner, McCormack... Which are these players that we should have kept who would have saved our season?

The way the squad was put together in the 3 years in the Championship left us with no option but to bring in 15-20 new players. It is and was a joke.

Trouble is those players coming in had not " Earned promotion"...

it was without doubt a tricky situation.....many of us was excited at the business, not really knowing the players abilities, but in my mind simply didn't sign players who could stop or contain the opposition, we was pre occupied with what we wamted to do and forgot about what this league wanted to do to us.

We simply got it wrong.

I think the team that got promotion was primarily based on c 5 players, the rest were questionable and I think that was our biggest problem.....one was central to that promotion and was on loan......we have not had a balanced team for some time.

I still think a decent CDM would have kept us up......and should we go down, will be crucial in gaining automatic promotion, i was hoping Nakamba would be that player, but so far, no.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Trouble is those players coming in had not " Earned promotion"...

it was without doubt a tricky situation.....many of us was excited at the business, not really knowing the players abilities, but in my mind simply didn't sign players who could stop or contain the opposition, we was pre occupied with what we wamted to do and forgot about what this league wanted to do to us.

We simply got it wrong.

I think the team that got promotion was primarily based on c 5 players, the rest were questionable and I think that was our biggest problem.....one was central to that promotion and was on loan......we have not had a balanced team for some time.

I still think a decent CDM would have kept us up......and should we go down, will be crucial in gaining automatic promotion, i was hoping Nakamba would be that player, but so far, no.

Yeah we absolutely did not get it right, I mean it was extremely difficult with so much that had to be done in record short time but still.

For me it is a quality wide player and a proper attacker that would have made the most difference as it would have allowed to keep the ball longer higher up the pitch.

Edited by sne
Typo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You could argue that Southampton signing Romeu was the same type of signing of Douglas Luiz. Romeu was at Chelsea, not getting games, going out on loan, went to Southampton. Luiz at city couldn’t play due to work permit, went out on loan. Came here 

Yes you could and at present, since lockdown,  I think Dougie has been our best player......however over the season, he has not.

I think Romeu has more physical presence and is better equipped to protect the back four, more rugged and combative to show the necessary aggression, required to nullify the oppositions initiative.

Its all opinions and someone might have a better example.than Romeu.....i don't think Dougie is a CDM, even if we play him there.

53 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I was speaking to a sheff utd fan whos the grounds keeper round my place as i live in yorkshire. Well he also reckons that Villas mistake was buying inexperienced players that cost a fair amount of money, that we knew nothing about them yet still splashed a fair bit. Guess what he was trying to say is that for the price we paid for alot of them we sure splashed more cash than we actually should of. Also said the other mistake was that we got rid of the stable promotion team and didn't splash out on players that were well known in the business and attracted player at 30 mill and up. 

I must say I agree with him,, that we could of been in a better position having last season's squad and just adding experience, quality players who are playing in and around this league and English football regularly in the first team. Spending 150 million on around  five players and keeping last season's squad in place certainly should of yielded better results than what we have obtained now sitting here in the relegation zone.

I Guess we will never know what could of been from that scenario, I wished we had of done it that way, than the way we have with a fresh green team who have not touched this side of football before. Thing is if we bounce back on up next season, under Smith, Jesus and Purslow, I feel we will sign more of the same and that's a worry for me.

Clearly he knew nothing about our situation because that's the wrong end of the stick totally.

We didn't have a stable promotion team, we had very few players at all in fact. Four key players in the play-off team were on loan. Two (three if you include Jedinak) were out of contract. We had our third choice keeper in goal. It was ramshackle.

How could we afford to "splash out" on £30m players when we need at least 10 to even have a squad? You can't spend 25% of your budget on one player when you need 10.

What promotion team could we have stuck with to build on? Whelan? Adomah? Replacing them with younger players definitely the right move.

Just because Suso **** us over doesn't mean our approach was wrong. We just had the wrong guy buying the players.

Nothing wrong with inexperienced players if they're good. We cocked up and signed bad ones. It's very very easy to not buy bad players. Go away Suso.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah we absolutely did not get it right, I mean it was extremely difficult with so much that had to be done in record short time but still.

For me it is a quality wide player and a proper attacker that would have made the most difference as it would have allowed to keep the ball longer higher up the pitch.

I can't argue with that....except for a spell earlier on in the season, we was scoring goals.

my overall feeling of the season is we simply yielded the initiative too often, we couldn't contain or stop the opposition, the team was designed to go at the opposition, under valuing their ability to attack us.....we were too soft in midfield.....final answer.lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Clearly he knew nothing about our situation because that's the wrong end of the stick totally.

We didn't have a stable promotion team, we had very few players at all in fact. Four key players in the play-off team were on loan. Two (three if you include Jedinak) were out of contract. We had our third choice keeper in goal. It was ramshackle.

How could we afford to "splash out" on £30m players when we need at least 10 to even have a squad? You can't spend 25% of your budget on one player when you need 10.

What promotion team could we have stuck with to build on? Whelan? Adomah? Replacing them with younger players definitely the right move.

Just because Suso **** us over doesn't mean our approach was wrong. We just had the wrong guy buying the players.

Nothing wrong with inexperienced players if they're good. We cocked up and signed bad ones. It's very very easy to not buy bad players. Go away Suso.

I partly agree with you......but i have been impressed with the sheff utd model and how Wilder has go so much from them.

However, what we don't know, is what type of players he was told to look for....or was he lazily relying too much on sub agents or was it more sinister than that.

This is no way designed to defend him, but unless we know the full details its hard to make a proper judgment of where it went wrong....and it is highly unlikely we ever will.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

We obviously haven't got it right but it was a tough rebuild last summer. Two of the loans we couldn't get back and Whelan, Hutton, Jedinak and Albert were not going to hack it in the prem. They all contributed last season but none of them have pulled up any trees at their respective clubs this year. We still need to think strategic and loan term, but sometimes you have to compromise the big picture with some short term deals. A couple of quality loans could have made a difference this year. Its a difficult balancing act but we didn't get it right last summer.

In my opinion to so stubbornly refuse to enter the loan market was arrogant and ultimately I don't want the person(s) on our recruitment team. Smith has his culpability and so do the players, however Purlsow and/or Suso put unnecessary restrictions on the players who we could get it in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In my opinion to so stubbornly refuse to enter the loan market was arrogant and ultimately I don't want the person(s) on our recruitment team. Smith has his culpability and so do the players, however Purlsow and/or Suso put unnecessary restrictions on the players who we could get it in.

I do agree that we could of brought in some quality that would of given us more a fighting chance if we had of used loans to the fullest, criminal that was.

Who did we go for Drinkwater, Reina was only because Heaton got injured right?? We should of done better in that department.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think it was naive more than arrogance if ask me. I could understand Purslow point as we had to rebuild a squad because we had so many loan players and its better to have our own players instead of borrowing from others

We do have actually more loan players in our squad than the other teams left in the relegation fight 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it was naive more than arrogance if ask me. I could understand Purslow point as we had to rebuild a squad because we had so many loan players and its better to have our own players instead of borrowing from others

We do have actually more loan players in our squad than the other teams left in the relegation fight 

Yeah but they were desperate loans in the summer, rather than well planned ones! Would we have gone for Drinkwater and Reina in pre-season planning. I can agree with it being more naive than arrogant, although I remember Purslow being interviewed before the season started and some of his answers sounded arrogant to me.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

2 hours ago, TRO said:

My suggestion:- Baptiste Santamaria (Angers SCO) France.. His age  25 year's old a solid DCM.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

Why do so many seem to think we’ve signed bad players?

When we went down we also har a lot of foreign players that didn’t perform. But most of them have done quite well since then. 

We did what we had to last summer. A lot of money went to buy players that were already here. The rest was spent on players with potential. If we stay up I think most of them will improve.

New teammates, new league, new country. It takes some time to adjust. 

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

My suggestion:- Baptiste Santamaria (Angers SCO) France.. His age  25 year's old a solid DCM.

We were linked to him in either the summer or January I'm sure.