Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Dwight Gayle scored 46 goals in the past 2 seasons he played in Championship. How many goals have Keinan Davis scored to date??  What is this forums obsession with mediocre (at best) players just because they are from our academy. 

Anyway, I'll have to say Gayle would be the perfect companion to a player like Wesley. We need someone agile and pacey. It's what we lack. Whether it's Gayle, or someone in his mold, doesn't really matter. But Gayle has proven to be capable of scoring 20 goals in Championship.. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Does anyone understand how the Championship wage cap will work? In so far as I'm aware, for teams with players who signed contracts in the Premier League, those contracts are counted at a nominal figure of £500k per season and contracts for U21's don't count against the limit at all - I believe the limit is £18m - we might still struggle to hit that - so we might end up looking to sign players that are under 21 to hit the wage limit. 

I don't fully understand it, and if others don't, I'd suggest listening to one of Kieran Maguire's Price of Football podcast. Believe he talked about it on one previously, which could be informative.

I also just don't see how it can be enforceable right during this time. (oh and I'd have to look at the numbers, but I would not be surprised at all if at least 1/2 of C'Ship clubs were over the spending threshold 

• Like 1

As much as I want us to build a team, I think we’ll need to use loans again to have the quality needed. I’d possibly buy 2-3, loan 2-3. Depending on Who’ll be going. Assuming it’s only Grealish.

18 hours ago, KH** said:

We should look at Antonee Robinson from Wigan 

He nearly signed for AC Milan in the January window but for a heart problem (since resolved) that was discovered during his medical. He's going to a top-tier club.

5 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I don't fully understand it, and if others don't, I'd suggest listening to one of Kieran Maguire's Price of Football podcast. Believe he talked about it on one previously, which could be informative.

I also just don't see how it can be enforceable right during this time. (oh and I'd have to look at the numbers, but I would not be surprised at all if at least 1/2 of C'Ship clubs were over the spending threshold 

Thank you - I'll have a listen.

It's odd, in that as far as I can tell, it's not quite formalised yet - the league have written to the PFA about their intention and the PFA have declared it 'illegal' on the basis that it is restricting the earning potential of its members, but it looks like they still want to push ahead. The difficulty for the Championship (and League's 1 & 2) is the interim period where most contracts were negotiated prior to any regulation and the effect that retrospectively imposing regulation on those contracts has - there's already talk of allowances for the relegated teams, the omission of players under 21 and special dispensations for contracts that were agreed in one division and will be regulated in another - it's a bit of a mishmash right now.

It's hard to see how they will be able to finalise and bring into play a full set of legislation and impose it on a competition that starts in seven weeks time - how on earth do Championship clubs make signings for a competition that's imminent without a full understanding of the limitations that will apply?

To me it looks like a mess waiting to happen.

Oh and as a note - if Stoke were relegated, they have individual players who earn more than the proposed squad limit for League One.

• Like 1

Seen it suggested that any salary cap will just lead to bigger signing on fees for players and therefore bigger transfer fees. In other words there will be a way around it somehow

8 hours ago, Alakagom said:

Dwight Gayle scored 46 goals in the past 2 seasons he played in Championship. How many goals have Keinan Davis scored to date??  What is this forums obsession with mediocre (at best) players just because they are from our academy. 

Anyway, I'll have to say Gayle would be the perfect companion to a player like Wesley. We need someone agile and pacey. It's what we lack. Whether it's Gayle, or someone in his mold, doesn't really matter. But Gayle has proven to be capable of scoring 20 goals in Championship.. 

Gayle is 29 years old.

9 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Dwight Gayle is garbage. What a total waste of money that would be. He is also a total tool. Wes and Samatta are so much better than him and hopefully Kienan will be soon.

He isn’t garbage. He is guaranteed goals in the league we will be playing in next year. I agree he is a tool, but that bit wouldn’t bother me I’m the slightest. 

9 hours ago, Alakagom said:

30 years old no chance of a resale so wont be bought. We would rather spend 10m on a 25 year old from abroad we will have to loan out for the next 3 years to get him to **** off.

• Like 1

In the three seasons before signing for us McCormack had scored 66 goals in the championship and assisted 30.

Wouldn't be against Gayle, would probably be the closest we could get to what we had with Tammy Abraham, in terms of a player that's more than likely going to get you goals at that level.

But I think we have to guard against signing a bunch of players that have good stats in the championship and throwing them together and hoping it works, we kind of tried that the last time and it didn't really work, you need to build a team and give them a gameplan.

Actually wouldn't be surpised to see Albion go back for Gayle if they get promoted.

• Like 1

There comes a time we need to buy established players who can play and not just gamble on potential.

I’m all for having one eye on the future but the here and now is where the immediate concern should be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Fix the supply chain and even the attackers we have might score some goals.

This. As poor as Davis and Samatta have been. The service they get has been awful. We look clueless when we get Into final 1/3 of the pitch.

Some players that can cross the ball well on a consistent basis would be a great start.

• Like 1

Better full backs will also help that. Modern full backs assist plenty. Especially when your midfield dominates as we would hope ours would.

Let's start with buying the best young full backs we can find. That have potential to be top flight players.

49 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

He isn’t garbage. He is guaranteed goals in the league we will be playing in next year. I agree he is a tool, but that bit wouldn’t bother me I’m the slightest. 

But we are then left with another player who is not good enough for the PL when we get promoted. It’s too short term. We have strikers who can develop in the Championship, score loads of goals and still make it in the PL (Wes definitely, Ally probably, Kienan hopefully). Our problem is not up top. We will be fine in defence too. It’s the bit in between that needs addressing. The supply chain to our forwards is poor at best.

Just now, M_Afro said:

But we are then left with another player who is not good enough for the PL when we get promoted. It’s too short term. We have strikers who can develop in the Championship, score loads of goals and still make it in the PL (Wes definitely, Ally probably, Kienan hopefully). Our problem is not up top. We will be fine in defence too. It’s the bit in between that needs addressing. The supply chain to our forwards is poor at best.

I think you are pinning you hopes on our current strikers scoring the goals to have us promoted or at least be up towards the top of the league, but that is far from certain.

12 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Dwight Gayle is garbage. What a total waste of money that would be. He is also a total tool. Wes and Samatta are so much better than him and hopefully Kienan will be soon.

I think I agree, hasnt he only scored 20+ goals in a six year period?

Its goals none the less but people make out hes been scoring tons of them and hes not.

Think it's more so he pops up with a goal against us and if we go on like that then wed be signing at least two players from every team in the championship and premier the way players have been netting goals against us.

Scoring against us at the moment doesnt make you a professional, at this rate sunday teams would find the net against us.

We don’t need to spend £10m plus on a 29/30 year old.  Although I do think Gayle, even on loan, would be guaranteed goals.

Karlan Grant is 22 years of age and can easily score enough goals or us.  Doubt Huddersfield could ask for such a high figure as they could be playing League One football soon.

If Boro keep declining I wouldn’t be against Britt Assombalonga.  27 years of age and proven at Championship level.  I very much doubt his fee would be as high as £10m.

We shouldn’t ignore someone like Ivan Toney either, 24 years of age, 24 goals this season.  Could do a job for us and very likely to improve. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1