Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We were linked to him in either the summer or January I'm sure.

I know mate, we was first linked in summer 2018 i've watched  him since then. He's in my opinion a good player.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/west-ham-everton-aston-villa-to-return-for-angers-midfielder-baptiste-santamaria/

L’Équipe report that Premier League trio Everton, West Ham United and Aston Villa are poised to return for Angers’ French midfielder Baptiste Santamaria about a possible January move.

The 24-year-old is also highly sought after by Italian clubs. Le SCO are seeking to extend his contract with a wage hike, with Santamaria currently tied down until 2022. The player himself would prefer a move to a side offering European football, should he leave.

Aston Villa notably already bid €10m for the Frenchman in summer.

Edited by Villan4Life

59 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I know mate, we was first linked in summer 2018 i've watched  him since then. He's in my opinion a good player.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/west-ham-everton-aston-villa-to-return-for-angers-midfielder-baptiste-santamaria/

It's mad we decided to go for Nakamba over this guy. 

Who is watching the targets? How can they have so little clue.

38 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's mad we decided to go for Nakamba over this guy. 

Who is watching the targets? How can they have so little clue.

How can you be so sure that we did?   As I recall, the links to Santamaria came first and then shifted to Nakamba, quite possibly because Santamaria didn't want to come or his club didn't want to sell at a reasonable price.

It's going to be tricky to get right back up and yet avoid being in the same situation as this year.  If we bring in people like Gayle and Murray, supplemented with buying top Championship players we may find we're right back where we were a year ago:   A number of key promotion players too old and/or not quite good enough to be starters in the PL and having to spend big just to fill out a squad.  It may almost be better to get some strong prospects for smaller fees and lower wages that may take a year in the Champs to develop, understanding that some would develop and some might not, then build on the squad for a second year if we don't go up.   If we then go up the 2nd year the PL money can be used to buy a few quality players to improve a settled squad rather than rebuild.   We'd never keep Luiz, Mings or McGinn for 2 years, obviously, but I think that's more what the owners were aiming to do when they took over.  Success may have come too soon for the best long term outcome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silent_Bob said:

Why do so many seem to think we’ve signed bad players?

When we went down we also har a lot of foreign players that didn’t perform. But most of them have done quite well since then. 

We did what we had to last summer. A lot of money went to buy players that were already here. The rest was spent on players with potential. If we stay up I think most of them will improve.

New teammates, new league, new country. It takes some time to adjust. 

It was a gamble - many just were not ready for PL football but they could well be good players in time.

That’s why the club will persevere with Smith - despite what the publicity talk was, I think all concerned knew it would be a challenge to stay up

I expect that we will add a little more experience in the close season, not necessarily “old”players but with knowledge of the English game.

If we can then come back up then we should have a more rounded squad, and a couple of years experience under the belt 

***also the idea of sticking with the promotion squad is completely flawed - we had to do what we did and it still has a ( slim) chance of working - fine margins

With the squad we currently have, we just need 2 very astute loans and 3/4 players on top of that to challenge at the top of the championship.

Look at Ben White at Leeds, Tammy and Axel last year, Pereira at the Baggies. Loan signings are key, and a great way to balance the books. 

We can’t afford to dismiss them again next season. Literally. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In my opinion to so stubbornly refuse to enter the loan market was arrogant and ultimately I don't want the person(s) on our recruitment team. Smith has his culpability and so do the players, however Purlsow and/or Suso put unnecessary restrictions on the players who we could get it in.

It was crazy not using the loan market to supplement our other business. It was also then crazy to go totally the other way in January and loan 2 footballers who basically retired years ago! Bonkers.

I am pretty sure Smith supported the no loans model though, as well as lots of people on here.

Us not using loan market in the summer isn't the reason that we're in trouble now, we spent £140m the reason we're in trouble is because we didn't spend that money very well...

I don't blame the club for having a policy against loan signings without an option to buy, relying on those and not building a team with a long term strategy in mind as a championship club is partly why we had to buy so many players last summer and as a consequence are in trouble now. Loans with an option to buy are fine, but without such an option I'd limit it to maybe one and then only if it's for someone who it's obvious is going to be well worth it, such was the case with Abraham.

8 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

He looks very similar to Luis. I think we need someone with more energy. A real Duracell bunny that just never stops. Someone more alike to Kante 

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It was crazy not using the loan market to supplement our other business. It was also then crazy to go totally the other way in January and loan 2 footballers who basically retired years ago! Bonkers.

I am pretty sure Smith supported the no loans model though, as well as lots of people on here.

A hell of a lot of fans were very vocal about the loan market being used to develop other teams players. Whilst nobody wants to see us do that if it means the difference between relegation or staying up I think the idea should at least be considered. 

Purslow seems like the type of guy that ensures he always says what’s the fans want to hear. Wouldn’t suprise me if it was ultimately his decision that there would be no loan signings. He seems to make it quite clear we wouldn’t loan players anymore. 

Id be suprised if Smith supported it. As a coach you would want to coach the best players regardless of if are on loan or not. I bet he wouldn’t have been complaining about having Tammy and Axel in the team last season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

How can you be so sure that we did?   As I recall, the links to Santamaria came first and then shifted to Nakamba, quite possibly because Santamaria didn't want to come or his club didn't want to sell at a reasonable price.

Dean Smith told me.

There seems to be quite a divide between the people who are focusing more on the short term vs. those who are looking at the long term. 

The reality is that both are important, but if I'm looking to sacrifice one for the other, I'll take some short term issues all day long. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I do, he’s a very good looking lad, good player too

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Serious question. Why do you always write this? Is it because of a marketability angle?

We aren't trying to sell jeans here.....

(Name the book/film)