Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I don't think or two sigings like Gayle would be too bad, but despite only having a year on his contract he wouldn't come cheap, would be £10m plus maybe around £15m and would be on big wages as well. It certainly shouldn't be a transfer policy, that's kind of the mistake we made the last we down there, signing a load of older players with premier league experience, didn't really work.

25 minutes ago, MCU said:

These are the type of players we need to go for, and move away from your £15m Kodjia’s and McCormacks.

From a Championship perspective , these big signings we’ve made in the past have rarely paid off for us. (And ultimately made us look stupid)

We need to reign it in, get a couple cheap but experienced players in (ie Murray, Gayle, Rodriguez etc) and get the morale boosted again with the squad we have.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Completely disagree

We sign Murray, gayle etc win the championship next year and then do what with them? They aren't playing PL games for us, they aren't being sold to anyone

We need young players to develop, we need the next Benrahma before anyone else gets him, we step up they step up and we keep going from there 

In reality that probably means we need players none of us have heard of 

I think it's somewhere in the middle perhaps leaning more to villa4europe. One or two experienced players to help out, added with alot more players to develop. Too many players that are experienced, old or not prem league standard and we will be in the same position as last summer.

Too many inexperienced players that we haven't heard of and we have what happened this season to an extent..

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Completely disagree

We sign Murray, gayle etc win the championship next year and then do what with them? They aren't playing PL games for us, they aren't being sold to anyone

We need young players to develop, we need the next Benrahma before anyone else gets him, we step up they step up and we keep going from there 

Like El Ghazi and Trez? 

You need to have the right balance. By all means look for the next breakthrough stars from somewhere, but then in key positions you need to litter the squad with experience, guile and leaders. 

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Glenn Murray anyone?

Too late that should have been in January. Even on a short term deal. I’d like to think they can be a bit more creative. I’m sure they’re now planning for targets already...

oh no, sorry they’re probably not.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't think or two sigings like Gayle would be too bad, but despite only having a year on his contract he wouldn't come cheap, would be £10m plus maybe around £15m and would be on big wages as well. It certainly shouldn't be a transfer policy, that's kind of the mistake we made the last we down there, signing a load of older players with premier league experience, didn't really work.

Dwight Gayle if Newcastle are taken over will not be there next season. I’d take him simply because he guarantees goals in the Championship. I don’t like him, but yep I’d take him for his goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

You just know with Dwight Gayle we're getting promoted. He is a Don in the second tier. 

He has as many relegations from the Championship as promotions ;) 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He guarantees goals in the Championship and that is exactly where we are heading though. I can see the reasoning behind people thinking he’d be a good signing.

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

He guarantees goals in the Championship and that is exactly where we are heading though. I can see the reasoning behind people thinking he’d be a good signing.

I was only making a joke about it 😛

I would take him on loan only. not permanent

Does anyone understand how the Championship wage cap will work? In so far as I'm aware, for teams with players who signed contracts in the Premier League, those contracts are counted at a nominal figure of £500k per season and contracts for U21's don't count against the limit at all - I believe the limit is £18m - we might still struggle to hit that - so we might end up looking to sign players that are under 21 to hit the wage limit. 

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh, this doesn't really mean much, it very much depends on the team he's playing for. It's like saying Robertson has as many relegations from the prem as premier league titles. 

Just now, WooJung said:

Eh, this doesn't really mean much, it very much depends on the team he's playing for. It's like saying Robertson has as many relegations from the prem as premier league titles. 

well as I said was just a joke, but Robertson actually has more relegations than titles ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

well as I said was just a joke, but Robertson actually has more relegations than titles ;) 

Indeed, I just checked :)

Yeah, the point is, you can be a very good player in a very good side. Just like Jack isn't a bottom 3 premier league player, no matter what his current dorm suggests :)

7 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Indeed, I just checked :)

Yeah, the point is, you can be a very good player in a very good side. Just like Jack isn't a bottom 3 premier league player, no matter what his current dorm suggests :)

of course, though some people on here would look down on us signing a player that was relegated from the Championship :P  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Completely disagree

Gulibert, Engels, Nakamba?

I think there's a danger of adopting the same policy as last summer. It's important to remember it shouldn't be either/or as seemed to be the case last summer bar Heaton.

We can still sign unknown players who are young and hopefully can develop into something special but we also need 2-3 proven championship players just like we need that number of prem players that didn't arrive last summer, Everyone loves referencing Brentford. They signed one of the best championship CBs from a rival who's in his late 20s so that was different from their normal policy. They've now stopped letting in silly goals and have one of the best defences in the league.

I'd get Gayle in. He is about as proven as you get down there. He's also still younger than when we got in McCormack. It's worth remembering we signed Kodj when he was only 26 and made as much of a loss on him as McCormack so to me people get too fussed about age all the time. I doubt we'd get close to 14m for Targett if we wanted to sell him this summer for example. Hogan is another example, we signed him when he was just 24.

Gayle comes in and scores his usual 25 and we finish top 2 no problem. He then reverts to being a squad striker off the bench or starting games here and there in prem like he's done for Newcastle much of the season, he's actually scored 3 in his last six so far better ratio than any of our forwards this season bar Wesley when he scored those two at Norwich.

That's one alternative. Or we could just rely on Davis, Samatta and Wesley and struggle to make the top 6. Or get in a Tammy style loan who may  not sign full time if we went up so we'd have to get in two new forwards in 12 months time and I'd prefer not to have to get in over 10 new players the next time we get promoted to the premier league.

You sign Gayle, he does what he does. You then get promoted and sign an international class striker and Gayle's your go to option off the bench like he is for Newcastle. If one of Davis or Wes/Samatta can also kick on in next 12 months then so much the better, would mean we wouldn't have to do much signing upfront on our return.

Edited by VillaChris