Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i also thought that, this isnt to say he isnt Prem quality, he might be, but a fair few of those goals would never in a month of sundays been a goal in the prem (unless Nyland was the gk)

Glad to see its not just me after seeing that, I'm going to link it here so others can see it.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I just watched a compilation of Watkins goals on the Sky Sport YouTube channel and I don't think quite a fair number of them would have resulted in a  goal in this league.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

thats my concern.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i also thought that, this isnt to say he isnt Prem quality, he might be, but a fair few of those goals would never in a month of sundays been a goal in the prem (unless Nyland was the gk)

although, to counter my own statement, i also think you dont score 26 goals in the championship via accident or luck, so he definately has talent for at least being in the right place at the right time, or making the right runs.

But ye, some of those goals are a bit sketchy, no doubt. (could prob have said the similar for Tammy tho, when he scored 20 odd in the champ)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Judging Watkins soley on his goals in a youtube video is ridiculous, he has a very good all round game, good hold up play, brings others into play, can pull defenders wide to create space for others, rare gives the ball away, and scores goals whichever way they happen to come. I bet if we're being linked to Mitrovic more people would be happy with that, but I saw both of them quite a bit last season, and Watkins was much the better player.

My only slight worry would be that was his only season as a main striker, and he's approaching his mid twenties, so one season apart he's hardly a proven player in that position, but he was so much better than a compilation of him scoring tap ins could ever show. Plus if you look at his goals previous to last season, when he was playing as a wide forward you'll see that he scored all sorts.

Spoiler

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, colhint said:

could you all stop posting for a bit, I'm trying to catch up, every time I go to a new page the count has gone up 2. 

Thank you, right  back to page 651

Ahh sorry man, we’ll try to avoid any unnecessary posts until you have had chance to catch up. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I just watched a compilation of Watkins goals on the Sky Sport YouTube channel and I don't think quite a fair number of them would have resulted in a  goal in this league.

Ohhhhh thank you!! .. ive been saying this all month since i watched him in action and I completely agree ! You need to be able to showcase different ways of scoring and his movement is excellent i cant fault that. Teemu Pukki, Glenn Murray and a few others scored the same amount of goals in the championship and they just about get 10 goals in the Premier League its not easy and its not about how many goals you score in that league its how you play and how you can score what we need to analyse the most. Ross mccormack scored 29 goals and we signed him and look how that turned out, we have to look beyond just the amount of goals scored

Now Odsonne Edouard i just think his feet are not as sharp or quick when he touches the ball.. seems like he doesn’t have that quick elastic touch like for example a prime sturridge would have then again he was an exception tbh  but on the flip side he is quite skillful and has great ball control and knows where the goal is .of course just my opinion but if i was to take a gamble it would be Eduoard. 

Edited by RicRic
More to add

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ohhhhh thank you!! .. ive been saying this all month since i watched him in action and I completely agree ! You need to be able to showcase different ways of scoring and his movement is excellent i cant fault that. Teemu Pukki, Glenn Murray and a few others scored the same amount of goals in the championship and they just about get 10 goals in the Premier League its not easy and its not about how many goals you score in that league its how you play and how you can score what we need to analyse the most.

You’re forgetting about the other 10 players in the team though...

46 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yea but I made a comment about this on the Eduoard thread and some people mistook what I was saying.

You can watch a player in usually an inferior league or a league that is very different with how they play and say he would do very well in our league.

I already preferred Eduoard and Iheanacho over him and this solidifies that’s for me.

And i would like to add also that the championship has 46 fixtures as opposed to 38 in the Premier League so we should probably shave off a few goals off on a ratio basis when comparing what players score in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rayk said:

I’m increasingly convinced that our main attacking targets are Watkins and Benrahma. Much less sure about Edoaurd than I was.

Not because I don’t rate him, just that Watkins can play no 9 and LW.

So whilst Wes is injured, Watkins plays no 9 and when Wes returns from injury Watkins reverts back to LW.

So to recap with Wes injured it’d be:

Watkins

Jack    Benrahma 

With Wes back it’d be:

Wes

Watkins   Benrahma 

(Jack playing AM)

Pardon??? 

Sorry but No when Wesley returns he will have a chair reserved in the dugout. He will be used in rotation and not our main striker whether he is fit or not. He is not good enough you can tell just by watching his game.. but it could have been worse we could have bought Haller for £40M. 

Davis should be embarrassed to call himself a forward and honestly id rather have hourihane play up front at LEAST he knows where the net is. Samatta may have to move on. In terms of an exciting winger look no further.

Jaden Philogene-Bidace (18) already in our set up and Reminds me of Raheem Sterling when he was that age . We have to bring him into contention this season he is a golden talent and very fearless.. United did it with Rashford and Man City did it with Foden at the same age as this guy so why cant we ? .

We will certainly make our first signing by Thursday 3rd September 1000%

Edited by RicRic

11 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Pardon??? 

Sorry but No when Wesley returns he will have a chair reserved in the dugout. He will be used in rotation and not our main striker whether he is fit or not. He is not good enough you can tell just by watching his game.. but it could have been worse we could have bought Haller for £40M. 

Davis should be embarrassed to call himself a forward and honestly id rather have hourihane play up front at LEAST he knows where the net is. Samatta may have to move on. In terms of an exciting winger look no further.

Jaden Philogene-Bidace (18) already in our set up and Reminds me of Raheem Sterling when he was that age . We have to bring him into contention this season he is a golden talent and very fearless.. United did it with Rashford and Man City did it with Foden at the same age as this guy so why cant we ? .

Im not saying I’d want Wes to play there, just that’s what I can see happening. I think Wes was poor last season but you never know this season.....he may do a Dougie.

Hourihane knows where the net is but the ball has to be standing still (free kick) or 25 yards out for a worldie......still not the best characteristics for a ST however sarcastic that comment that obviously was.

Imo, JPB needs to go out on loan. He is a very exciting player but can show boat and half a season of playing first team football in league 1 will probably kick that out of him (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

Edited by rayk

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Marcus Edwards is not the required quality to play as our wide forward on the left, if we are spending 15m on a left back we can do much better than Rico Henry.

Marcus Edwards is left footed but plays on the right and cuts inside onto his left as Smith prefers his wide forwards to do. I think he has got the talent to succeed the question mark is over his attitude.

However most of the suggestions I have seen on here have been right footed wide players so Edwards is an affordable alternative with scope to develop.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Left back I would sign Owen Wijndal (10m) from Az in Holland

I would probably throw half of that at stoke for Jack Butland in the hope he hasn't become Joe Hart MkII

Don’t know Wijndal but open to being convinced.

I wondered about Butland. Keepers need a really good mindset. Carson wasn’t the same player after his blooper for England. Despite that I would be tempted to get Butland in and get rid of Nyland as Nyland is definitely unreliable and the case for Butland’s unreliability is unproven (for us).

• Like 1