Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Steer is unproven and also very injury prone. Agree he looked good in the championship run in - but still think it's a risk to start with him.

He’s been a great servant to us for me, he is a very capable goalkeeper. I don’t know if he’s still want to stick around as a number 2

48 minutes ago, rayk said:

I have a question for everyone...how many people want a two wingers in so that Jack can more to his preferred position of AM vs getting only one winger in, keeping Jack at LW but being able to upgrade both FB positions?

Arguments for both I reckon.  Though if Jack stays out left, I'd upgrade midfield (with McKennie) before the fullbacks.  Ideally 2 wingers and a midfielder so that we have options - 🤯 - and can see which partnerships work and where Jack is most effective with the new players around him.

• Like 1

I'd be pretty upset if we saw Nyland in a Villa shirt again to be honest. I mean what more does he have to do to show he isn't good enough. 

Steer it's tough to say because he hasnt played for a year. I guess the question is will Heaton be fit and more importantly sharp for October. If he looks good in training etc then no we can probably get away with it. If its one of those were its going to take a long time to get back to his best then yes we probably need someone really decent to provide big competition to Heaton for the season. 

I guess they will take a view on it from watching him in training. 

• Like 1

Not seen much of Edouard, but his goalscoring record and prowess at such a young age (has to be taken into account) is encouraging and he has huge potential.... even if it’s mostly/just been in the SPL. Probably shouldn’t be compared to other transfers from Scotland that didn’t work out, for that reason in particular.
His France U21 record is great too.

Imo, it’s unlikely that he would be a failure and he should get better & better. He’d be a vast improvement on Davis (similar age) and could be our best & most reliable goalscorer. 

If it works out, he could become a massive player for us. It’s the kind of profile that appeals really rather than an older or more (there’s that word again) “experienced” player with a lot less room for growth/improvement.

You never know, could be our next Benteke 😉 

23 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Aston Villa are interested in signing central defender Omar Colley from Sampdoria, according to Il Secolo XIX.

Colley, meanwhile, who has 12 caps for The Gambia, is well-known to Villa striker Mbwana Ally Samatta with the pair travelling to Mecca together two years ago for an Islamic pilgirimage.

The Sampdoria man was a mainstay last season with the Italian club finishing seven points above the relegation places. Colley is a left-footed centre-back and, in that sense, is very similar to both Tyrone Mings and Kortney Hause. Villa, meanwhile, have Ezri Konsa and Bjorn Engels as right-footed centre-half options, too.

Over the weekend another Italian media outlet, Tutto Mercato, suggested Southampton had bid up to £16 million for Colley while, in other reports, Burnley and Newcastle United were also citing their interest in the defender.

Bingo is for old ladies. Don’t want. 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Steer, Nyland, Heaton.

Do we need a 4th keeper before October?

I don't think we do unless we are moving Steer or Nyland on.

It's a difficult one. Steer I rate, but he's prone to the odd brainfart. 

Nyland is not good enough, despite me thinking he's better than people's impression. 

Heaton is superb, but it's a bad injury. 

Ultimately it's such an important position the wrong keeper will cost you a lot of points. But I think we got more pressing needs. I'd accept Steer for a month. 

Cillesen was an interesting link though. 

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s been a great servant to us for me, he is a very capable goalkeeper. I don’t know if he’s still want to stick around as a number 2

If he could just overcome his injuries he would get decent game time and could eventually succeed Heaton.... what a great option to have as a backup.

Hasn’t had much of a chance to display his abilities but he was a major factor in getting us promoted.

He’s not a walking disaster like Nyland either and has the ability to pull of some spectacular saves.

If the pair of them could stay fit, Heaton & Steer really is a great GK department.

• Like 2

Just now, Jas10 said:

If he could just overcome his injuries he would get decent game time and could eventually succeed Heaton.... what a great option to have as a backup.

Hasn’t had much of a chance to display his abilities but he was a major factor in getting us promoted.

He’s not a walking disaster like Nyland either and has the ability to pull of some spectacular saves.

If the pair of them could stay fit, Heaton & Steer really is a great GK department.

Agreed entirely

9 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Arguments for both I reckon.  Though if Jack stays out left, I'd upgrade midfield (with McKennie) before the fullbacks.  Ideally 2 wingers and a midfielder so that we have options - 🤯 - and can see which partnerships work and where Jack is most effective with the new players around him.

Options (of high quality) is something we desperately need and severely lack atm, would give us more tactical flexibility and adaptability in games. This season showed just how poor our squad is and we need quality beyond the first XI also. 
So much work to be done, we need to act quickly but sensibly.

20 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yea but it could be the same as last year or it could be less.

We really didn’t have a clue

It won’t be less, that I’m pretty sure of. Would love it to be the same level as last year but for that to happen w’re gonna have to let a few go.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's a difficult one. Steer I rate, but he's prone to the odd brainfart. 

Nyland is not good enough, despite me thinking he's better than people's impression. 

Heaton is superb, but it's a bad injury. 

Ultimately it's such an important position the wrong keeper will cost you a lot of points. But I think we got more pressing needs. I'd accept Steer for a month. 

I agree.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

5th keeper.

Kalinic is still here and is at the training camp. 

Ah, that alters it then. (I thought he'd gone not long after Sarkic had left)

On paper we definately don't need one, but as reality goes I wonder if we will offload one or two then and the aim might be to bring in a much better quality keeper who will be the new No.1 rather than a 'squad player'?. We still have 3/4 keepers for depth?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

I guess my conclusion on the GK situation is that if we’ve ‘allowed’ Reina to sign for Lazio we must be pretty confident we’ll get who we want in.

Whether that’s Butland or Cillessen time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Agreed entirely

It really is a tough one... having to rely on Nyland is a recipe for disaster. 

I think we do need another GK in, offload Nyland & Kalinic & review Steer’s position (will sadly have to go if he keeps breaking down).

Dunno why we treated Sarkic the way we did & let him go so easily. 

If 3 keepers go, we need to sign 2.

But, we have to sort out our attack most of all...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

I guess my conclusion on the GK situation is that if we’ve ‘allowed’ Reina to sign for Lazio we must be pretty confident we’ll get who we want in.

Whether that’s Butland or Cillessen time will tell I guess.

Me too and its a must for me, we need to make upgrades every window, no standing still, not any more.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Me too and its a must for me, we need to make upgrades every window, no standing still, not any more.

Ok but if Heaton is expected to come back fit (which we just have to trust the club on yes or no) then goalkeeper is probably the very last position that needs an upgrade. We need to go blow £100m+ on a few other things.

(If he’s not, then we absolutely need someone).

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Good point.

I do wonder whether Reina going to Lazio means that Thomas Strakosha - who is a quality keeper - could be on our shopping list?

I think we wont bother with a keeper this windows but if we get injuries then we will deffo go for a keeper in January or we may choose to get one then regardless.

Like I've said in other threads I'm less concerned about the rest of our positions compared to up front, that is where I am concerned mostly.

Edited by Dave-R