Relegation thread

Knutserov13

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe i'm not so negative after all.

Maybe it's a case of doing one of those predictor things and realising just how much shit is around us

Its unfortunately our best hope (again) 3 shitter teams but at least there are candidates 

That's an unreliable narrative, because it doesn't take into account the fact that by the time we get to some of these so called difficult fixtures the opposition in question may well have nothing to play for, of course that's the case for everyone but the point still stands and it won't be easy to predict what's going to happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m basically just all coming down to tomorrow’s game. I’ve decided if we win it we are fine and if we lose it we are going down. I know that’s not reality but that’s what’s in my mind.

Whilst it feels like an all or nothing game, I need to keep reminding myself that, whatever the result, we’re not guaranteed to stay up or be relegated, although with fewer and fewer games remaining and the possible physiological effect, the result will have a sizeable affect on our odds.

Removing my claret and blue spectacles, the chances of staying up as I see it:

currently 45%, win against ShefU 55%, draw 40%, loss 30%.

No certainties there but the result will feel significant. According to my guesses, we’re almost twice as likely to go down with a loss against a win. Eek!

COME ON VILLA!!!

We would still be two points from safety, if we lost tomorrow. We would have lost our game in hand and it wouldn't have boosted our confidence, but with 9 games still left to play, we could still survive. 

A win is undoubtedly what we want tomorrow and a point would be better than nothing, but we have 10 games to play, from which to get the 13-14 points, that I think we need. We'd like those points as quickly as possible, but getting those points is what matters, whenever we get them. We could win tomorrow and still go down, or lose and still stay up. Tomorrow's result won't decide our fate, but it would make safety easier to reach. 

That said, I'll take a win against Sheffield United and another 10 points, as quickly as possible after that please! 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John said:

We would still be two points from safety, if we lost tomorrow. We would have lost our game in hand and it wouldn't have boosted our confidence, but with 9 games still left to play, we could still survive. 

A win is undoubtedly what we want tomorrow and a point would be better than nothing, but we have 10 games to play, from which to get the 13-14 points, that I think we need. We'd like those points as quickly as possible, but getting those points is what matters, whenever we get them. We could win tomorrow and still go down, or lose and still stay up. Tomorrow's result won't decide our fate, but it would make safety easier to reach. 

That said, I'll take a win against Sheffield United and another 10 points, as quickly as possible after that please! 😉

I don't look at it like that.

Normally you'll need a point per game to survive.

Lose and we are 4 pts behind schedule.

If folks thinks 32-33 pts will be enough to survive i think you are in dreamland.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't look at it like that.

Normally you'll need a point per game to survive.

Lose and we are 4 pts behind schedule.

If folks thinks 32-33 pts will be enough to survive i think you are in dreamland.

This is a bit silly. You do know you get three points for a win and one for a draw right?

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

This is a bit silly. You do know you get three points for a win and one for a draw right?

We need to get back to the point per game average.

Chelsea is up next which we are likely to lose. Lose today and we are way off track.

38 pts is the aim. Anything above that is a bonus.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need to get back to the point per game average.

Chelsea is up next which we are likely to lose. Lose today and we are way off track.

38 pts is the aim. Anything above that is a bonus.

I misread your post I think. Anyway, yeah, it would be great if we got at least something from tonight, and we all know what we're actually hoping for.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last season we went on a 10 game winning run.

This season we haven't even won 2 in a row... just shows the difference

Except that time we did win 2 in a row in October 🙄

Just to address a couple of points that you have made Villalad21:

"Normally you'll need a point per game to survive" - I said, I think we'll need 13-14 points, which would give us 38-39 points from 38 games.

"Lose and we are 4 points behind schedule" - Agreed, but it's an average of a point a game, we need to be there by game 38.

"If folks thinks 32-33 pts will be enough to survive i think you are in dreamland" - If anyone had actually said that, then you may have a point.

"Last season we went on a 10 game winning run. This season we haven't even won 2 in a row..just shows the difference" - As Zatman has correctly pointed out we have. The difference is that we're no longer in the Championship and aiming for a a play-off place, we're now in the PL, and trying to avoid relegation. What is the same, is that some are saying that we can't achieve our target! 😉

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I would like to know the difference in goals conceded with Mcginn in or out. Him and Grealish are probably our only players who  could aggressively press further up to get the ball. It shows that our full backs and wingers are a bit too wishy washy for the premier league, at this stage anyway. That might explain our dreadful defensive record when on paper our goalkeeping and central defence pairings aren't too bad.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would like to know the difference in goals conceded with Mcginn in or out. Him and Grealish are probably our only players who  could aggressively press further up to get the ball. It shows that our full backs and wingers are a bit too wishy washy for the premier league, at this stage anyway. That might explain our dreadful defensive record when on paper our goalkeeping and central defence pairings aren't too bad.

We were conceding around 20 shots per game when McGinn was playing as well.

The system and instructions is the issue, not one midfielder.