Relegation thread

Knutserov13

49 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I appreciate we didn't lose but cannot see us staying up unless we improve massively on that performance. For me, the season being suspended killed any hope we had. Not having the fans behind us in those home games against Man Utd and Arsenal teams that have struggled is damaging to us. 

You do realise we were on the most diobolical run looking completely out of depth and out of confidence before lockdown. We've just earned a point against a team aiming to go 5th and looking mostly better than them? I would say lockdown has done us a massive favour so far.  We were spiralling out of the league before. 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Based on tonight's performance hopefully we can be hard to beat.

That in itself would be a titanic turnaround. 

A draw and a clean sheet whilst having the best of the chances, is a good start. Sheffield United weren’t at their best, they haven’t played a competitive game in three months. Guess what, neither have we! Hopefully Chelsea will be just as rusty on Sunday and we can build on today with a good performance, and maybe three points. 

• Like 1

We'll have to see how "off it" other sides are. That wasn't good but Sheff U looked sluggish as well.

Can't believe we'll have much of a better chance to take the game to the opposition and take three points.

They were missing two key players, scored a goal that wasn't given.

We will go down if our standout result of the season is a 2-1 win at Burnley. We have to win a game against the odds at some point.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If that game today was played in a packed Villa Park I think we would have won that.

The so called training ground players may have collapsed under a big crowd.

This is the best i've seen us in a big while

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll have to see how "off it" other sides are. That wasn't good but Sheff U looked sluggish as well.

Can't believe we'll have much of a better chance to take the game to the opposition and take three points.

They were missing two key players, scored a goal that wasn't given.

We will go down if our standout result of the season is a 2-1 win at Burnley. We have to win a game against the odds at some point.

Arsenal were abysmal tonight. Can see them losing at Brighton and donating a few of our rivals points so I think that's going to be a must win game right at end of the season. We should've won at Emirates but messed up the last 15 minutes seeing it out.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal were abysmal tonight. Can see them losing at Brighton and donating a few of our rivals points so I think that's going to be a must win game right at end of the season. We should've won at Emirates but messed up the last 15 minutes seeing it out.

Can see us beating Arsenal.

They look awful. Arteta is a rookie

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

said 10 points keeps us up, can still see it happening. I dont really fear any of the opposition on paper. Liverpool will probably play the kids

10 from here or 9 more you think?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

10 from here or 9 more you think?

10 from before the game today, I think 35 will be enough to keep us up. I think we have a lot of winnable games more so with no fans. Only United and Liverpool(if chasing title) would consider most difficult remaining

City last games are vs our relegation rivals and I also think in a training ground environment they will destroy some teams

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our goal difference is pretty bad now though, think 35 is too low. 37 is boderline, we need 3 wins to have reasonably chance.

When was the last time a team got relegated on goal difference?

Has it ever happened..

27 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If that game today was played in a packed Villa Park I think we would have won that.

I'm not so sure, our fans get frustrated so quickly it puts the players on edge.  I thought we were a lot more composed in the first half than a lot of our recent games because there wasn't that pressure on the players.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When was the last time a team got relegated on goal difference?

Has it ever happened..

many many times, Plymouth last season got relegated on goal difference

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

10 from before the game today, I think 35 will be enough to keep us up. I think we have a lot of winnable games more so with no fans. Only United and Liverpool(if chasing title) would consider most difficult remaining

City last games are vs our relegation rivals and I also think in a training ground environment they will destroy some teams

I've had Newcastle in my diary since January. Don't win there, we're down.

• Like 2

A point tonight not the end of the world but it would have been such a boost psychologically had we gained the victory and subsequently lifted ourselves out of the relegation places.

Absolutely massive weekend coming up, as they all are, but can't help but think this one may set the tone. Saturday sees all the four teams immediately above us playing throughout the day and I wouldn't be too surprised to see all four winning which would leave us 4 points from safety going into the match with Chelsea on Sunday. That would put huge added pressure on the players and I really hope the away sides on Saturday do us a favour.

Watford vs Leicester 

Brighton vs Arsenal

West Ham vs Wolves

Bournemouth vs Palace 

Are the matches throughout the day, each one important to us. 

I am hoping that the game tonight gives us an extra bit of sharpness to our play and gives us an advantage on Chelsea who might be a little lethargic first time out. Fingers crossed for 4 away wins Saturday followed by us doing the business 🙏

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've had Newcastle in my diary since January. Don't win there, we're down.

If we dont beat them we definitely dont deserve to stay up, though I dread to see how Bruce is after the lockdown. I hope he has taken care of himself for his own health