Relegation thread

Knutserov13

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Interesting take on it

I'll spin it the other way, based on today's evidence West ham and Bournemouth are absolutely **** terrible and I can't see them getting 5 more points from their remaining matches... 

We got dismantled by Bournemouth twice this season and got a point against a poor west ham side at home in one of the most boring games I've watched.

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

We got dismantled by Bournemouth twice this season and got a point against a poor west ham side at home in one of the most boring games I've watched.

So? 

Thanks to the break its very much a case of what have you done for me lately, a literal restart

And we looked better in our game than those 2 have in theirs, a lot better 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Bournemouth won't be playing us a third time in the run in at least.

They do have the knack of getting a surprise result when they're in awful form though, 4 points off Chelsea and won at home to Man. United so they probably won't lose all the games we expect them to.

I think it's safe to say Norwich & Bournemouth are very unlikely to get out of it so that means we need to get above West Ham, Watford or Brighton. West Ham

have the easiest run in and Brighton will be on a high after today although they have difficult fixtures. Our best bet in my opinion is Watford so lets hope they lose their next few games

I think we probably need 37 points to be safe

40 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

We didn’t get dismantled by Bournemouth, we contrived to lose both games. Dismantled is what ManCity done to us at Villa Park.

• Like 1

I’m concerned only with Villa’s performances and results, because if we get those right then we needn’t concern ourselves about anyone else’s fixtures or results. Seeing other clubs in and around us lose is simply a bonus. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

We didn’t get dismantled by Bournemouth, we contrived to lose both games. Dismantled is what ManCity done to us at Villa Park.

Along with Leicester and Southampton.........sadly.

From what I’ve watched Sheff Utd were far more match fit than either Leicester or Arsenal so it was a point gained rather than 2 lost. We gained a point from what was a fairly difficult fixture.

We’re a point closer to both Bournemouth and West Ham, no further away from Watford and we still have a game in hand. 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Also, did we not just outplay the team everyone’s been raving about all season? Why all the doom and gloom? I’m much more optimistic about our season now than I was pre-lockdown.

Points yield.

Early season we had lots of good performance s - unfortunately we always ended not claiming the 3 points. Sheff U falls into that category. It was nothing new .

Only hope now is that we may soon have nothing too loose and be forced too gamble on throwing everything at wins - knowing that we could get an egg on face thumping.

Draws and plucky defeats aren't going to be enough. We need to be better over the remaining games than we have been all season.

Sadly very little hope from me.

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

I think that a bit harsh. The home game we decided to give them 2 goals in the first 10 minutes. The rest of the game we were the better team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Points yield.

Early season we had lots of good performance s - unfortunately we always ended not claiming the 3 points. Sheff U falls into that category. It was nothing new .

Only hope now is that we may soon have nothing too loose and be forced too gamble on throwing everything at wins - knowing that we could get an egg on face thumping.

Draws and plucky defeats aren't going to be enough. We need to be better over the remaining games than we have been all season.

I disagree, I thought the Sheffield Utd performance was a big step up - the significant things were Grealish not being the standout performer, and our defence rarely looking troubled. Douglas Luiz has gone up a level, Matt Targett looked much more solid defensively, and our shape looked tighter. I got the sense the team had finally clicked as a unit.

Not saying we’ll definitely stay up, but I think we’ll be in with a fighting chance, right down to the wire.

You’re absolutely right that performances have to be converted into points. Those draws do add up, though - we probably need 2 wins and a few draws to survive. It’s doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

I think it's safe to say Norwich & Bournemouth are very unlikely to get out of it so that means we need to get above West Ham, Watford or Brighton. West Ham

have the easiest run in and Brighton will be on a high after today although they have difficult fixtures. Our best bet in my opinion is Watford so lets hope they lose their next few games

I think we probably need 37 points to be safe

I still think Brighton can be caught. As you say, Brighton do have some tough games to come. Hopefully not every team will be quite as accommodating, as Arsenal were to them today. They've took 6 points from Arsenal this season!😕

Edited by John

Absolutely can't see anything other than relegation.

Not sure when it happened but I've been sure we're going down for a fair old time. Possibly the pumping by Leicester at home. Watching us have really good spells in games and not being close to scoring because we didn't have a striker was so demoralising. God knows what it was like to play in, we should be sat on at least 9 more points.

Far too much rubbish in the squad. Miracle if we stay up. 

We need press on with sweeping club changes if we pull it off. Suso can **** right off. Smith should receive a handshake and a fairwell.

• Like 2

I'd fully given up after Spurs at home, from then on I thought we were doomed. Obviously though with everything that's happened we've been able to hit the refresh button so as of right now I have a very slight bit of hope. 

I don't think we'll get anything against Chelsea so for me it comes down to Wednesday against Newcastle, if we can't beat them I'll accept that we're gone again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Points yield.

It was Brighton first game this year. They went into 10 games without a win. Yet draws and GD made them in a better position than others.

Draw are definitely important. Had we kept a draw against Spurs and a draw at Bournemouth we'd be on 28, while Bournemouth on 25 points. We'd be 2 goals better in terms of GD. It's a long way, any good results could benefit us. Especially when we make point up on our opponents.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, useless said:

I think Barry is more of a striker than a winger, albeit from the very brief highlights I've seen of him it seems he's the kind of striker that likes to drift wide and cut inside, so could probably play as a wide forward I imagine.

Would love to see him on the extended bench at some point. Albeit I’m not that familiar with our youth as I was, maybe there are others higher in the pecking order. Was nice to see Vassilev on the bench again last Weds, hopefully he can get some minutes and help change a game for us.