Relegation thread

Knutserov13

There was a great moment around 80 mins when the ball was in the middle of Marvelous, Hause, Mings, Elmo was nearby, possibly Grealish as well.

Marv had it and was in a mad panic for some reason, think he'd been given it a slightly tight spot. And it was just carcrash. Horrible to watch. 

It was Average Joe's gym stuff.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

There was a great moment around 80 mins when the ball was in the middle of Marvelous, Hause, Mings, Elmo was nearby, possibly Grealish as well.

Marv had it and was in a mad panic for some reason, think he'd been given it a slightly tight spot. And it was just carcrash. Horrible to watch. 

That was great? Or horrible? Um ok then!

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

SHA in 10/11 I think.

They were 1 point less than Wolves. But them and Blackpool were the last two teams to go down while having more than 38 points.

Edited by abdulaziz1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I was shouting at the tv, ‘get rid, get rid’. He managed to wriggle out of the mess somehow only to then manage to get himself back into trouble. 

Not cut out for this level. Along with the majority of our summer signings. 

If we do stay up, we’ll just end up having to replace the players we signed last summer. Our investment has been poor and we’ll go down because of it. Simples. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was shouting at the tv, ‘get rid, get rid’. He managed to wriggle out of the mess somehow only to then manage to get himself back into trouble. 

If we do stay up, we’ll just end up having to replace the players we signed last summer. Our investment has been poor and we’ll go down because of it. Simples. 🙂

stay up or go down suso needs to be sacked. we were sold the policy of signing young players whose value will increase. aside from mings i don't see us making profit on any of last summer's signings. they're simply not good enough and we overpaid for most of them. now benrahma is going to chelsea so that's another we've missed out on. even if we had to fork out 20m for him last summer, he would have increased in value. £35m has been talked about as a potential figure that chelsea will have to shell out for him

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

stay up or go down suso needs to be sacked. we were sold the policy of signing young players whose value will increase. aside from mings i don't see us making profit on any of last summer's signings. they're simply not good enough and we overpaid for most of them. now benrahma is going to chelsea so that's another we've missed out on. even if we had to fork out 20m for him last summer, he would have increased in value. £35m has been talked about as a potential figure that chelsea will have to shell out for him

It was disastrous. Really was. 

I say this with a tin hat on, but we blow Mings out of all proportion on here as well

Hes been decidedly average this season, just shows how shit England are off for centre backs that he gets a gig for them

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

I say this with a tin hat on, but we blow Mings out of all proportion on here as well

Hes been decidedly average this season, just shows how shit England are off for centre backs that he gets a gig for them

I thought he was a bit suspect all game , dwalded on the ball at times and alot of poor long balls

56 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

We went so long without a good CB his value to us was increased. He has to take charge more and be a leader in the team. Get the midfield coming short for the ball.

If Liverpool win the title before our game with them, we might get to play a side full of kids.

Looking at the schedule, it looks ugly for us. The only team we play who is also in the drop zone is at West Ham on the final day. 

Yikes

29 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If Liverpool win the title before our game with them, we might get to play a side full of kids.

Looking at the schedule, it looks ugly for us. The only team we play who is also in the drop zone is at West Ham on the final day. 

Yikes

I don't think that we can bank on Liverpool being on the beach when they play us. I can see them resting players from the middle of next month, but I wouldn't have thought they would do it so soon after winning the title. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt we will get any favours from them. 

It would be nice to be safe on the final day too, I doubt that my nerves could take it, if we needed something at West Ham. I hope the other claret & blues, will be the ones that are biting their nails on the final day instead.🤞

I said it before it is  difficult for any club to stay up after winning the playoffs as you have about a month's less time to prepare for playing in the premier league. Also even at February/March time promotion looked unlikely and the club was almost certainly planning for another year in the Championship.  Purslow said after Wembley as much as we were promoted a season ahead of schedule.  Most of our squad had to be rebuilt as it was based on old lags and loanees.

Suso was given the remit from Purlsow and the owners  to rebuild the squad with younger players who will have sale on value. FFP really effected us as we couldn't pay top wages to bring in top players with premier league experience.  At present we are not really a catch for top quality players to move to, and we have to accept that. Yes we spent a lot  in transfer fees but that was spread over a lot of players and I bet the average wage we have signed to them is comparatively quite low to even a mid table premier league side. It is still millions though I accept as football is not in the real world. 

I can see what  they tried to do in the summer but in hindsight signing an experienced  mobile defensive midfielder and a genuine top goalscorer would have made a massive difference to our survival hopes, even if they were loans.  At the moment they are hanging in the balance. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I said it before it is  difficult for any club to stay up after winning the playoffs as you have about a month's less time to prepare for playing in the premier league. Also even at February/March time promotion looked unlikely and the club was almost certainly planning for another year in the Championship.  Purslow said after Wembley as much as we were promoted a season ahead of schedule.  Most of our squad had to be rebuilt as it was based on old lags and loanees.

Suso was given the remit from Purlsow and the owners  to rebuild the squad with younger players who will have sale on value. FFP really effected us as we couldn't pay top wages to bring in top players with premier league experience.  At present we are not really a catch for top quality players to move to, and we have to accept that. Yes we spent a lot but that was spread over a lot of players and I bet the average wage we have signed to them is comparatively quite low to even a mid table premier league side. It is still millions though I accept as football is not in the real world. 

I can see what  they tried to do in the summer but in hindsight signing an experienced  mobile defensive midfielder and a genuine top goalscorer would have made a massive difference to our survival hopes. At the moment they are hanging in the balance. 

Spot on. I was concerned the moment I heard Purslow say how we were one year ahead of plan when we got promoted. Recruitment has been poor overall but we’ve had some bad luck with decisions and injuries. 

On 18/06/2020 at 00:21, Delphinho123 said:

For me, I think our main problem was not getting the winger and striker we need.

Had we had Benrahma, things would've been different. Even Samatta if we had him instead of Wesley we might have done better.

The way I see it:

Heaton, Mings, Targett and Guilbert are good and arguably better than most we've got at their positions in the last couple of years.

Luiz, Nakamba, Engels, Konsa, Samatta are all ok, and some have big potential to improve.

El Ghazi, Hause, Trez, Jota are ok as a squad players, but not as a starters. One of our problems is we've got two of them to start. But all were cheap.

Wesley, he's the most questionable players for what we've paid. Wether his position is not what we need, or his ability doesn't work with our tactics, or he's not good? I'm not sure.

But Benrahma and Samatta from the beginning of the season would've changed a lot.

We need a strong DM too.

• Like 1