Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I accept all that.

I just happen to think if Dean Smith had of signed an effective CDM who could dictate play and dominate midfield.....we would have been far better balanced.

Personally, I am not opposed to 2 with combative qualities, with one protecting the back four and winning aerial balls and a more creative one to link play......I don't see that from Nakamba and Luiz, whether it will come, i have no idea.

Sheff utd are spending a bit now.....but the main platform is there and has been there from the start.

I was expecting us to do something similar.....but we have this offensive first mentality....great on the eye, just difficult to get results in this league.

Style of play is important we all want to see the team pinging the ball around nicely , but we also want to see us win or even not lose embarrassingly.

When we  get back playing I think we have to play 4-2-3-1 with Luiz and Nakamba holding with Grealish /McGinn and AEG behind Samatta 

7 hours ago, Nabby said:

Style of play is important we all want to see the team pinging the ball around nicely , but we also want to see us win or even not lose embarrassingly.

When we  get back playing I think we have to play 4-2-3-1 with Luiz and Nakamba holding with Grealish /McGinn and AEG behind Samatta 

Nabby, the style of play is important, but until you get the basics right, its naive to over focus on it.....other priorities need to be in place to secure much needed points, then the style can be implimented when some semblance of solidarity is established and confidence grows from not getting reversals.

I am not opposed to your proposed line up, I just think the 2 are just not dominant or tight enough in the middle.....I am not sure either is a defensive central midfielder....we need someone better physically equipped to deal with aerial balls and close contact, we need to bully the opposition off the ball.....they are too easily by passed.

I also think, one up front is too much to ask, when they have no one to play off.

I have always thought the game is about 2's......2 full backs, 2 centre backs, 2 creative midfielders or wingers, 2 central midfield enforcers and 2 strikers......obviously the better the player, the more jobs they can do.....good players can inter change and play in other roles.....for me, the centre of midfield is crucial to get right and i don't think we have.

I think Dean has played around with systems, trying to get what he wants, but i just think he is short of the right players in crucial positions and at present no changing formations will cure our ills.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Nabby, the style of play is important, but until you get the basics right, its naive to over focus on it.....other priorities need to be in place to secure much needed points, then the style can be implimented when some semblance of solidarity is established and confidence grows from not getting reversals.

I am not opposed to your proposed line up, I just think the 2 are just not dominant or tight enough in the middle.....I am not sure either is a defensive central midfielder....we need someone better physically equipped to deal with aerial balls and close contact, we need to bully the opposition off the ball.....they are too easily by passed.

I also think, one up front is too much to ask, when they have no one to play off.

I have always thought the game is about 2's......2 full backs, 2 centre backs, 2 creative midfielders or wingers, 2 central midfield enforcers and 2 strikers......obviously the better the player, the more jobs they can do.....good players can inter change and play in other roles.....for me, the centre of midfield is crucial to get right and i don't think we have.

I think Dean has played around with systems, trying to get what he wants, but i just think he is short of the right players in crucial positions and at present no changing formations will cure our ills.

I certainly agree on the striker both Wesley and Samatta are left so isolated 

CM again I agree we lack someone to bully players in there , a great example is Billing at Bournemouth who in both games kicked our team all over the place , of course very strong argument he should of been red carded in the home game.I think Nakamba isn't too bad at winning the ball back he went through a tricky spell but was getting some form back.From rough memory I don't think we have played a mid 3 of Luiz/McGinn/Nakamba that could work.

At the moment McGinn is our big hope to get us going..well unless the 3 month break reduces the other teams MF to the physical levels of Drinkwater.

Houriane ...sub only to be used if goal needed 

Other than McGinn the 2 other things that can turn the season is 1) Davis staying fit as it would give us the option of 2 upfront 2) We work on the 3-5-2 system so the centre backs know to move into CM like Shef United /Wolves play as opposed to our version which is to me 3 cbs win 2 playing as cbs in a back 4 and one who mops up to cover their mistakes.

• Like 1

Looking like the season indeed will finish.

This will need to improve or we've got no chance.

The set piece one is shocking. Such a basic thing to defend. Stop with the zonal marking, obviously not working.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Looking like the season indeed will finish.

This will need to improve or we've got no chance.

The set piece one is shocking. Such a basic thing to defend. Stop with the zonal marking, obviously not working.

If Mr Purslow sees that, he better have some serious questions to ask of Deano, JT and RoK. 

The stats there are horrible , and again I maintain that whilst players are to blame in terms of accusations some are not good enough for me there is a coaching issue here .

If the season hadn't been stopped a loss to Chelsea and he was getting his p45 so its interesting now to see what we do.Sacking him post Chelsea originally gave us a 2 week break to replace now replacing a new boss has to come in with zero time to do anything drastic.

Also say how does Terry who played for teams who rarely conceded coach a team this poorly at set pieces  

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The stats there are horrible , and again I maintain that whilst players are to blame in terms of accusations some are not good enough for me there is a coaching issue here .

If the season hadn't been stopped a loss to Chelsea and he was getting his p45 so its interesting now to see what we do.Sacking him post Chelsea originally gave us a 2 week break to replace now replacing a new boss has to come in with zero time to do anything drastic.

Also say how does Terry who played for teams who rarely conceded coach a team this poorly at set pieces  

Incredibly poor stats but i dont think there was any chance he was going to get fired if he lost to Chelsea.  My main reasoning is that it is too far into the season.  I think the owners have great faith in Dean.  If we get relegated then Dean is probably the best person to get us back up and if we survive he's achieved the goal of this season which is survival.  With 9 games (after the Chelsea) game to go, would we've had the new manager bounce, who knows and who the hell would we have got.  If that person saved us would they have been the right person for next season and same if we had got relegated.  A person that maybe great for a relegation battle maybe not the person you want long term.

If the owners had got rid of Smith in December/January then fair enough but this far into the season, I think they resolved with themselves that Smith is their man and they were sticking with him.  The post Chelsea defeat sacking, for me, was just the press trying to create a story from nothing and in fact it was only talked about by the fringe press.

What ever happens Dean needs to improve those defensive stats, I wonder what the equivalent attacking stats are? just out of curiosity  

• Like 1

Percy from the Telegraph had the story is was close to going , he is very reliable on Villa Stories.Though it was late in season we where appalling there was no glimmer of hope at all in the games it was embarrassing to watch , every game we where horrific at defending corners and that's training ground stuff that not been sorted.

I also don't subscribe to the idea  he will get us back up , unless he gets to keep most of the squad but I doubt that.

13 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Percy from the Telegraph had the story is was close to going , he is very reliable on Villa Stories.Though it was late in season we where appalling there was no glimmer of hope at all in the games it was embarrassing to watch , every game we where horrific at defending corners and that's training ground stuff that not been sorted.

I also don't subscribe to the idea  he will get us back up , unless he gets to keep most of the squad but I doubt that.

No i dont subscribe to the idea he will get us back up but for me he is most likely to.  A genuine question, if we got relegated and Smith was fired, who would you pick to replace him understanding that we are relegated and will lose some good players?  I struggle to think of anybody I would pick over Smith that is realistic.

22 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Percy from the Telegraph had the story is was close to going , he is very reliable on Villa Stories.

Then we're a worse run football club than i thought.

What is a new man supposed to do in 10 games? The warning signs were the during Christmas.

1 game to seal his fate? Ridiculous. Either you believe in the man or you don't. How is 1 game gonna change anything? If Chelsea have an off day and miss on all their chances and we nick it at the end, is Dean suddenly good enough then?

Edited by villalad21

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Then we're a worse run football club than i thought.

What is a new man supposed to do in 10 games? The warning signs were the during Christmas.

1 game to seal his fate? Ridiculous. Either you believe in the man or you don't. How is 1 game gonna change anything? If Chelsea have an off day and miss on all their chances and we nick it at the end, is Dean suddenly good enough then?

Because there was a 2 week break after that game so we had time to make a change

I think they gave Smith benefit of doubt over Xmas and let him bring in Drinkwater and Samatta. Whilst we had lost games its mostly in the last month of games we weren't just losing we were losing badly.

20 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Because there was a 2 week break after that game so we had time to make a change

I think they gave Smith benefit of doubt over Xmas and let him bring in Drinkwater and Samatta. Whilst we had lost games its mostly in the last month of games we weren't just losing we were losing badly.

Actually he had a good January, winning at Burnley, winning against Watford, drawing with Brighton. Citeh was Citeh. It all went wrong again at Bournemouth. We've had a good game against Spurs. Two points on those games would've been huge. But it all went wrong.

12 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Actually he had a good January, winning at Burnley, winning against Watford, drawing with Brighton. Citeh was Citeh. It all went wrong again at Bournemouth. We've had a good game against Spurs. Two points on those games would've been huge. But it all went wrong.

As I said the last month we were in freefall and to me I saw very few signs of us turning it around as I'm sure Purslow must have seen. The Soton , Bournmouth and Leicester games where horror shows.The Soton game 2-0 was no reflection of that game could and should of been much more , from the kick off we were a shambles.

• Like 2

Just now, Nabby said:

As I said the last month we were in freefall and to me I saw very few signs of us turning it around as I'm sure Purslow must have seen. The Soton , Bournmouth and Leicester games where horror shows.The Soton game 2-0 was no reflection of that game could and should of been much more , from the kick off we were a shambles.

9 games just isn't enough for a new man to get his ideas across.

I would rather have a new man try something/anything than more of the same from DS

Nigel Pearson with his 4 wins 1 draw and 1 loss in first 6 games says Hi 

Edited by Nabby

Just now, PussEKatt said:

I would rather have a new man try something/anything than more of the same from DS

Would depend on the manager.

If the owners are as ambitious as they claim to be it's time to finally hire a big profile coach. We've fished around with mediocrity for far too long.

Newcastle can get Rafa. Everton can get Ancelotti. Leeds can get Bielsa. And we go for Dean Smith..

4 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Nigel Pearson with his 4 wins 1 draw and 1 loss in first 6 games says Hi 

To be fair after that, his ideas then went missing then as he had the same record as Villa in the last six games before the lockdown

watford.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

To be fair after that, his ideas then went missing then as he had the same record as Villa in the last six games before the lockdown

watford.JPG

He beat Liverpool 3-0.

We are in no position to criticize him.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He beat Liverpool 3-0.

We are in no position to criticize him.

See it's quite easy, I just did! 

We beat them (Watford) 2-1 only a month or so before lockdown and yes they beat Liverpool afterwards. 

It's easy to pull stats that benefit your argument, just like I can.  We beat Watford! 

Dean Smith 2 - Nigel Pearson 1

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1