Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Found it

A hair salon owner is now facing £27,000 in fines for repeatedly opening in breach of Covid-19 lockdown rules.

Sinead Quinn was working at Quinn Blakey Hairdressers in Oakenshaw, Bradford, on Saturday when Kirklees Council officers issued a £4,000 fine. 

The council found the salon open again on Monday and Tuesday and issued two further £10,000 fines. It had £1,000 and £2,000 fines for previous breaches. 

Ms Quinn said on Instagram she did not consent to or accept the fines. 

More stories from around Yorkshire 

The salon owner posted videos on the social networking site which show her talking to council officials and police, saying she had not broken any laws. 

On the video, she is heard saying: "I don't consent to any fines, so it will just be returned to sender." 

image captionA similar sign to the one on the salon door, which references Magna Carta

She had also displayed a poster on the salon door which refers to Magna Carta, and says the shop is "under the jurisdiction of common law".

England is currently in a national lockdown with strict rules which say non-essential shops, including hairdressers, must close.

A council spokesman confirmed the fines, saying it had found the business to be "open and trading". 

'Devastating period'

The first was on 9 November, when a prohibition notice to close was served and £1,000 fine issued, and the second on 12 November, when a £2,000 fine was imposed.

The council said in a statement: "We completely understand how tough it has been, and continues to be, for local businesses throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. 

"We will do all we can to support them through what has been a devastating period, but it is absolutely crucial for people's safety that we all follow the latest Covid-19 rules and guidance."

It added Kirklees had the fifth highest rate in the country, with 135 hospital admissions last week and 25 people dying with coronavirus. 

The council said it was now "in the process of exploring alternative action".

West Yorkshire Police said it was a matter for the council.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

As long as its fair then I don't mind. I've worked all year, had very little time off and earned my full salary... my bonus will be at maximum pay out 

FTFY, never a better year to sell toilet paper 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It just read like the police were fed up with it and wanted the council to sort it out.

Well, yes, I understand the Police's frustration. Here they go in together when there's an issue like the previously mentioned salon. Cops hand out the fine, council serve enforcement notices

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Here’s a peer reviewed study trying to understand why some countries were affected much worse than others. 

Their conclusion is that the government response is largely irrelevant to determining the impact of the virus. The main factor is how healthy the population was when the virus came through. 

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.604339/full?fbclid=IwAR28GjS-yPg1q6t5JZCO6pgeGNESdlX6o17gPSAhRpNYiXgPS-nKKJ2g4rE

Can I peer review it? They appear to be saying that CV19 is much worse between the 25th and 65th parallels in both hemispheres. This is dreadful science because India is mostly below 25th Parallel (pretty much everything south of Bengal) and has one of the worst rates and it appears the rate is significantly worse below the 25th Parallel. India is probably the most densly populated land area between the 25th parallels North and South. (Edit: Sorry forgot iNDONESIA) but Africa between those points is pretty much the Sahara desert, South America Venezuala and Columbia plus the Central American thin strip of countries. for much of the world, there isn't a lot there.

I'd also suggest the end of August is just as the second wave was starting and the second wave does appear to have hit a much younger population. I don't think a study only done to the end of August is going to show the complete picture tbh

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, prioritise arthritic mum.

Then the poor bugger that’s 51 and works in the prison and the AA breakdown guy and the woman that works as a school dinner lady.

It’s not fixed by lemsip if you drive for a living or serve food and you lose your fingers.

More importantly, I'm a dirty communist.

What about the friends a relatives of the political patronage networks, the directors and large shareholders of the pharma companies and all the associated freedom loving entrepreneurs who will implement the program.  Shame on me.

btw, I find if you tie a bell around your fingers they are easier to locate, or just check behind the sofa.

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

More importantly, I'm a dirty communist.

What about the friends a relatives of the political patronage networks, the directors and large shareholders of the pharma companies and all the associated freedom loving entrepreneurs who will implement the program.  Shame on me.

btw, I find if you tie a bell around your fingers they are easier to locate, or just check behind the sofa.

I genuinely don’t know what any of that means.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Xann said:

127517810_10158004619926859_6853926003920094105_o.jpg.6578db317034563ac180745084eda13d.jpg

Sister in law said the other day “I’m worried about the vaccine because it’s been rushed through too quickly”... I said oh right, how long does it normally take? “I don’t know” she replied.

Getting medical advice from Facebook again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sister in law said the other day “I’m worried about the vaccine because it’s been rushed through too quickly”... I said oh right, how long does it normally take? “I don’t know” she replied.

Getting medical advice from Facebook again.

Around 5 years is the usual timeframe (or was before this vaccine).

https://www.fda.gov/patients/drug-development-process/step-3-clinical-research

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is a good insight to vaccine timescales. I apologise that its a thread. 

More on vaccines. I'm going to get boring and geeky on this (no apologies) on the 10 year thing. Vaccines "normally take 10 years". This is being use as a reason to be fearful (ie rushed job). I'm a clinical trials doc. I can tell you most of that time is spent doing...

nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting  for regulators...

then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy...

... or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators...

That we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...

and we really needed to. Safety hasn't been compromised. 100s of thousands of great people volunteered for experimental vaccines. The world watched closely. The press reported every serious adverse event. There have so far been a handful. A triumph of good people/good process.
I am confident that when regulators and scientists pour over the safety data (and we will because we are a bit that way inclined) that vaccines will only be used if we are confident that the risk is definitively outweighed by benefit. This should give you confidence too.

It would be good to know how the 40,000 or so volunteers per vaccine compares with other treatments developed.

If they’ve been through the exact same steps as a 5+ year programme but the steps in between medical work reduced to almost zero it should give confidence.

The UK government may need to create an educational advert to advise how time was saved and that it’s not an issue.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's like I was saying earlier in the thread, it can be rushed simply by removing the whitespace. All of the time it sits on someone's desk for a month can be removed. All of the bureaucracy can be removed. When you look at each step and just strip down to actual actions then it can be very quick without compromising safety in any way.

I fully agree they need to create educational material for the general public which shows the exact steps that vaccine developments and trials go through and show that all UK purchased items have done the exact same steps. The narrative at the moment is that it's been rushed and idiots like Farage have another cause they can grift money with.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Genie said:

We had the in-laws and sister in-laws family last Christmas and it was one of the most stressful days of my life. Not so much the prepping of the food, the nephew is a little bastard who drove us all up the wall. Couldn’t wait for them to leave.

I remember the MIL telling us that she had set record on the Gavin and Stacey special... she was back with about 3 hours to spare such was the chaos 1 little boy caused.

Kids are words removed. They ruin everything.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm fairly sure the council have the power to close these places down because they threatened to do so with the salon by our office, so why let the fines get so high?

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

It's like I was saying earlier in the thread, it can be rushed simply by removing the whitespace. All of the time it sits on someone's desk for a month can be removed. All of the bureaucracy can be removed. When you look at each step and just strip down to actual actions then it can be very quick without compromising safety in any way.

I fully agree they need to create educational material for the general public which shows the exact steps that vaccine developments and trials go through and show that all UK purchased items have done the exact same steps. The narrative at the moment is that it's been rushed and idiots like Farage have another cause they can grift money with.

Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment but I'd suggest the government set up a bot farm and post their message to the people via very dubious channels with no scientific backing, maybe mention the Magna Carta and 5G masts at the same time.

More chance of getting the idiots on board that way.

Edited by bickster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â