Generic Virus Thread

villakram

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

When are the new tax hikes kicking in?

Plus raids on savings, pension age increases and wealth taxes. 

Got to pay for furlough somehow. 

• Like 2

We're very close to deciding we're not having any family Xmas gathering. Younger daughter's already agreed to go to her mother-in-law's (they alternate between her feller's parents and us each year), and elder daughter's m-i-l has dementia, is in hospital, and will probably not be coming out alive, so the auld feller will be alone and distressed. So they're both committed to the in-laws for Xmas day. Normally, we'd say come to us on Boxing Day, but that's breaking the 'choose your bubble' rule. Given that we've been bending the rules to do the grandchild care anyway, we've settled on a Xmas for just me and the missus. TBH it's a bit of a relief from a catering point of view - and last year was gruelling, as we were both pretty ill (quite possibly with COVID). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Plus raids on savings, pension age increases and wealth taxes. 

Got to pay for furlough somehow. 

Unfortunately we do though. 

It's not going to be pleasant but it DOES have to be paid for. 

I've personally been fortunate enough not to need a penny of any help and have worked on full pay throughout it. 

I'm not going to grumble about what is to come though. An unimaginably large amount of money has been thrown at this and it will need to be paid for. 

We had the in-laws and sister in-laws family last Christmas and it was one of the most stressful days of my life. Not so much the prepping of the food, the nephew is a little bastard who drove us all up the wall. Couldn’t wait for them to leave.

I remember the MIL telling us that she had set record on the Gavin and Stacey special... she was back with about 3 hours to spare such was the chaos 1 little boy caused.

Edited by Genie

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Unfortunately we do though. 

It's not going to be pleasant but it DOES have to be paid for. 

I've personally been fortunate enough not to need a penny of any help and have worked on full pay throughout it. 

I'm not going to grumble about what is to come though. An unimaginably large amount of money has been thrown at this and it will need to be paid for. 

As long as its fair then I don't mind. I've worked all year, had very little time off and earned my full salary... my bonus will be reduced, but thats life. 

The bill for it needs to be paid by everyone though.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

We had the in-laws and sister in-laws family last Christmas and it was one of the most stressful days of my life. Not so much the prepping of the food, the nephew is a little bastard who drove us all up the wall. Couldn’t wait for them to leave.

I remember the MIL telling is that she had set record on the Gavin and Stacey special... she was back with about 3 hours to spare such was the chaos 1 little boy caused.

Just tell your in laws you think you might be infected this year. Should save you for suffering the same fate this year. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just tell your in laws you think you might be infected this year. Should save you for suffering the same fate this year. 

We’ve been quite clear for some time it’s just the 4 of us this year. I bet the MIL will still make a move though. Gotta make sure the Mrs holds firm (kw.jpg).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I got my annual bonus this month (I know, ridiculous in this climate). I was leaning heavily towards just chucking it in to my pension for the tax savings. Then I asked myself how likely it is I'll ever get to actually withdraw anything from my pension. **** it, it's going on booze instead.

I don't think it pays to be prudent these days. Be profligate instead. After all, we'll all end up in the same care home, except it'll be costing some people £25k per year and state funded for others

/soapbox

#satire

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think it pays to be prudent these days. Be profligate instead. After all, we'll all end up in the same care home, except it'll be costing some people £25k per year and state funded for others

/soapbox

#satire

Between the practicalities of care home funding, and the likelihood of the state pension being means tested, as well as climate change risking the survival of western capitalism, I do wonder if it's just burning money. Investing in a defined contribution pension is basically betting that everything is going to be ok. I view it as insurance. I don't expect I'll ever benefit from it, but just in case...

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We're very close to deciding we're not having any family Xmas gathering. Younger daughter's already agreed to go to her mother-in-law's (they alternate between her feller's parents and us each year), and elder daughter's m-i-l has dementia, is in hospital, and will probably not be coming out alive, so the auld feller will be alone and distressed. So they're both committed to the in-laws for Xmas day. Normally, we'd say come to us on Boxing Day, but that's breaking the 'choose your bubble' rule. Given that we've been bending the rules to do the grandchild care anyway, we've settled on a Xmas for just me and the missus. TBH it's a bit of a relief from a catering point of view - and last year was gruelling, as we were both pretty ill (quite possibly with COVID). 

Can’t help but sense that this, while a commendably sensible stance, is a subtle public service announcement that your Christmas Day updates regarding your beverage intake may contain more grammatical errors than previous years...

• Haha 1

So, in the small print of the 3 households, your returning students count as part of your 1 household.

So, kid back from Manchester, kid back from Nottingham, family from Swansea, family from Bristol, all gathering in Cardiff = 3 households 

Here’s a peer reviewed study trying to understand why some countries were affected much worse than others. 

Their conclusion is that the government response is largely irrelevant to determining the impact of the virus. The main factor is how healthy the population was when the virus came through. 

Conclusion: Countries that already experienced a stagnation or regression of life expectancy, with high income and NCD rates, had the highest price to pay. This burden was not alleviated by more stringent public decisions. Inherent factors have predetermined the Covid-19 mortality: understanding them may improve prevention strategies by increasing population resilience through better physical fitness and immunity.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.604339/full?fbclid=IwAR28GjS-yPg1q6t5JZCO6pgeGNESdlX6o17gPSAhRpNYiXgPS-nKKJ2g4rE

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm fairly sure the council have the power to close these places down because they threatened to do so with the salon by our office, so why let the fines get so high?

The story I read said that police told the council it’s their problem so we’ll see what happens next...

Just now, Genie said:

The story I read said that police told the council it’s their problem so we’ll see what happens next...

It is the councils problem, its the responsibility of the Environmental / Licensing Dept

• Like 1

Â