Generic Virus Thread

villakram

In the game of Covid top trumps does keeping pubs open beat saving lives and reducing the spiralling cases of Corona virus? I’m not hopeful myself, very clearly political move he knows he won’t win.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

In the game of Covid top trumps does keeping pubs open beat saving lives and reducing the spiralling cases of Corona virus? I’m not hopeful myself, very clearly political move he knows he won’t win.

Well, it depends, doesn't it. It's not as simple as you suggest. We'll put aside for a moment the conversation about how much pubs actually contribute at all. Would we close businesses for the next year that employ about half a million people in order to save 1 life? Of course not. A couple of million? Absolutely. 

We're very much in to the murky waters of weighing up how many people's lives we're willing to set back significantly to save (almost certainly a much smaller number of) other people's lives. There are no easy answers.

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, it depends, doesn't it. It's not as simple as you suggest. We'll put aside for a moment the conversation about how much pubs actually contribute at all. Would we close businesses for the next year that employ about half a million people in order to save 1 life? Of course not. A couple of million? Absolutely. 

We're very much in to the murky waters of weighing up how many people's lives we're willing to set back significantly to save (almost certainly a much smaller number of) other people's lives. There are no easy answers.

Current situation is cases spiralling out of control.

When Leicester went into local lockdown a few weeks ago it had 70 cases per 100,000 people. The numbers I saw at the weekend suggested Liverpool has over 600 per 100,000 people. Obviously an issue to be addressed urgently.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Now they trying to tell us covid survives  on bank notes for four weeks...

Hmm cashless society  anyone?

The only physical money I've touched since March has been out of my change jar for pumping up tyres and pay and display machines

It's not even news, iirc this was known before we even went into lockdown the first time

• Like 1

Too much focus in this thread on fomites (surfaces) in general the last few days tbh imo

I haven't seen anything from reliable scientific sources saying anything other than that the vast majority of transmission is through droplets in the air, and also that around 80% of infections are driven by circa 20% of infected people (ie, super-spreaders), neither of which seems to suggest that worrying about picking up covid from surfaces is time well spent (though obviously a good idea to wash your hands regularly anyway, not just because of covid).

I'm open to correction if people have reliable recent sources arguing otherwise, but that's what I've read.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Too much focus in this thread on fomites (surfaces) in general the last few days tbh imo

I haven't seen anything from reliable scientific sources saying anything other than that the vast majority of transmission is through droplets in the air, and also that around 80% of infections are driven by circa 20% of infected people (ie, super-spreaders), neither of which seems to suggest that worrying about picking up covid from surfaces is time well spent (though obviously a good idea to wash your hands regularly anyway, not just because of covid).

I'm open to correction if people have reliable recent sources arguing otherwise, but that's what I've read.

A7-FD7-F07-D0-CA-4-A43-8-B74-DE311673924

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Well, two things - first, note that I didn't say it is impossible, and second note the date on that piece of advice.

I don’t think this virus, or the general way any respiratory viruses are passed around has changed since March.

15 hours ago, Seat68 said:

One of a number of measures

If all the measures were kept to by everyone to an acceptable level the Virus in the UK and NL would in theory be a memory only.

Unfortunately the governments in question have lost the dressing room.  I don't believe anyone is taking the instructions seriously anymore and there is no way back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think this virus, or the general way any respiratory viruses are passed around has changed since March.

If you think our understanding of the virus has not changed since March, you are mistaken. The WHO have changed advice on several points (even massive ones, like wearing masks).

• Like 1

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Unfortunately the governments in question have lost the dressing room.  I don't believe anyone is taking the instructions seriously anymore and there is no way back.

I kinda agree but do think a lot of people still take them seriously, the amount of “why should I bother when the people in charge don’t” has grown to a point where it’s having a negative impact.

• Like 1

Â