Generic Virus Thread

villakram

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So basically, the good independent local boozers will probably go bust, while 'Spoons will scoop up the surplus trade? Wouldn't be because Tim Martin is a Brexiteer and Tory party donor, would it?  

The whole pandemic response is causing this very depressing scenario, not just in pubs by any means. Small businesses of all kinds lack the cash reserves to get through, while big players can. Meanwhile Jeff Bezos has added tens of billions in wealth since February.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The whole pandemic response is causing this very depressing scenario, not just in pubs by any means. Small businesses of all kinds lack the cash reserves to get through, while big players can. Meanwhile Jeff Bezos has added tens of billions in wealth since February.

But we can't tax Amazon, Uber, Deliveroo, etc aggressively and force them to properly employ their staff, because they might leave. And then, erm...Wait, what was the problem again? 

• Like 2

Quasi-serious question.

Doesn't anyone know how or if blood alcohol level effects the ability of the virus to take hold and replicate? Certainly in the days after a bender you'll be feeling worse for wear, but has the alcohol killed or inhibited the virus at the time of peak exposure, in addition to liver and cognitive function?

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

Quasi-serious question.

Doesn't anyone know how or if blood alcohol level effects the ability of the virus to take hold and replicate? Certainly in the days after a bender you'll be feeling worse for wear, but has the alcohol killed or inhibited the virus at the time of peak exposure, in addition to liver and cognitive function?

Literally on WHO's list of myths about Covid.

https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/437608/Alcohol-and-COVID-19-what-you-need-to-know.pdf

image.png.cce3b24371f45e8776fb74da585bb141.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Over 1,500 confirmed cases from 1 university 😳

My niece went back to Nottingham for year 2 a few weeks ago. She’s living with 8 other people. One of them tested positive early doors and within ten days, they’ve all followed suit. I can’t vouch for the other 8 but I know my niece is super careful so it’s clearly rampant up there, as the stats suggest. 
It’s just madness that the government thought that telling everyone to go back to study on-site was a good idea.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

a useful Twitter account to follow

And made even more impressive when during the A-level result clusterfudge it turned out that it's not the account of some bored politics professor at a former polytechnic, but a teenage student.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Just as an example of what I'm talking about. note the red area I've (badly) drawn. That is 3 different privately owned Halls of Residence. Over 3000 students live there, in a space actually smaller than Lime Street Station opposite

This is the problem that now needs solving, nothing I've seen so far announced today even attempts to address it

Skelhorne.png

I hope they're multi-storey buildings!

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I hope they're multi-storey buildings!

They are, two of them have one door, the other has two. 4 doorways and 3 receptions.... 3000 students. Its not even unique, plenty more just like them

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Posted without comment

The 'tier 3' measures will fail. They barely do anything. They're a sop to looking like they're doing something whilst doing nothing of real use. 

The only way to control this without a vaccine is lockdown. If you don't lockdown, your best case scenario is limited 'flattening of the curve', which if things get really bad doesn't achieve much. But lockdown isn't going to happen again, so we're left with these feeble recommendations and limited restrictions.

If this isn't to become an even greater shit show, it'll require fate to smile on us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The 'tier 3' measures will fail. They barely do anything. They're a sop to looking like they're doing something whilst doing nothing of real use. 

The only way to control this without a vaccine is lockdown. If you don't lockdown, your best case scenario is limited 'flattening of the curve', which if things get really bad doesn't achieve much. But lockdown isn't going to happen again, so we're left with these feeble recommendations and limited restrictions.

If this isn't to become an even greater shit show, it'll require fate to smile on us.

Yes I cant see people abiding by the rules of not going to other household in places of high alerts and pubs closing in very high areas means people will just travel where pubs are open.  A full lockdown again, I dont think people would stomach. There would be riots on the street. 

Â