Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Is Florida a Republican ran swing state?

Yes he is

Description

Ronald Dion DeSantis is an American attorney, naval officer and politician serving as the 46th and current governor of Florida since 2019. A member of the Republican Party, he previously represented Florida's 6th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 2013 to 2018.

Wiki

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

I’m sure in read on here that the Governor was a mini-Trump type nutter.

Makes sense then. A little Bread and circuses before the election.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Wasn't the issue with NHS computers going down to that ransomware a couple of years ago down to them running XP? Or was that apocryphal?

So I don’t want to go into too much detail as it’s my work, but I have to make the web apps used for them support IE which is a bit of a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My missus' NHS trust has instructed the staff the "pause" the NHS covid app whilst they are in work

So the staff don't get contracted by test and trace and therefore won't have to self-isolate and be off work

Their reasoning is, well you won't have it because you'll now be wearing a mask all day (This is an admin team for a non-essential service)

I might be about to leak this to my MP, I'm not arsed about the sham app btw its more to do with the mask makes you impregnable to the virus attitude

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

So I don’t want to go into too much detail as it’s my work, but I have to make the web apps used for them support IE which is a bit of a nightmare.

Why won't ie just die? It's the bane of every web developer's life and has ruined mine for about twenty years now.... Grrrr

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

My missus' NHS trust has instructed the staff the "pause" the NHS covid app whilst they are in work

So the staff don't get contracted by test and trace and therefore won't have to self-isolate and be off work

Their reasoning is, well you won't have it because you'll now be wearing a mask all day (This is an admin team for a non-essential service)

I might be about to leak this to my MP, I'm not arsed about the sham app btw its more to do with the mask makes you impregnable to the virus attitude

My wife in the labs was told the same last week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Microsoft has declared IE to be a "compatibility solution", even they don't recommend its use as a web browser these days. And Edge is now pretty good.

You mean Chrome with a Microsoft theme?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Microsoft has declared IE to be a "compatibility solution", even they don't recommend its use as a web browser these days. And Edge is now pretty good.

Yeah I know, but organisations like the NHS just aren't able to move all their users onto new browsers for a whole variety of reasons.

Having aging IT infrastructure in a time like this can be very very dangerous and it'd be nice to think that Covid might prompt a change of thinking around this. But it won't because it costs money to keep upgrading systems and software solutions.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Worth remembering that the NHS is still the world’s largest purchaser of fax machines and fax paper.

Not convinced its true any more. Last year it possibly was but significant moves have now been made to do things digitally. The missus finally got rid of the fax machine late last year because the only surviving hospital of the fax era changed to email. I should point out that this was also the newest hospital in the area and yes they still used faxes even after opening a new hospital

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not convinced its true any more. Last year it possibly was but significant moves have now been made to do things digitally. The missus finally got rid of the fax machine late last year because the only surviving hospital of the fax era changed to email. I should point out that this was also the newest hospital in the area and yes they still used faxes even after opening a new hospital

My missus has just had to buy a fax machine so her office can communicate with the local Health Visitor Team!

28 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah I know, but organisations like the NHS just aren't able to move all their users onto new browsers for a whole variety of reasons.

Having aging IT infrastructure in a time like this can be very very dangerous and it'd be nice to think that Covid might prompt a change of thinking around this. But it won't because it costs money to keep upgrading systems and software solutions.

Yes exactly this, too much out there to just change it all. Fortunately they are now on IE11, I was supporting IE8 until quite recently and nothing written in javascript would ever work properly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My missus has just had to buy a fax machine so her office can communicate with the local Health Visitor Team!

Haha, my missus probably does much the same job, School nurses and health visitors.

The only people left using faxes were the childrens hospital, They only found out about the change when someone phoned the hospital and asked if the fax machine was plugged in. They neglected to tell anyone of the change and my missus had just ordered a new machine about three months earlier

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Haha, my missus probably does much the same job, School nurses and health visitors.

The only people left using faxes were the childrens hospital, They only found out about the change when someone phoned the hospital and asked if the fax machine was plugged in. They neglected to tell anyone of the change and my missus had just ordered a new machine about three months earlier

I had a job about 17 years ago that used faxes a lot but it was possible to send and receive faxes from your pc. Why don’t the NHS have this system?

Â