Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Yes, it appears that even entirely healthy and otherwise fit and low risk people are getting long lasting and significant effects from contracting the virus. But that's harder to quantify and makes the virus much scarier (it appears to literally be a lottery whether you get this and you barely know, or get it and puts you in a grave, or get it and end up with significant complications).

Focusing on the deaths isn't telling the whole story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Severe illness, long lasting effects and complications (especially fatigue, organ issues), &c.

Severe illness - reasonably constrained, not too alarming.

Long lasting effects - unknown, but do remember to take your "vaccine", the producer is indemnified afterall... by you dear taxpayer.

Complications - reasonably well constrained. Duplication of point one when important, unknown regarding point 2. The complications resulting from needing to stay in an ICU are simply to be expected, and likewise if you need to stay in a hospital and bare little relevance to the general infection case.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Long lasting effects - unknown

Randomly swelling joints and bouts of intense fatigue ongoing in friends infected in April.

It's put me off catching it and letting nature take its course.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Randomly swelling joints and bouts of intense fatigue ongoing in friends infected in April.

It's put me off catching it and letting nature take its course.

Just a difference in how one understands the term 'long term' then.

There's lot's of these anecdotes swirling around, no where near as much study, which of course will take time, so somewhat of a catch 22.  

3 hours ago, Genie said:

A load of junior football games where I live have been cancelled for 2 weeks due to the large amount of kids that are isolating. 

Children are not a risk group. It’s probably better that they get their immunity and move on. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

... to infect other people, with a virus you can catch more than once

Not really. It seems you can catch different strains but that is rare enough to make the news. 

Knowing what we know now I really think the ‘shut down society and wait for a cure’ brigade are actually causing more harm than they are hoping to prevent. 

Edited by LondonLax

Just now, LondonLax said:

Not really. It seems you can catch different strains but that is rare enough to make the news. 

Sorry, this is nonsense. I know three people who've had it twice myself. Not actually sure if one of them doesn't currently have it a third time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't take risks bsed on a false premise

Is halting every child’s education for a year (or more) a risk worth taking? There are genuine questions that seem to get lost in the culture wars that have unfortunately take over any rational discussion about Coronavirus. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is halting every child’s education for a year (or more) a risk worth taking?

Actually we were talking about kids football matches but as you've brought it up, it actually has a number of benefits. Firstly we start kids in school earlier than a lot of countries for starters, so delaying entry into the school system for a year for everyone will not actually do any harm. It would also give those kids who currently have left school and can't get a job a bit of a head start on the other side of this

I will acknowledge that there is a downside to it too but my aim is to point out that it isn't as bad a suggestion as you believe it to be

FWIW I think the disadvantages probably outweight the advantages but not by that much. It wouldn't be the disaster many keep saying

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Actually we were talking about kids football matches but as you've brought it up, it actually has a number of benefits. Firstly we start kids in school earlier than a lot of countries for starters, so delaying entry into the school system for a year for everyone will not actually do any harm. It would also give those kids who currently have left school and can't get a job a bit of a head start on the other side of this

I will acknowledge that there is a downside to it too but my aim is to point out that it isn't as bad a suggestion as you believe it to be

FWIW I think the disadvantages probably outweight the advantages but not by that much. It wouldn't be the disaster many keep saying

There are plenty of headlines in the news at the moment with stories about uni students getting mass outbreaks in their dormitories etc and I have to ask, is that really a problem? 

Essentially what I am trying to say here is that it is frustrating that an issue that should be dealt with in a clinical scientific way seems to have fallen into the usual culture wars, where you pick your team and fight that corner to the death. As we find out more about this virus the costs seem like they are becoming harder to justify. 

Â