Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How long do you wait to see if there are any side effects? 

Now that is a good question and one I don't know the answer to. I'm sure they have reasonable timescales they adhere to but there's nothing to say that any treatment wouldn't cause a side effect 10 years later and no vaccine, drug or treatment is going to wait 10 years before going to market. Perhaps they expect that any side effects would be instant or within e.g. 3 months? If something was going to come as a side effect, you'd expect to see it in some of the test subjects within a fairly short period of having the vaccine. It would seem a fairly remote possibility that every person (including all of the thousands of people who had the vaccine 6 months ago) would all have a delayed onset side effect that didn't expose until months later.

Gotta feel sorry for these poor bastards:

Ei60xOSVgAEklL7?format=jpg&name=small

(They are horseshoe crabs; their blood is essential in the vaccine production process, and so they are 'bled' of 30% of their blood in this industrial system - there's some disagreement about how many survive and how healthily after the process).

Article on this here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53333096

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Now that is a good question and one I don't know the answer to. I'm sure they have reasonable timescales they adhere to but there's nothing to say that any treatment wouldn't cause a side effect 10 years later and no vaccine, drug or treatment is going to wait 10 years before going to market. Perhaps they expect that any side effects would be instant or within e.g. 3 months? If something was going to come as a side effect, you'd expect to see it in some of the test subjects within a fairly short period of having the vaccine. It would seem a fairly remote possibility that every person (including all of the thousands of people who had the vaccine 6 months ago) would all have a delayed onset side effect that didn't expose until months later.

Typically a stage 3 trial to wait for side effects goes for two to three years. The whole process for checking a new treatment takes 3-6 years. 

Something tells me we’re not going to bother waiting to check with any new COVID vaccine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Something tells me we’re not going to bother waiting to check with any new COVID vaccine

Perhaps the mitigation is that it's a well known vaccine method and the SARS-Cov-2 virus itself is a bog standard spike protein coronavirus that's well understood.

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

(They are horseshoe crabs; their blood is essential in the vaccine production process, and so they are 'bled' of 30% of their blood in this industrial system - there's some disagreement about how many survive and how healthily after the process).

Sharks too ☹️

Sharks produce squalene, a natural oil made in their livers, which is an ingredient in several COVID-19 vaccine candidates

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-half-a-million-sharks-could-be-killed-for-vaccine-experts-warn-12083167

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The sheer volume required. Administering a vaccine to the global population will be the largest logistical undertaking the world has ever seen. Just the shipping would require 8000 jumbo jets apparently. Nothing close to this has ever been done, in peace or war time. 

On this, here are a couple of tweets from a very long twitter thread:

The entire thread is worth a read because it goes in to a lot of detail (quite a bit well beyond my capabilities re: the science) about all of the various vaccines methods and technologies, the stages where the trials are at, the issues with responses, safety, distribution, production, longevity, &c.

It reinforces the points that you and others have made about the challenges faced with regard to getting vaccines for this (even whilst explaining why some steps and the overall process can be much quicker than normal) and that it's not just a simple, single process or that there's 'a method'.

There's also some interesting stuff in his conclusions about effects for different groups (especially the most vulnerable) and whether we may end up with vaccines that prevent us from disease but not infection.

Altogether, he's very positive about how it's all going but it does reinforce the notion that it's a complicated problem with many possible solutions that has, as you've said, a very diificult logistical issue when for distribution when applied globally.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Its like one of those vampire blood factories on Blade

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Is that the bar where everything is VAT free too, you literally can't make it up.

Not just VAT free, taxpayer subsidised, I believe. 

Any other businesses that let you get pissed while you're working? These guys do it, exempt themselves from the law to do so, and do it on our **** money.

Parliament has no moral authority to impose laws on the people that they exempt themselves from. I can't imagine I'll have much luck in court with that argument, but I feel perfectly justified taking their regulations as "advice" at this point. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Parliament has no moral authority to impose laws on the people that they exempt themselves from. I can't imagine I'll have much luck in court with that argument, but I feel perfectly justified taking their regulations as "advice" at this point. 

I reckon a large number of people have taken that position since the smug elites decided that rules were just for the commoners to follow.

Dominic-Cummings-Reuters-Yui-Mok-e156958

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not just VAT free, taxpayer subsidised, I believe. 

Any other businesses that let you get pissed while you're working? These guys do it, exempt themselves from the law to do so, and do it on our **** money.

SHOOT 'EM

There really is no plausible justification for bars and restaurants on the Parliamentary estate to have different rules. While it probably doesn't *matter* in some sense, it's just obvious that 'leading from the front' or 'leading by example' are the ways you need to act when you want people to actually take you seriously.

Â