Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Just out of interest, what's everyones thoughts on the NHS tracing app?

came here to ask. you lot are well versed on the shadiness of this government and Cummings concerning the app, should it be avoided?

7 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Just out of interest, what's everyones thoughts on the NHS tracing app?

It's a sham, it's pointless actually downloading it because of what the app doesn't do and the way test and trace works... (or doesn't more to the point)

The App is a bit of a political placebo, it's just there to make people feel safer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

So I just went out for dinner and it was really nice but then of course right at the end the topic turns to the virus and I had that realisation that one of my best mates is one of the anti-mask conspiracy theorists, he then went on to say that there is a cure for cancer but there's too much money in not making it available at which point I basically paid and walked out.  He knew my Mum passed away from cancer, I genuinely don't think there is anything I find more offensive than that.  I just increasingly find myself surrounded by a smaller and smaller circle of people who aren't complete morons.  I find this is one of the few places left that I can vent.

I'm sorry to hear that. Never nice to realise someone you have love for has opinions that are not just dumb but Bad as well.

I was looking at some Facebook profiles of far right types in the Midlands earlier, and I noticed - amongst many other bat-shit views - that some people seem to have convinced themselves that dog deworming pills can cure cancer. Dunno if that's what your friend saw, but that seems to be doing the rounds these days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Also my phone is too old to use the QR code reader bars/restaurants ask you to scan as you go in. Some places I believe will refuse to let you in if that is the case.

Records are legally required to be taken - that can be done via the App/QR code or recorded by the staff at a venue.

If they've chosen to only allow in people who scan the code and use the App then that would be a choice they've made and would suggest to me that they are places to be avoided anyway as they're just being words removed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Lost taste and smell Sunday night and positive results on the test this morning. 

Knew I'd end up getting it. As a teacher, it's been impossible to social distance from 30 kids. 

Take it easy man and get well soon!

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Lost taste and smell Sunday night and positive results on the test this morning. 

Knew I'd end up getting it. As a teacher, it's been impossible to social distance from 30 kids. 

That sucks! Hopefully you will feel better soon!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not touching it.

I'm asking because I had a conversation with a "friend" the other day where I said words to the effect of "if this government is advising me to do something you can bet it's not in my interest". A flippant comment, but it's the sentiment of the thing.

From a technical perspective, I don't trust it. I don't trust the intentions behind it. As @bickster mentioned its a "sham". Do we know where all this data is and who legally can access it, and for what purpose? Despite all the NHS badges it's a private company that's running it. Is it secure or are we going to find the Russians/Chinese are actively trying to break into it?

Then there's the actual track and trace element to it. Do I really want to be told I've brushed past someone who may have COVID (I say may because no one can get a test so it seems anyone with a fever has it now) so I can be told to isolate, potentially lose income? Just on the off chance?

• Like 1

It's interesting that police officers have specifically been instructed to not use this app on duty, isn't it? The fear of the entire UK police force being on a rolling self isolation wave suggests we still may not be handling this very well. :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I'm asking because I had a conversation with a "friend" the other day where I said words to the effect of "if this government is advising me to do something you can bet it's not in my interest". A flippant comment, but it's the sentiment of the thing.

From a technical perspective, I don't trust it. I don't trust the intentions behind it. As @bickster mentioned its a "sham". Do we know where all this data is and who legally can access it, and for what purpose? Despite all the NHS badges it's a private company that's running it. Is it secure or are we going to find the Russians/Chinese are actively trying to break into it?

Then there's the actual track and trace element to it. Do I really want to be told I've brushed past someone who may have COVID (I say may because no one can get a test so it seems anyone with a fever has it now) so I can be told to isolate, potentially lose income? Just on the off chance?

I think I have similar thoughts to you - though I will stress that I've seen some technical bods largely giving it the thumbs up on privacy grounds with a couple still expressing a little disquiet.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my concern (which doesn't seem to have been addressed by the thumbs up people) is about that functionality over and above the basic bluetooth proximity stuff, e.g. where it would seem to have to have the ability to connect with other data sources (like for receiving test results) and what this might mean.

On the 'told to isolate' - the basic part of the app is anonymous and thus this data is not supposed to be finding its way back to anyone. If it is found out that it is and instructions from contact tracers are given on behalf of that - rather than the advice via the App which is, at the moment, not a legal imperative to follow - then there may be all sorts of legal issues.

I also have a further issue in that I don't see it going away (even if the circumstances which herald its coming do or largely become less troublesome). Cummings is very keen on big data and using everyone's data and isn't terribly concerned with other people's data privacy (though he's very concerned with his own - as is the way with these types). He is also, I believe, pretty keen on some sort of digital ID. It's not 'conspiracy theory' stuff to believe that people and governments keen on pushing through a particular policy would look to exploit opportunities that show themselves to the advantage of facilitating that policy.

I think, tbh, that we'll see digital 'signing in' to locations becoming compulsory by habit if not by law (though it could be legal withdrawal of access to things, e.g. by pushing through the digital first policy to its extreme) within a decade. I don't want to play ball with the initial steps towards that end.

Edited by snowychap
Too many double letters - poor keyboard!
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought the majority of the new cases were young-ish adults?

They are unlikely to be in a school or a care home (in significant numbers).

What is the source of that? Define youngish adults

Now presumably, the youngish adults you are referring to are students, 18-21 year olds that have just arrived at University, how many of those do you think have arrived at Uni a couple of weeks after their younger siblings returned to school?

That there is your explosion in youngish adults and not the pub

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

What is the source of that? Define youngish adults

Now presumably, the youngish adults you are referring to are students, 18-21 year olds that have just arrived at University, how many of those do you think have arrived at Uni a couple of weeks after their younger siblings returned to school?

That there is your explosion in youngish adults and not the pub

I can’t find the source quickly now but it was widely reported that the start of this second wave that the infections were occurring in the adults in the 20-39 ball park, this was why there were relatively few hospital admissions for the amount of infections.

How are PHE or anyone else able to confirm exactly where someone is picking up the infection? 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t find the source quickly now but it was widely reported that the start of this second wave that the infections were occurring in the adults in the 20-39 ball park, this was why there were relatively few hospital admissions for the amount of infections.

How are PHE or anyone else able to confirm exactly where someone is picking up the infection? 

20-39 ball park? You mean the age group that has children...

Â