Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Shes put a lot of people at risk. There can be no excuses. Its a blatent disrespect of the law when she should be setting an example. 

Cummings should have been the original example.

• Like 2

Cummings was the original example, absolutely.

But go high, set yourself a better bar than just matching the tory scammers and sex pests.

Pressure to resign for that one (once the whips have checked there aren’t 18 similar cases hiding).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I might use that excuse if it works for her, the thing with Genie is that there was no malice in his robbing of the petrol station, he’s just a bit hard of thinking.

I'd believe that :P 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Cummings was the original example, absolutely.

But go high, set yourself a better bar than just matching the tory scammers and sex pests.

Pressure to resign for that one (once the whips have checked there aren’t 18 similar cases hiding).

Think they'll be keen for her to resign. She risks doing more damage to the brand by staying on, and they'd probably win the by-election anyway.

• Like 1

I was talking to one of the other dads at football training on Tuesday, he was saying his great aunt is 96 and in a home. Someone in the home had it so they tested everybody. Her test came back positive even though she had no symptoms.

The thing is, he was saying she’s wanted to die for a long time and said she hoped it would take her. She made a full recovery without ever knowing there was a virus in her body.

• Like 1

I wonder why. Any thoughts on the cause BJ? Any at all? No? Bit of a **** mystery is it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54392187

PM Boris Johnson has suggested the recent spike in coronavirus cases in the UK is a result of a "fraying of people's discipline" over the summer.

He said compliance with the virus restrictions had been "high at first" but then "probably... everybody got a bit, kind of complacent and blasé".

• Like 1

This is posted to give you a link to the google.doc the article is about (link in last but one line)

This scientist made a Google Doc to educate the public about airborne coronavirus transmission

The evidence that the coronavirus spreads through the air has been mounting for months. However, the official guidance from the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control is still that droplets are the main route of transmission. In fact, the CDC changed its website last month to acknowledge airborne transmission as a route for covid-19 infections but removed the new guidance just days later, saying it had been posted in error. An official told CNN that it “wasn't ready to be posted.” All clear?

Back in July, a group of 239 experts sent an open letter to the WHO imploring it to acknowledge airborne transmission. Three months later, the WHO’s guidance has changed subtly but still only suggests airborne transmission plays a limited role. Rather than wait for officialdom to catch up, one of those signatories, Jose-Luis Jimenez, a chemistry professor at the University of Colorado, Boulder, who has studied aerosols for 20 years, decided to go straight to the public with the latest advice on how people can protect themselves and those around them. He convened a group of nine other experts in the field to create this open-access Google Doc offering comprehensive advice on what you need to know about aerosol transmission, from best practices for masks to whether it’s safe to travel by airplane.

MIT Technology Review

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

770 tested positive at Northumbria University

That must be some sort of record?

Hundreds of students at Northumbria University are self-isolating after testing positive for Covid-19.

A spokesman for the university, in Newcastle, confirmed 770 students had tested positive, 78 of whom are symptomatic.

All infected students, and their close contacts, are self-isolating for 14 days in line with government guidance. 

University and College Union (UCU) said it warned the university it was "far too soon for a mass return to campus".

In a statement the UCU, which represents lecturers, said: "We told Northumbria University they had a civic duty to put the health of staff, students and the local community first and we take no pleasure in now seeing another preventable crisis play out. 

"We warned last month that, given the current restrictions in the region, the direction of the infection rate and the problems with test and trace, it was clearly far too soon for a mass return to campus."

The exploitation of students over the past few months is only topped by the care home scandal tbh.

They did not need to be there, they've been lied to in order to get them to pay up. The government and Universities have basically conspired to hold students upside down and shake their money out of their pockets, it's absolutely revolting. This could have been massively reduced by distance learning. But it might have hurt signups. And the universities wouldn't stop at anything to fill up their extortionately priced bedsits. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The exploitation of students over the past few months is only topped by the care home scandal tbh.

They did not need to be there, they've been lied to in order to get them to pay up. The government and Universities have basically conspired to hold students upside down and shake their money out of their pockets, it's absolutely revolting. This could have been massively reduced by distance learning. But it might have hurt signups. And the universities wouldn't stop at anything to fill up their extortionately priced bedsits. 

How long till Starmer asks Johnson if he still thinks the schools and universities are save?

There is not one type of Uni course or Uni student that will ‘fit’ one type of learning experience.

I truly hope they do not at some point decide on the sort of blanket declaration so many want for Universities.

Not all courses can be run via zoom calls. Not all students can do the course from the bedroom in their parents house.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There is not one type of Uni course or Uni student that will ‘fit’ one type of learning experience.

I truly hope they do not at some point decide on the sort of blanket declaration so many want for Universities.

Not all courses can be run via zoom calls. Not all students can do the course from the bedroom in their parents house.

No, that's true. But there should have been a plan to reduce attendance to where it was needed, as well as reduce capacity where physical contact was required.

It's the same as in schools, they've just piled them all back with no real measures. Maybe some arrows on the floor in the hallways. Keeping everyone away all of the time probably wasn't the answer, but neither was just going back to normal, and really hoping that things would be ok, which by most reports seems to be what's going on in schools and universities across the country.

So, I’ve currently got my nippers in two different universities.

The one is on a course that requires face to face teaching and some physical interaction. The Uni has been excellent. Zoom taster classes through the summer, did the accommodation early and got them all introduced to each other early so they were buddies before they met for real. Anyone that felt they weren’t a good fit with their flat mates could move before they even arrived and met.

The course has decanted from small studios to larger gyms and halls so they are still together but more spaced out more often. Moving in day was brought forward a week, there were ‘marshalls’ and guides everywhere. There are still people wandering around just making sure everything is cool, making sure nobody is taking the piss. But encouraging individual flats and blocks to enjoy themselves and enjoy the experience. 

Really can’t fault it.

The other nipper, is doing an I.T. Course, which I would presume could be done pretty close to 100% remotely.

Absolute disorganised shit show. Literally no plan.

• Like 1

The first one sounds like they've handled things very responsibly. The second sounds far more typical from reports and posts online, but I guess people posting "everything is being handled well" doesn't get as much attention so it's not exactly a fair sample. 

The uni library I work at has tried to make the library sites as 2nd wave proof as possible, but I still think it will be carnage. I suspect the Cardiff lockdown announced a week ago at least ensured a fair amount of students probably held back from returning though. There is an option for any student to choose to study remotely for the semester at least. 

The Unis though just don't want to open up the chance for loads of students to go  'this ain't worth 9k a year' - which it never has been tbf.

And the money from international students... wow. The projected deficit from losing even 40-50% of those numbers is absolutely staggering. Those fees must be insane.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I know an American guy who has been spending a year in Leeds doing a master's degree in performing arts - theatre production, sound, lighting, staging, etc. He's done the whole thing by zoom tutorials and writing essays, still got awarded his M.A. Seems a bit iffy to me. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â