Generic Virus Thread

villakram

The end game for this is still pretty much unknown, the most common story line is that a vaccine is released at some stage next year and the world moves on but you could also get an outcome where the virus burns itself out before a vaccine arrives. You could even get the other extreme where the virus becomes part of society and you need an annual vaccine for evermore, like the flu vaccine. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You could even get the other extreme where the virus becomes part of society and you need an annual vaccine for evermore, like the flu vaccine

I think that's the most likely outcome

• Like 1

Online University services have suffered concerted cyber attacks of late.

It couldn't possibly be those cuddly Tory funding and Brexit aiding Russians, chipping away at the institutions of the UK.

There can’t be many people who won’t get round to having the vaccine. Antivaxxers will obviously make a huge fuss about not having it. 
If a vaccine is approved by all the relevant bodies then it’s pretty much a silver bullet. The vast majority will have it which will stop any significant spread in the future and live will get back to normality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

A pretty good bit on why a vaccine isn't going to be a 'Hollywood ending' to the crisis, from (surprisingly) the Mail on Sunday today:

Will a vaccine really be the silver bullet we're all praying for? Asks our GP columnist DR ELLIE CANNON who's a guinea pig in the global trial

more on link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8775855/Will-vaccine-really-silver-bullet-praying-Asks-DR-ELLIE-CANNON.html

Daily hate columnist in "can't understand basic science" shock. Click here for the top ten things they won't tell you.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking earlier, what would people’s thought be about having to pay for the vaccine? Obviously people on benefits, low earners, pensioners etc exempt but what about if everyone else paid something like £10 for it? Might go some way to covering some of the costs to develop it. 
I’d personally be ok with it.

Edit: Actually £10 is only a tad more than a prescription charge. I wonder if those that have to will pay a “prescription” fee for it?

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was thinking earlier, what would people’s thought be about having to pay for the vaccine? Obviously people on benefits, low earners, pensioners etc exempt but what about if everyone else paid something like £10 for it? Might go some way to covering some of the costs to develop it. 

Edit: Actually £10 is only a tad more than a prescription charge. I wonder if those that have to will pay a “prescription” fee for it?

Prescriptions are free here.

(not sure how that chimes in with Starmer & Johnson wanting a more unified approach, I guess it means you guys will join the rest of us on free prescriptions? Ha ha! Like bollocks it would) 

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

I *think* the development costs will be peanuts on this compared to other drugs. The vaccine (assuming Oxford/AstraZeneca) is an adenovirus delivered bit of RNA which is a very well established method and was already being developed by the Gates foundation and others as part of their philanthropic pandemic fund before China provided the genome sequence.

28 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

If 85%-90% of us get the vaccine and it works, and 10-15% of anti-Vax/KBF loons don’t take it, will the virus continue to circulate amongst them? 

That's the wrong question. Try framing it this way:

• Will the 10-15% of refusers be prosecuted for killing anyone that dies who couldn't take the vaccine?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I raised this a few pages back, gonna be big business for whichever Pharma wins the race, I’d imagine it’ll be one where at least one Tory sits on the board.

I’m not an anti-vaxxer but the vaccines we all take currently are tried and tested over a very long period of time, again as I’ve previously mentioned, I am and will be skeptical of any vaccine that comes out for this virus in the next 6-12 months.

I’m not digging in at this point to flat out say I wouldn’t accept/take a vaccine should one become available but I certainly won’t be first in the queue.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I raised this a few pages back, gonna be big business for whichever Pharma wins the race, I’d imagine it’ll be one where at least one Tory sits on the board.

I’m not an anti-vaxxer but the vaccines we all take currently are tried and tested over a very long period of time, again as I’ve previously mentioned, I am and will be skeptical of any vaccine that comes out for this virus in the next 6-12 months.

I’m not digging in at this point to flat out say I wouldn’t accept/take a vaccine should one become available but I certainly won’t be first in the queue.

I think that’s pretty much where I am.

I’m pro vaccination.

I’m anti rushed medical science overseen by incompetent scam artist politicians.

• Like 3

I’m not in a rush to be an early adopter for any vaccine either, however we are unlikely to be able to get one in the early stages of its release anyway. It will be a logistical nightmare to distribute so it’s likely medical staff would get the first round, then the elderly, then slowly rolling it out to the rest of the population.

• Like 1

The 50,000 or so people who have already had the Oxford vaccine alone are the early adopters. They volunteered to have it when it wasn't yet proven fully safe to make sure it's safe for the rest of us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not in a rush to be an early adopter for any vaccine either, however we are unlikely to be able to get one in the early stages of its release anyway. It will be a logistical nightmare to distribute so it’s likely medical staff would get the first round, then the elderly, then slowly rolling it out to the rest of the population.

I’m not sure why it’ll be such a logistical nightmare? There’s already systems and processes in place for medication and drugs.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure why it’ll be such a logistical nightmare? There’s already systems and processes in place for medication and drugs.

The sheer volume required. Administering a vaccine to the global population will be the largest logistical undertaking the world has ever seen. Just the shipping would require 8000 jumbo jets apparently. Nothing close to this has ever been done, in peace or war time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

The 50,000 or so people who have already had the Oxford vaccine alone are the early adopters. They volunteered to have it when it wasn't yet proven fully safe to make sure it's safe for the rest of us.

How long do you wait to see if there are any side effects? 

• Like 1

Â