Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don't forget, it was only a matter of months ago that same government said there was no value in wearing them.

I think they've always known masks would help but were probably worried about the general public buying up a load of PPE when they were scrambling around for PPE themselves

• Like 3

I agree with pretty much all of that @snowychap. I don't think it's an objectionable policy on the face of it, but I absolutely share you scepticism about why it's got to this point, the general lack of scrutiny, and how well it's be implemented. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I certainly think giving organisations some guidance on how this data should be collected, used and stored would be worthwhile, but I have to say, I think being able to track and trace is of far more importance in my eyes than data protection for this kind of data. And I'm not a "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" loon, generally I think the right to privacy is incredibly important, as is the right to knowing how our data is used and being able to consent to its use. 

Abusing data collected for this purpose should receive the harshest possible sanctions, IMO, but if we don't enforce the collection of this data, what's the alternative? Ads in the local paper? "Isolate if you were in the Red Lion on Wednesday night"?

There are two clear priorities for me, keeping deaths and unemployment low. The cases are growing at an alarming rate again, we need to prevent the deaths from doing so, and we need to prevent the widespread closing of businesses again which will see millions more lose their jobs.

The ICO cannot really cope with “normal” levels of data protection. Abusing data collected for this purpose would be so far down their list of priorities it would never get dealt with

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

That ship sailed a long time ago .Have you seen The Social Dilemma ?

Put it on my watchlist last night funnily enough, prob watch it over the weekend.

I’m less bothered about my virtual anonymity, even though that’s more likely to be hacked, strangely. I’m more about hiding from neighbours and getting angry if someone dares to call or knock the door after 7pm ;)

• Like 2

So let me get this right. If you test positive for CV19, and are caught breaching your self-isolation, you get fined a thousand quid. So what is the thought process of somebody who has symptoms, but fully intends to go down the pub tomorrow night? Let me guess - don't get tested? 

• Like 4

Grauniad:

People in England who refuse to self-isolate when required to do so will face fines of up to £10,000 under an emergency “carrot and stick” plan to control the second wave of Covid-19 sweeping the country.

From 28 September, under the emergency package announced by the prime minister last night, people will be required by law to self-isolate if they test positive or are contacted by the test and trace system as having been in contact with an infected person. Fines will start at £1,000, rising to £10,000 for “egregious” offences and serial offenders.

More police resources will also be directed to find offenders in high-incidence areas. Officers will be told to act on tips from neighbours.

...more

This has become truly dreadful now.

Government by diktat. No debate on measures. Government and PM encouraging people to spy on and grass up their neighbours.

Johnson, Cummings et al. are words removed.

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Grauniad:

Government by diktat. No debate on measures. Government and PM encouraging people to spy on and grass up their neighbours.

Hmmm, I wonder, what possible incentives might this create? Take a test, risk testing positive, and then get fined £10k if I don't self-isolate? Or, don't take a test, forget my sniffles or anosmia or whatever else, and keep going about my life? Should I leave my real details at the pub, or should I leave some fake ones?

• Like 2

Andrew Marr here, bravely blaming the public so as to let his political interviewee off the hook:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ANDREW MARR [leaning in, earnest look on his face]: '. . . but minister, wouldn't you agree that the public are a load of feckless idiots who are a complete disappointment to your government at every turn?'

MATT HANCOCK [puffing on cigar, feet on mid-set coffee table]: 'Steady on Andrew, I wouldn't use quite that language. Though of course you do make an excellent point that none of this is our fault, as we've been completely clear throughout.'

MARR [squeaking]: '. . . but minister, have you gone far enough in holding them accountable?'

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

People called this months ago when they started giving such conflicting messages. Their strategy all along has been to manufacture a way to blame the public for anything that goes wrong.

With all the talk of how irresponsible we are, and how much we're risking a second wave, it wasn't long ago at all when it was claimed we were actually responding too well, and continuing to minimise our risk too much instead of getting out there to spend. 

If the economy shits itself, it's our fault for going out, if cases spike, it's also our fault for going out. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People called this months ago when they started giving such conflicting messages. Their strategy all along has been to manufacture a way to blame the public for anything that goes wrong.

With all the talk of how irresponsible we are, and how much we're risking a second wave, it wasn't long ago at all when it was claimed we were actually responding too well, and continuing to minimise our risk too much instead of getting out there to spend. 

If the economy shits itself, it's our fault for going out, if cases spike, it's also our fault for going out. 

I completely agree, that's exactly what the government is and has been doing, and I agree that it was obvious all along, but I just want to stress that for the main interviewer on the national broadcaster to accept that framing is a deliberate *choice*. Marr doesn't have to accept that premise.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I completely agree, that's exactly what the government is and has been doing, and I agree that it was obvious all along, but I just want to stress that for the main interviewer on the national broadcaster to accept that framing is a deliberate *choice*. Marr doesn't have to accept that premise.

Been a journo-poodle for ages

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Grauniad:

Next step is to be paid for grassing on neighbours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh, the opposition have quit.

Good job the government haven't put a foot wrong.

I don't think that headline is a fair reflection of the interview. He attacked the government for the collapse of testing, said he thought Johnson ought to apologise for how badly testing has been handled, as well as the poor communication from the government.

They'll specifically support any lockdown measures, so as to not undermine the government's message if we need to tighten restrictions. I'm not sure I necessarily agree with it, but it's far from the opposition giving up. I think they're trying to avoid the perception of politicising the virus response itself, and instead want to be able to attack on the grounds of a lack of competence for the implementation being poor, rather than risk being seen as undermining lockdown if deaths spike. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â