Generic Virus Thread

villakram

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Define "organised sport"?

Organised sport is where the FAW instruct you that you have to start the season, they require £500 for every individual player registration and paying punters through the gate or in the clubhouse are strictly forbidden.

Oh sorry, organised, I thought you said absolute shit show.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Testing issues 'will be solved in a matter of weeks', says Hancock

That’s good then, just in time for the start of the pandemic.

Jeremy Hunt, the chair of the Commons health committee, said a week ago Hancock said it would take two weeks to sort out these delays. He asked if Hancock still thought he would be able to sort this out within a week from now.

Hancock said that he thought this could be sorted out within a matter of weeks

We'd have accepted "no" as an answer, minister. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I never thought to try but if this is true, then... well you can make your own minds up.

Latest on my daughter (kids with symptoms in Leeds, offered testing in Scotland or Wales). She emailed her (Tory) MP, playing hell about it. He suggested she go to a place in Leeds that would take 'drop ins', but only for key workers. Now she does work for the NHS, but not frontline clinical. She went, got them tested without even having to queue, results by text in 48 hours. But the interesting bit was that there was no check whatsoever on whether she was a key worker or not. They didn't even ask. Anybody could do this - if they knew about it. But it's all kept quiet. 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Latest on my daughter (kids with symptoms in Leeds, offered testing in Scotland or Wales). She emailed her (Tory) MP, playing hell about it. He suggested she go to a place in Leeds that would take 'drop ins', but only for key workers. Now she does work for the NHS, but not frontline clinical. She went, got them tested without even having to queue, results by text in 48 hours. But the interesting bit was that there was no check whatsoever on whether she was a key worker or not. They didn't even ask. Anybody could do this - if they knew about it. But it's all kept quiet. 

Why are you lot so worked up about covid? 

It a world of difference over here, even though we are still all masked up and distanced. How different societies have reacted and responded to this is going to result in so many phds in coming years, fascinating.

18 minutes ago, villakram said:

It a world of difference over here, even though we are still all masked up and distanced. How different societies have reacted and responded to this is going to result in so many phds in coming years, fascinating.

Because we're not brainwashed by a psychopathic leader into thinking there's nothing to worry about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because we're not brainwashed by a psychopathic leader into thinking there's nothing to worry about?

That's true. But we are brainwashed, to an extent. Or "conditioned" - first it was around this new virus which is causing havoc in Wuhan, China and then Northern Italy - deaths, lockdowns, crisis hospitals etc.

Then it made its way over here and rapidly started making people go all dead n'that. Tens of thousands, particularly elderly people in care homes, but also younger people in decent health. So then the Prime Minister went on the telly and said "unprecedented...people will die...stay home...save the NHS...lockdown" and the media and news was full of now't but covi deaths and cases and pandemic this n'that.

So people got scared, as they understandably would.

Now Trump is a monumental shit-gibbon, flinging turds of stupidity from his gilded cage, but we're not much better Governed.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

It a world of difference over here, we just shoot each other. Hundreds, week in, week, out every month, every year. Thousand upon thousands of dead. Tens of thousands in the last few years, over one hundred thousand in the last decade. Shot dead by fellow citizens.

So the flu is nothing to be worried about really.

Why are you lot not worked up about the rolling civil war?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Jeez, do you always have to default to interpreting things through a Trumpian lens.

I'm more interested in the actual day 2 day life, that is really being messed up and apparently causing much more general mayhem for the average person than what is occurring on the ground over here. We've had pretty much the same amount of people die and a similar ongoing run of cases, similar fear over schooling, but way less of the general chaos than I am being given the impression is occurring in your lives over there.

Population density is a little lower over here I guess, which helps, but there's a more general carry on regardless or that stiff upper lip thing that you lot used to be quite proud of. Just wondering if there were any thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, villakram said:

We've had pretty much the same amount of people die and a similar ongoing run of cases, similar fear over schooling, but way less of the general chaos than I am being given the impression is occurring in your lives over there.

Population density is a little lower over here I guess, which helps, but there's a more general carry on regardless or that stiff upper lip thing that you lot used to be quite proud of. Just wondering if there were any thoughts on this?

That’s interesting, because my impression from media coverage is that the US has had many more deaths, a much worse run of cases and more general chaos.

I also get the impression that different states have had widely different timelines and reactions to the virus. I’ve not seen much if anything about Michigan.

i have seen job losses over there, people with rent problems, no health cover because no job, protests about masks, biker rallies being super spreading events. In essence from the rest of the world outside America, the USA is seen as a basket case example of who dun it worst.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s interesting, because my impression from media coverage is that the US has had many more deaths, a much worse run of cases and more general chaos.

Per Capita, it isn't true... yet

Confirmed deaths (absolute) Daily increase (# deaths)¹ Population (in millions) Deaths per million
Peru 30,710 0 31.99 960.01
Belgium 9,927 2 11.42 869.11
Bolivia 7,394 50 11.35 651.27
Chile 12,013 64 18.73 641.41
Ecuador 10,922 19 17.08 639.3
Spain 29,848 101 46.72 638.82
Brazil 132,006 381 209.47 630.19
United Kingdom² 41,637 9 66.49 626.22
USA² 193,947 449 327.17 592.81
Italy 35,624 14 60.43 589.5
Sweden 5,846 0 10.18 574.08
Mexico 71,049 228 126.19 563.03
Panama 2,173 7 4.18 520.25

Statista (as of today as far as I can tell)        

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I also get the impression that different states have had widely different timelines and reactions to the virus. I’ve not seen much if anything about Michigan.

i have seen job losses over there, people with rent problems, no health cover because no job, protests about masks, biker rallies being super spreading events. In essence from the rest of the world outside America, the USA is seen as a basket case example of who dun it worst.

Lot's of that is true, but to claim the US has done it the worst is silly. The employment, rent and mortgage problems are real and will bite hard in coming months, though I doubt the US will be the only country with a horrible economic/social cost still to pay. I notice that protest about "masks" seems to be becoming more popular for some reason. It's almost like people need something to be angry at, because we sure as hell can't do a lot about this virus. Sure, the Trump related events are all very dangerous and super spreaders, not the mostly peaceful protests though, 'cause that's unpossible or some such nonsense. The US has problems, but it's been bang average in terms of countries who have done a poor job. Btw, it's simple as, to get a test over here for example, and has been for a couple of months.

I can only speak to the lack of flip flopping of regulations, in contrast to the general uncertainty that you lot appear to be having to deal with that is not really present over here. Sure, it's crap due to covid, but in a relatively constant manner.

Saying that, we have a petition drive underway here which aims to strip the governor of the power to enforce lockdowns as he/she sees fit, and instead force some consensus with the state legislature. It looks like they'll hit the ~400k signature threshold and then the fun will commence. Whatever that is, it is not something effecting everyday life, at least right now.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Jeez, do you always have to default to interpreting things through a Trumpian lens.

I'm more interested in the actual day 2 day life, that is really being messed up and apparently causing much more general mayhem for the average person than what is occurring on the ground over here. We've had pretty much the same amount of people die and a similar ongoing run of cases, similar fear over schooling, but way less of the general chaos than I am being given the impression is occurring in your lives over there.

It was a serious point. It wasn't a dig at you supporting Trump, I genuinely meant that Trump, whether you're a supporter or not, has been consistently pushing that it's not much to worry about and it's all fine and everyone should just carry on. 

That has meant that people care a lot less and stuff returns to normal quicker than places like here. 

The Covid situation is far worse there, but it's not being made out to be by Trump and co so people care a lot less.

If Johnson was doing the same here then far less people would care

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was a serious point. It wasn't a dig at you supporting Trump, I genuinely meant that Trump, whether you're a supporter or not, has been consistently pushing that it's not much to worry about and it's all fine and everyone should just carry on. 

That has meant that people care a lot less and stuff returns to normal quicker than places like here. 

The Covid situation is far worse there, but it's not being made out to be by Trump and co so people care a lot less.

If Johnson was doing the same here then far less people would care

Is it? Do you mean in terms of absolute numbers, as it’s not in terms of numbers per million (i.e accounting for the very different population sizes of the two countries)

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No, instead we’re brainwashed by an incompetent leader into thinking there is something to worry about.

Works both ways I’m afraid mate.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, instead we’re brainwashed by an incompetent leader into thinking there is something to worry about.

Works both ways I’m afraid mate.

Yep. Read my post earlier. We're all brainwashed to a certain degree. The media, the leaders all shape our perception.

But I don't think Boris is telling us there is something to worry about. he's been playing it down like the **** bellend that he is.

In reality, like most things, it's probably somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. There is something to worry about, but it's not the end of the world.

• Like 1

Â