Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Read my post earlier. We're all brainwashed to a certain degree. The media, the leaders all shape our perception.

But I don't think Boris is telling us there is something to worry about. he's been playing it down like the **** bellend that he is.

In reality, like most things, it's probably somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. There is something to worry about, but it's not the end of the world.

Agreed, as you say and as with most matters, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I just really want it all to be over and done with, don’t know about the rest of you but I’m totally exhausted with this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. i'm completely bored and sick of it now.

I think there was a certain novelty about it before. Not to trivialise it but it was exciting and interesting and scary and monumental about it at first. it was tragic of course and we all wish it didn't happen, but the whole in this together and pulling through with everyone made it bearable.

Now it's just horrible. I'm dying for it all to go back to normal. I'll of course carry on following guidelines but the thought ofa second peak and having to go through all of this again is really depressing. And I'm a luck y person in that I have friends and family and still have a job. For people less fortunate it must be horrendous.

2020 is a write off

Perfect summation for where I think most of us are at now👌

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Aad that's without anywhere near sufficient testing capacity. Anyone beginning to suspect the testing capacity is deliberate yet?

I have so many concerns and questions over the testing I don’t even know where to start.

I’d like some unequivocal proof that the tests are actually fit for purpose for starters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Almost 4000 new cases today. It continues to rise. 

I'm going to bite my tongue a little but cases are completely irrelevant. In fact, there's an argument it's not a bad thing. It's still lumped in with the moronic covid denying mind-control idiots, but there is a strong SCIENTIFIC belief that we are no longer really in a pandemic, we are getting cases with no real impact of the other more relevant data points. I posted (although it already had been earlier) a video that heavily questions the actual interpretation of numbers. 

Here's one from mainstream media;

I'll leave you with one thought; why is it a rule of six? Where does that come from, why not 3, 8, 15? Well studied scientific research or buzz word politics?! We're weeks away from the same simplistic lines we got for Brexit... "Let's get Covid done"

The data shows clearly a spike, there is no longer a spike in anything but cases. Serious questions need asking, are we letting the science lead us or the politics? 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've been commenting on the deaths and specifically comparing it with France/Spain who are a few weeks ahead of us for a little while now. The facts right now don't support tightening up restrictions.

It was interesting the fact that Covid deaths currently about half of influenza and pneumonia combined.

Should we continue to be careful? Yes of course. Should we be tightening more restrictions? I don’t think so either.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Should we continue to be careful? Yes of course. Should we be tightening more restrictions? I don’t think so either.

I agree with this. What this isn't is a reason to be reckless or irresponsible. There are several very effective measures, that have very little impact, that I think it is right to continue to follow. Social distancing, facial coverings, and good hygiene and avoiding touching your face are essential, effective, and in most situations low impact. But where we can, we should be trying to get life as close to normal as we can without causing a significant spike in serious hospitalisations and deaths. 

Once again, we have the advantage of being able to look to Spain and France to see in to the future. We need to make better use of it this time.

What's tricky is those places that can't observe social distancing well. Live indoor entertainment is just screwed until we get widely available vaccines, I think.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It was interesting the fact that Covid deaths currently about half of influenza and pneumonia combined.

I think the number of covid related deaths are greater than what are being reported. Saw today that in india the true death figure was at least 400-500 thousand.  So in isolation the number of cases per day is not terrible but we are already seeing an increase in hospitalisations and that is a problem when people are not being treated for other serious conditions. We still have winter to come so we must tread carefully. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think the number of covid related deaths are greater than what are being reported. Saw today that in india the true death figure was at least 400-500 thousand. 

Firstly, what's your source on India. Secondly, why do you think it has any relevance here? If you look at our excess deaths, it paints the picture of it not being as deadly as we thought, rather than the opposite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Firstly, what's your source on India. Secondly, why do you think it has any relevance here? If you look at our excess deaths, it paints the picture of it not being as deadly as we thought, rather than the opposite.

It was on bbc news 24 today. It is of relevance in showing just how deadly it is. Maybe the first wave here killed of many old people especially in care homes but I still live in fear of this winter. 

There has been no flu season this winter in the Southern Hemisphere. It was a very weak flu season in the northern winter last Christmas. What we had instead was a COVID spring.

It’s not a sure thing that there will be a bad winter this winter either with people circulating a lot less. 

Â