Generic Virus Thread

villakram

28 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

He touches upon the lockdown when he mentions Brazil (famously anti LD) and Peru which had an extremely militant lockdown. Although, to be fair, I have no idea whether the data or focus of it is transparent.

He also mentions Sweden quite heavily which is the outlier with regards lockdown in Europe.

I don't think it'd be fair to sweep it under the rug as overly biased but equally I'm interested as to why it might be. What data contradicts his theory?

I would think the data on those South American countries is legit but he also picked two countries which fit the narrative. If he had brought Argentina into the discussion (11,000 deaths in 45m people compared with 130,000 in 200m for Brazil) it would not have helped his cause. 

This virus is nasty (particularly for the elderly) and there is no vaccine so social distancing is the only weapon we have.

On the other hand I think there are a couple of things which have blown it up to be something far bigger than it actually is.

One is the initial Imperial College model which was predicting astronomical numbers of deaths (over 500,000 in the U.K. and over 2m dead in the US). It is now pretty clear that the model was woefully wrong.

The other aspect is a news cycle that displays numbers of deaths each day on the evening news. There is a shocking number of people who die every day in every country from all sorts of things  but we don’t normally talk about it or display it as a nightly roll call, it’s just understood as being part of life and not worth remarking on. However when you pick one cause of death and highlight it without a context of what is considered a usual number of deaths it appears to be a devastating statistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Finally a factor missing from his death rate analysis completely is health of a population.  The UK and USA for example have less healthy populations than say Sweden. Sweden, like the UK saw high numbers of deaths in care homes full of vulnerable people, but general population wise, Sweden being typically younger and healthier and less overweight etc. than the UK means fewer fatalities and hospital admissions per capita both before and after measures were introduced.  There's also ethnicity to factor in, and the susceptibility of different groups to severe symptoms. I'd do links and stuff but I'm sat on a wall using a mobile phone, not at a desk with a computer.

or there's this to take into account too...

3u3uegjfewm51.png

(Apologies to my Scandi friends)

• Haha 2

The government’s “world-beating” testing programme has a backlog of 185,000 swabs and is so overstretched that it is sending tests to laboratories in Italy and Germany, according to leaked documents.

A Department of Health and Social Care report marked “Official: sensitive” also confirms that most British laboratories are clearing fewer tests than their stated capacity, as they are hit by “chaos” in supply chains.

The government claims that it has capacity for 375,000 tests a day. However, the actual number of people being tested for the coronavirus stalled to just 437,000 people a week at the start of the month — equivalent to just 62,000 a day.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/leaked-figures-reveal-scale-of-coronavirus-test-shortage-xjxprnm0v

How important are the new rules?

Well, those in Westminster pretty much won’t adhere to them and those in Westminster haven’t bothered to cascade the regulations so yeah, looking forward to Hancock complaining about the minions not taking them seriously.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

How important are the new rules?

Well, those in Westminster pretty much won’t adhere to them and those in Westminster haven’t bothered to cascade the regulations so yeah, looking forward to Hancock complaining about the minions not taking them seriously.

It's more about what the police have the power to issue FPNs for now.

As before, it'll be up to the discretion of the officers involved and then if one wants to challenge it in court.

I'd prefer to punt my £100 on someone at 66s in this week's US Open golf. :)

• Like 1

I was thinking last night about football. The clubs could sell tickets for a specific stand but not a specific seat. You turn up and the stewards ask how many in the party and then direct you to some seats - leaving space between parties to the sides and in front and behind. 
Initially they could leave complete rows empty and 4/5 estates either side of each party.

Then after the game people file out 1 row at a time.

That could work couldn’t it?

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Define "organised sport"? Does keeping track of the score count? Alternatively, include at least one non-family player that you think is a right word removed. :) 

In Nottingham today

1zgjyb36e4n51.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=d097e9555d38c9d9cb021cb8b38fb4c204c9375e

I do hope someone threw a milkshake at him at some point.

I have a bit of a dilemma this week. I live near Kidderminster, and I have a work conference in the Arden Hotel in Solihull on Thursday. Which of course is now under tighter lockdown restrictions. 

As it’s work it’s still allowed to go ahead and the capacity is capped at 25/30 people, and safety measures are in place. 

My wife has asked me not to go, but work have paid to have their place at the conference. 

Is it wise travelling into a higher risk area for work, even though I’m allowed to? It’s not just me that could be effected, my wife works in a school, my son attends another school and my youngest is at a different nursery. That’s potentially a lot of spread! 

Â