Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Sky News

China has been giving experimental coronavirus vaccines to some key workers since July, a government official has said.

The vaccine's use has so far been limited to people who work for state-owned companies who need to go abroad, Zheng Zhongwei, of China's National Health Commission, told state media.

Some medical workers, border officials and those who work at food markets could be offered the vaccine in the autumn or winter, Mr Zheng added.

Its "emergency" use was approved by Beijing last month and was rolled out on 22 July, he added.

19 hours ago, bickster said:

This was in the replies

EgFcUJ6XsAIkTUE?format=jpg&name=large

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article
"Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

There is no statistical evidence for masks working. You are remembering to social distance too, because the mask works?!?

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Usain Bolt testing positive after first mocking social distancing and then hosting a huge birthday party where Leon Bailey and Raheem Sterling attended.

It is remarkable how effectively the virus targets hubris.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andym said:

You've quoted that paper a few times i think. Regarding facemasks, that paper is a review of 10 previous studies between 1946 and 2018. It does conclude (based on these older studies) that 'these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission' (note the bold) but also says:

'Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group'

It also says 'face masks might be able to reduce the transmission of other infections and therefore have value in an influenza pandemic when healthcare resources are stretched'

Politifact actually contacted one of the authors who said that the claim (that the study proves facemasks do not prevent the spread of the virus) is an 'incorrect interpretation' of the study, 'confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence'.

Seems that there's been a lot of papers produced the last few months specific to facemasks and Covid, and while there's no definitive consensus 'facemasks work' (although there are papers suggesting they do), there's nothing 100% definitive to say the opposite either. I would say in that situation maybe best to err on the side of caution, whats the downside of that?

I'm not sure about anyone else, but i'm finding that wearing a mask out and about actually gives me a pretty big reminder to be aware of social distancing and other measures.   

But hey, maybe i'm completely wrong and need to 'educate myself'.

Congratulations, I hope you found it rewarding... 

'confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence'.

That sort of rubbish line of reasoning belongs in the religion thread. Absence of evidence is just that. 

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Congratulations, I hope you found it rewarding... 

'confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence'.

That sort of rubbish line of reasoning belongs in the religion thread. Absence of evidence is just that. 

I don’t understand your posts these days. You get a fair bit of stick and it’s fair enough that that winds you up sometimes. 

But then somebody actually gives you a long, detailed and reasonable response to a post and all you can do is mock them. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

What do you get out of posting on here, @villakram? What do you expect people to say? You cherrypicked a single quote from an article to try to support your argument, and are now seem to be having a strop about being replied to with a fairly polite and reasoned response, that mostly consists of the rest of the thing you sourced!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Something that may be emerging is a deeply authoritatian/reactionary consensus among populations where coronavirus *hasn't* been widespread, as suggested in this Australian polling:

Two thirds of Australians don't think Australian citizens should be able to return to the country :o

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Something that may be emerging is a deeply authoritatian/reactionary consensus among populations where coronavirus *hasn't* been widespread, as suggested in this Australian polling:

Two thirds of Australians don't think Australian citizens should be able to return to the country :o

That’s not what the question asks. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That’s not what the question asks. 

The question asks 'would you support the closure of international borders to all foreign travellers and returning Australian citizens?' - I think my paraphrase was reasonable to be honest.

Â