Generic Virus Thread

villakram

A friend of mine works as an ornithologist at several of the bird reserves around the south coast and can report that many species have had their best year since the early 80's when it comes to hatching success. They've also recorded several Eastern species that have never been recorded in the UK before. Although it's too early to tell a lot of the research environment puts this squarely down to the fact that Europe and Asia was pretty much shut down during the migratory period in March - May, and then air traffic being reduced tremendously when most birds raise their young in June-July. Could this be one of the many proofs that the climate skeptics need to actually want to do more to stop the needless air travel, human disturbance in nature reserves etc after Covid is over?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

R number between 0.9 - 1.2 this week...

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it was at or above 1 they'd suppress the information as long as possible to avoid having to make economically costly decisions...

Germany seems to report the R number to 2 decimal places. Ours has a range of 0.3.... they certainly being economical with the facts

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Germany seems to report the R number to 2 decimal places. Ours has a range of 0.3.... they certainly being economical with the facts

Germany has an effective track and trace programme, they seem to have stood the developers down on ours

What even is the state of our track and trace?!

is there an app? Will there be an app? What happened to those thousands of people working as tracers?

Do they still contact you if you’ve been in contact with people who have it? 

Link

Protesters demonstrate against the lockdown and use of face masks in Trafalgar Square, amid the coronavirus pandemic
Anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine and anti-mask protesters crowd London’s Trafalgar Square
‘Anyone with a half a brain cell on active duty can see coronavirus is nonsense,’ David Icke tells crowd

Police urged demonstrators to disperse under social distancing laws on Saturday after several thousand anti-lockdown, anti-mask and anti-vaccine protesters gathered in London’s Trafalgar Square.

The Unite For Freedom rally saw a vast mask-free crowd carrying signs and placards including “World Hoax Organisation” and “Masks are muzzles”.

Many demanded an end to government health measures and the right to catch coronavirus – should it even exist – without state interference.

Key speakers at the event included conspiracy theorist David Icke and Piers Corbyn, the brother of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Demonstrators ranged from out-and-out Covid-19 sceptics to those who believe the illness is real but was created in a lab and others who say the illness is genuine but no worse than flu.

There were also QAnon supporters, a handful of “Free Julian Assange” boards and several claiming that NHS Test and Trace is an attempt by the government to monitor citizens.

“Nothing is more important as time is very short,” noted a flyer for the event. “The government are voting on a two year extension of their emergency Covid-19 powers in September 2020 – the first six months have been a disaster – this must not be allowed to continue.”

It came as thousands marched in Berlin against similar coronavirus restrictions in Germany.

The Metropolitan Police published an open letter advising that anyone attending a gathering of more than 30 people may be at risk of committing a criminal offence.

On 28/08/2020 at 18:32, Stevo985 said:

is there an app? Will there be an app? What happened to those thousands of people working as tracers?

Do they still contact you if you’ve been in contact with people who have it? 

steve coogan shrug GIF

• Like 3

On 28/08/2020 at 18:32, Stevo985 said:

One of our service providers was working on the development of it. Their contract got terminated. I do not know the exact reason given but the impression they got was that they just weren't going to bother with it.

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

One of our service providers was working on the development of it. Their contract got terminated. I do not know the exact reason given but the impression they got was that they just weren't going to bother with it.

Said it before about many things, but this kind of stuff would get you sacked in a real job. Singing and dancing about a solution to an issue and then just literally not delivering it. 

Pointless

• Like 1

The UK is facing up to 50,000 unnecessary deaths because Boris Johnson’s government “consciously allowed” coronavirus to spread, a former chief scientific adviser has said.

Sir David King described the official response to the pandemic as a “complete cock-up by government”, driven in part by a desire to maintain secrecy around the scientific advice it was receiving.

In an interview with Red Pepper magazine, the first part of which is published today, Professor King said he founded the Independent Sage group of scientific experts to inform the public about Covid-19 because of the “complete mess” of the official response in the first months of the outbreak.

And in the second part of the interview, due for publication on Wednesday, he claimed: “The prime minister believed in the herd immunity programme … The prime minister said, ‘We have to be prepared for losing some of our loved ones, every one of us has to be prepared.’

“So, there was that expectation. They consciously allowed the disease to spread.”

Mr Johnson appears to have taken the “incredible” decision to keep the minutes and membership of his official Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) secret in the early weeks of the outbreak because he did not want the public to know that his senior advisor, the non-scientist Dominic Cummings, was taking part in its meetings, said Professor King.

The official Sage group was dominated by civil servants, who make up 13 out of 23 members of the main group, led by current chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, he said.

Asked if the make-up of the group meant it was not a body of independent scientists, he replied: “I’m afraid I think that’s right, (although) I have enormous respect for Sir Patrick.”

Sir David said that during his time as adviser to then prime minister Tony Blair from 2000-07, “everything was in the public domain”.

“The notion of having an advisory group whose membership and minutes are not public is incredible to me,” he said, noting that the first minutes of official Sage were published while the first meeting of the Independent Sage group was taking place in May.

“The government certainly didn’t want the public to know that Cummings was a member of the committee,” said Sir David.

“You shouldn’t have an adviser to the prime minister, who is not a scientist, also there, because then you’ve got two sources of potentially conflicting advice.

“Also, there were sensitivities amongst scientists trying to give their advice independently, with all of these civil servants there. If you’re not familiar with government, it can be quite a challenge.”.

“The government want to be able to say, ‘We are following the science’,” he said. “If the public doesn’t know what the science advice is, the public has no means of knowing whether or not the government is being honest.

“But it’s going further than that. If it goes pear-shaped, it’s the scientists’ fault.”

And he warned: “Trust has been lost for several reasons. One is that the prime minister does not stick to the truth. It seems to me that he says what he thinks is convenient.”

Sir David said: “When Independent Sage was formed, we faced the complete mess that was happening from March onwards.

“I couldn’t stand back. We formed the Independent Sage because there was no mechanism for getting an understanding of the crisis and how it could be handled into the public domain.”

Since then, the independent group has been one of the most scathing and authoritative critics of the government’s handling of the pandemic.

It has repeatedly denounced the decision to outsource test and trace operations to private companies rather than entrusting them to local public health networks.

And it has called for an official “zero Covid” strategy to eliminate the disease altogether, in place of the government’s acceptance of persisting infection at low levels over the summer as the price of reopening the economy.

Link

Edited by mjmooney

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Said it before about many things, but this kind of stuff would get you sacked in a real job. Singing and dancing about a solution to an issue and then just literally not delivering it. 

Pointless

The wasting of billions of pounds of money is literally criminal. Again, in the private sector people found to have blown large amounts of their employers money have gone to jail.

Its indefensible.

In the real world, if you’re buying a product you get a sample, test it, approve it, buy lots of it. This government have sent millions of pounds of public money out only to find out after it wasn’t what they wanted. These people making the decisions need to be locked up.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1100 cases yesterday (Saturday)

1715 today (Sunday)

Numbers usually lower at the weekend than they actually are.

Schools and Universities going back, pressure on businesses to recall their staff from home working. Flu season around the corner.

Should I start stockpiling toilet roll?

Edited by Genie

I think we should view the draconian level of the fine(s) and the lack of scrutiny of and accountability for these laws as very concerning indeed.

Also, I don't think I've heard the word 'rave' said so much by news organisations/police authorities/politicians over the past couple of weeks since the early nineties.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Genie said:

1100 cases yesterday (Saturday)

1715 today (Sunday)

Numbers usually lower at the weekend than they actually are.

Schools and Universities going back, pressure on businesses to recall their staff from home working. Flu season around the corner.

Should I start stockpiling toilet roll?

Surely universities could do something online? I mean its lectures couldnt they do it in MS teams or zoom? (Although i might be mistaken you may have only a certain amount of people allowed into a room)

You could just view the lecture on a laptop.

If the universities are so keen not to have students back maybe they should refund the students a percentage of the excessive fees they charge?

49 minutes ago, snowychap said:
I think we should view the draconian level of the fine(s) and the lack of scrutiny of and accountability for these laws as very concerning indeed.

Also, I don't think I've heard the word 'rave' said so much by news organisations/police authorities/politicians over the past couple of weeks since the early nineties.

I've never heard it before in relation to The Banwen 🤣

In fact I don’t think the media interviewed one person from Banwen that wasn't transported to them from 1989 in a DeLorean

• Like 1

The thread snowychap posted is very concerning indeed.

At the height of the epidemic I could understand emergency powers. Thousands were dying daily, it was unprecedented times, and we had to respond rapidly. Emergency powers were still a little concerning, but I think well justified.

Now they're trying to get us back in to restaurants, pubs and offices. Kids go back to school with no special measures in place. But still they're enacting new laws without parliamentary oversight.

Are we in a state of emergency or not?

• Like 1

Â