Generic Virus Thread

villakram

So it turns out we CAN count care home and non hospital deaths after all. Call me a cynic but this effort appears to be after the peak. How odd it wasn't possible to do this as we were averaging just under a thousand a day. They didn't want the figure over a thousand did they? 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Do we believe them?

Doesn’t make any **** sense anyway. Why adjust all of the lines to match in that case? Why not just add them to the graph from 2000 deaths and annotate it?

It’s bollocks. 

One thing I can say about them is they do tend to change that graph once people point out problems with it so there’s a chance they’ll put it back to normal

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is this their way of keeping numbers low. I can't imagine elderly folks in care homes are getting tested on a regular basis.

Quite. 
They definitely are not.

Not only that, but there is no requirement to test for the virus after death, whether in hospital, Care a Home, or anywhere else.

• Like 1

On the care home deaths.

Has there been mass testing in care homes? If not, then i assume they’re running tests post mortem? 

If neither of these things are being done then surely it’s just finger in the air time on numbers? 

edit - Terry beat me to it above 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

So, over here, we’re told there is no value and no point in testing in care homes. Testing in Wales will remain solely for those in hospital showing classic symptoms, plus frontline care staff.

Only those confirmed testing positive and going on to die in hospital will go down as an official covid death.

We won’t necessarily test post mortem.

Well, I guess on the positive side, that’ll keep the official number of deaths down.

Remdesivir: Drug has 'clear cut' power to fight coronavirus....

The trial was run by the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and 1,063 people took part. Some patients were given the drug while others received a placebo (dummy) treatment.

Dr Anthony Fauci who runs the NIAID said: "The data shows remdesivir has a clear-cut, significant, positive effect in diminishing the time to recovery."

He said the results prove "a drug can block this virus" and were "opening the door to the fact that we now have the capability of treating" patients

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52478783

7 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Dr Anthony Fauci who runs the NIAID said: "The data shows remdesivir has a clear-cut, significant, positive effect in diminishing the time to recovery."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52478783

I did think it interesting timing that he came out with this yesterday on the same day that The Lancet published this:

Remdesivir in adults with severe COVID-19: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial

No specific antiviral drug has been proven effective for treatment of patients with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Remdesivir (GS-5734), a nucleoside analogue prodrug, has inhibitory effects on pathogenic animal and human coronaviruses, including severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro, and inhibits Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, SARS-CoV-1, and SARS-CoV-2 replication in animal models.

We did a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial at ten hospitals in Hubei, China.

Remdesivir use was not associated with a difference in time to clinical improvement (hazard ratio 1·23 [95% CI 0·87–1·75]). Although not statistically significant, patients receiving remdesivir had a numerically faster time to clinical improvement than those receiving placebo among patients with symptom duration of 10 days or less (hazard ratio 1·52 [0·95–2·43]). Adverse events were reported in 102 (66%) of 155 remdesivir recipients versus 50 (64%) of 78 placebo recipients.

Interpretation

In this study of adult patients admitted to hospital for severe COVID-19, remdesivir was not associated with statistically significant clinical benefits. However, the numerical reduction in time to clinical improvement in those treated earlier requires confirmation in larger studies.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

I did think it interesting timing that he came out with this yesterday on the same day that The Lancet published this:

Me too. I was off to bed when I posted that last night and pretty stoned, so I avoided adding any comments, but I find it a bit odd that Fauci seemed so convinced, given he’s normally so cautious. 

The thing with these trials that I am struggling with is, the varying severity of illness in those being treated, and how those studies are then being compared against each other. 

Probably not explained that very well, but some of these trials appear to be on the very seriously ill, some on patients with differing levels of severity and some on mild cases or used as preventive measures. 

As an example, those results from the Hydroxychloroquine trials that showed ‘it doesn’t work’ appear to have been on older patients, with extremely severe cases (and underlying conditions in some I’d imagine), but I haven’t seen anything from trials on younger people, with less severe symptoms? The latest is, the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons have written a letter saying in treatment of over 2000 cases, it helped 91% recover, but it’s all observational and a lot based on ‘emergency use’ outside of the trials. 

So one thing is, can these drugs save lives in the really severe cases, but potentially (and possibly more importantly in the grand scheme of things) - can they stop a mild/moderate case from becoming more serious? 

The way out of this ahead of a vaccine could be a combo. We’ll all be going out in PPE, with Nicotine patches on, covered in insect repellent and popping malaria drugs. What a time to stay alive! 😀

• Like 1

I can remember watching the news around 6 weeks ago and they were reporting from Italy around how dire things were and how frightening it all was. It was all quite scary and I can remember thinking I really hope we aren't has hard hit as they are.

We have now been harder hit. Had more deaths and yet the reporting on the news in relation to the UK isn't the same. Things are being glossed over or a blind eye turned and it isn't being presented as the same frightening scenario. I don't get it but can only think that because we have landed in this position due to political decisions and failings that they don't want to shine the light too heavily on that.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I can remember watching the news around 6 weeks ago and they were reporting from Italy around how dire things were and how frightening it all was. It was all quite scary and I can remember thinking I really hope we aren't has hard hit as they are.

We have now been harder hit. Had more deaths and yet the reporting on the news in relation to the UK isn't the same. Things are being glossed over or a blind eye turned and it isn't being presented as the same frightening scenario. I don't get it but can only think that because we have landed in this position due to political decisions and failings that they don't want to shine the light too heavily on that.

Exactly the same. 

It shows the power of the media. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Me too. I was off to bed when I posted that last night and pretty stoned, so I avoided adding any comments, but I find it a bit odd that Fauci seemed so convinced, given he’s normally so cautious.

Yes, I hope that no one 'got' to him and that it's just a genuine reaction in that he thought it ought to be made known before the results of the trial were released but to sit alongside the stuff from the Chinese trial.

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

The thing with these trials that I am struggling with is, the varying severity of illness in those being treated, and how those studies are then being compared against each other. 

Probably not explained that very well, but some of these trials appear to be on the very seriously ill, some on patients with differing levels of severity and some on mild cases or used as preventive measures.

Well, I guess that is just it - anything that has a possibility of working (or more - like anecdote of having worked in some patients) would be tested in order to see just what it does to people of various categories at various stages.

It could be that some drugs (if they show any benefit) are recommended for different categories of patients or for patients at different stages or a combination of both.

• Like 1

I actually think MH has been quite clever here. He’s got everybody all obsessed about a meaningless figure and it has distracted them from the real short comings.

Next 48 hours are going to be all about shoving that inaccurate prediction down his throat whilst he wriggles and tries to explain it away. 
What a waste of effort.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Isn't this a picture from last year?

According to the paper it's from this morning at Sickla in Stockholm. Guess they could've been had by the woman who sent it in :D 

Granted you could find pictures like that at any time as Swedes are the original social distancing people by nature.

Â