Generic Virus Thread

villakram

31 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I don't think Spain or Italy include deaths in all settings in their statistics either so it's pretty likely we don't have by far the highest death total.  I may be wrong and have just missed the stats though.

I'd expect Italy to have the highest amount of deaths in Europe in fairness given that they were pretty much the guinea pigs. Spain were also hit before us so didn't have the benefit of the foresight we did.

Germany should be seen as the bench mark we should judge ourselves against. We like to give it the bug un about how great or country is, our big our economy is so there is zero reason why we shouldn't have gone into this as well prepared as Germany were in terms of testing capabilities and number of ICU beds per capita.

I think we can all see that we are gong to be one of the hardest hit countries in terms of deaths in the world. I'd also like to think we can all agree that many of those deaths could have been avoided had we used the foresight we had and acted sooner and had we been better prepared in terms of testing capability and PPE.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As much as I think this is a good move, i just plays into Trump's anti, fake media narrative. 

Yeah, fox news and the right wing media will lap it up, but I still think its the right move. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Absolutely incredible.

Utter madness. Major tv networks saying that what the president says during this unprecedented pandemic, is not in the publics best interest. 

What will people of the future make of this time? It blows my mind the world we live in at the moment.  

• Like 2

Using France, Italy and Spain as measures for our death toll isn't particularly representative. We were hit later and didn't learn from their mistakes.

If we end up with a higher death toll then them, it's a disaster. 

• Like 1

re: the American media

They haven't said they won't report on it. Just that they won't be televising them live if I understand it correctly. 

Should have happened years ago. Who cares about press conferences. It's weird enough we clamour to watch the football man speaking live so we can be the first in on social media. That process bypasses the media. Ok, perhaps I hate the brum mail spin so I'd prefer the info from source. 

We gain nothing from the live podium updates except people already shoehorning the nice spoken chancellor man in as the next obama/blair. (In their minds)

We are the product in these things. 

• Like 1

Whilst it is nice news about Boris this morning, I hope the media and public don't allow it to distract from the fact that thousands are dead. His hospitalisation already did that, so I hope the same mistake isn't made again. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whilst it is nice news about Boris this morning, I hope the media and public don't allow it to distract from the fact that thousands are dead. His hospitalisation already did that, so I hope the same mistake isn't made again. 

Unfortunately this is just going to enforce the heroic Boris, loveable rogue narrative.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Utter madness. Major tv networks saying that what the president says during this unprecedented pandemic, is not in the publics best interest. 

What will people of the future make of this time? It blows my mind the world we live in at the moment.  

They lap it up though which is terrifying, he has a very good chance of a second term. The intellectual triangle of the population is too wide at the bottom when everybody gets 1 vote.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Good news, though it should have happened weeks ago, when it was already clear that they were poorly-disguised campaign events rather than public-health information. It's hard to avoid coming to the conclusion that the decision to stop airing them is mainly down to the suggestion over the weekend that Trump's involvement in them would be shorter, more factual and less frequent, ie they would be less interesting as televisual spectacle.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Absolutely incredible.

The things is, it shouldn't be incredible. Having the TV media there to broadcast live the president's every utterance is a new phenomenon in this administration. They have made a conscious choice to be complicit in Trump's game because he delivers the ratings. They haven't given previous presidents all this unearned free media space, and they shouldn't have done so for Trump either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Will he take couple of weeks of paternity leave now?

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is it?

It's very matter of fact for me. Man with history of fathering many children fathers another. At least he'll recognise this one.

ehhh

I guess in the context of 'on death's door' (not that I believe that) and her having it too it's a nice story.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

My little tablet thingy is struggling with that one (as is my brain with the genomic epidemiology bit!)

But some rather nice data vis stuff there if anyone is interested or any of vt's medical community want to track biometric mutations. And how they've been tracked spreading around the world. 

Perhaps one for the interesting maps thread

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

ehhh

I guess in the context of 'on death's door' (not that I believe that) and her having it too it's a nice story.

In the context of it being the only thing that he appears to be reliably good at (impregnating women) then it's pretty matter of fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â