Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I don't think Spain or Italy include deaths in all settings in their statistics either so it's pretty likely we don't have by far the highest death total.  I may be wrong and have just missed the stats though.

I don’t know if they do, but even if they don’t we’re still ahead of Italy in hospital only deaths and not far off Spain. It’s still an unacceptable position, imo, given the head start we had

Let us not forget the true victims of this pandemic.

Celebrity dermatologist’s clients are desperate for Botox during lockdown

Hollywood’s skincare guru is being inundated by clients frantic without their Botox and fillers amid the coronavirus lockdown.

Dr. Harold Lancer tells Page Six Style that he’s getting dozens of calls a day from increasingly worried clients asking for help maintaining their looks during quarantine.

And the renowned dermatologist — who looks after some of the biggest names in the biz, from Victoria Beckham to Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian West — even says he has a client who gave herself second-degree burns trying to give herself a face peel at home.

No matter how well — or how badly — Botox and fillers are applied, they only last for four months.

https://pagesix.com/2020/04/28/celebrity-dermatologists-clients-are-desperate-for-botox-during-lockdown/?_ga=2.233774110.1094401896.1588107916-2136347380.1568644025

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t know if they do, but even if they don’t we’re still ahead of Italy in hospital only deaths and not far off Spain. It’s still an unacceptable position, imo, given the head start we had

We aren't ahead of Italy though are we as far as I can tell?

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We aren't ahead of Italy though are we as far as I can tell?

We are in terms of where they were at the same stage as us. Which suggests we’ll end up with a higher death toll than them. 

Edited by Stevo985

Just in case anyone thinks they should hear what the President has to say, here are his next 60 press conferences....

”we did an incredible job on ventilators, nobody ever talks about them anymore, every other Country rings me to say what a job we’ve done on them, we are shipping them everywhere”

”if I hadn’t acted when I did we’d have millions dead”

” I take no responsibility for the deaths or cases”

”the Obama Presidency left everything in a mess”

” the tests are beautiful like you wouldn't believe. All the medics and Governors who say the tests aren’t happening are wrong”

” i can lock everyone down, but it’s not my decision. It’s their decision, but it’s up to me. Everyone should lock down, but those who don’t want to are justified, because we need to end the lockdown. But only when my guidelines are met. Or not. Anyone who we think isn’t following the guidelines we will come down hard. Unless they are Republican. “

” it’s going, and it won’t come back. “

” I created the strongest economy the world has ever seen. And I would’ve got away with it if it hadn’t been for those pesky kids/ virus”

and so on. Sickening, misleading, narcissistic, dangerous, uncoordinated, garbage.

Right. Glad I’ve got that off my chest. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I’m sad it was the best comedy show on tv 

Must agree I watched every night and it was very funny, ( but of course it wasn’t at all funny at the same time.)

Im afraid I’m an emotional old sod, and there’s a lot I get maybe too het up over, but that man, and the power he has, and the fact that I share a species with his followers, really turns my gut.

But yes, in its own macabre, dystopian way, it was funny.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Must agree I watched every night and it was very funny, ( but of course it wasn’t at all funny at the same time.)

Im afraid I’m an emotional old sod, and there’s a lot I get maybe too het up over, but that man, and the power he has, and the fact that I share a species with his followers, really turns my gut.

But yes, in its own macabre, dystopian way, it was funny.

I’m a grumpy old sod as well and I know I shouldn’t laugh but what he said yesterday about Kim jong un was hilarious 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you feel like the press have been challenging the government hard during this spike? 

To put my cards on the table, I certainly don't. 

I didn't say they had. I said they have spent all day pressing for news on getting out of lockdown and if they go early and it goes wrong they will criticise them for going too early. 

I'll keep the rest of my cards in the pack in the top draw of my my sideboard because I wasn't even involved in that conversation. 

It seems that having relaxed their lock down that Germany may have to back track as cases are apparently rising.

We have never been under a strict lock down in UK but the soft lock down we have been under it seems that if not officially that is already being relaxed.

I work as a highways maintenance engineer and for the last 3 and half weeks we had stopped almost all works on the highway aside from safety critical. From Monday (4th May) it is all systems go and we will be fully up and running.

I have also noticed whilst out and about, as part of my job, over the last week that the motorway has certainly been getting busier.

I'd imagine unless we get to under 1k new cases a day then test, track, trace is going to be very difficult but I can see lock down measures officially relaxed in a couple of weeks and I would not be surprised to see deaths in hospitals rise again in a couple of months to the levels they were 3 weeks ago. Maybe there is an acceptable level of deaths, as far as the government is concerned, as long as the NHS doesn't become overwhelmed

Edited by markavfc40

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I didn't say they had. I said they have spent all day pressing for news on getting out of lockdown and if they go early and it goes wrong they will criticise them for going too early. 

I'll keep the rest of my cards in the pack in the top draw of my my sideboard because I wasn't even involved in that conversation. 

That's my whole point though. I don't think they will criticise the government particularly, because they largely haven't thus far. I imagine most parts of the media will continue with their various mix of open cheerleading, stern finger-wagging to critics that 'now's not the time to play politics' (while their outriders doxx critical voices in the media as Labour supporters) and memory-holing of awkward or inconvenient statements from themselves or those in the government.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I can see lock down measures officially relaxed in a couple of weeks and I would not be surprised to see deaths in hospitals rise again in a couple of months to the levels they were 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they're planning to do. I was chatting to a hairdresser the other day and they said the Gov't website was saying 11 May for re-opening.= barbers and hairdressers places. Our work is talking to the Gov't about getting more staff back on site similarly.

• Like 1

So went for a test on Monday for Covid, Mrs had one being NHS and I could too being a member of the household. Strange that my Mrs test has come back positive still, even though it's been 10 days since her last test and around 2 weeks since first symptoms. Mine has come back negative even though I had mild symptoms. So did I actually have it, still have the no taste or smell, an why has my Mrs still testing Postive. She was due back at work last Thursday but blagged it and has no symptoms whatsoever??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

It seems that having relaxed their lock down that Germany may have to back track as cases are apparently rising.

We have never been under a strict lock down in UK but the soft lock down we have been under it seems that if not officially that is already being relaxed.

I work as a highways maintenance engineer and for the last 3 and half weeks we had stopped almost all works on the highway aside from safety critical. From next Monday it is all systems go and we will be fully up and running.

I have also noticed whilst out and about, as part of my job, over the last week that the motorway has certainly been getting busier.

I'd imagine unless we get to under 1k new cases a day then test, track, trace is going to be very difficult but I can see lock down measures officially relaxed in a couple of weeks and I would not be surprised to see deaths in hospitals rise again in a couple of months to the levels they were 3 weeks ago. Maybe there is an acceptable level of deaths, as far as the government is concerned, as long as the NHS doesn't become overwhelmed

I have been expecting an easing of restrictions at the end of May, followed by a slow upsurge in cases which, by maybe mid August, will force another, longer (and  tighter, but with more exceptions for business ) lockdown.

What you’ve said there makes me think the easing will be mid May, the upsurge mid June, ( because we will be proportionally less ready) and the next lockdown July.

I hope I’m wrong, but it strikes me as all being ridiculously premature. If we do it right, we may only ( ever) have to do this once. So a few weeks too much wouldn’t be a bad idea. A few weeks too few and God knows where we will end up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So went for a test on Monday for Covid, Mrs had one being NHS and I could too being a member of the household. Strange that my Mrs test has come back positive still, even though it's been 10 days since her last test and around 2 weeks since first symptoms. Mine has come back negative even though I had mild symptoms. So did I actually have it, still have the no taste or smell, an why has my Mrs still testing Postive. She was due back at work last Thursday but blagged it and has no symptoms whatsoever??

I’m glad to hear you are both ok at present. And for me, your story here just illustrates how little we still know. 

Which is why any action to reopen the Country in the absence of comprehensive testing and tracing is fraught with immense danger.

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m glad to hear you are both ok at present. And for me, your story here just illustrates how little we still know. 

Which is why any action to reopen the Country in the absence of comprehensive testing and tracing is fraught with immense danger.

Too true, contact with 111, they have no idea why she still has it, only reason could be she has contracted it again, even though we have been isolating. Now they say we have to isolate for another 14 days then get another test. Weird this, though the fact that I'm sure I have had it, is a little relief.

Â