Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I reckon they’ll be **** rammed!

Maybe initially, but I think a lot of people will feel uncomfortable being packed in like the old days.

These type of places don’t really work unless full, it’s horrible in a club that’s half empty so I think people will not bother (and go to a regular pub).
Time will tell! 

Edited by Genie

I'm really peeved by this notion that our wonderful government have overseen the best vaccine rollout in the world.

Any Americans and Canadians I know are fully vaxxed as are my German friends in a nation that was notoriously slow out of the blocks.  Now it's looking like my friend in Japan where it looked like foreigners could be waiting forever, looks like he's getting his second jab before me too.

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I'm really peeved by this notion that our wonderful government have overseen the best vaccine rollout in the world.

Any Americans and Canadians I know are fully vaxxed as are my German friends in a nation that was notoriously slow out of the blocks.  Now it's looking like my friend in Japan where it looked like foreigners could be waiting forever, looks like he's getting his second jab before me too.

How long since your first? Places near me doing walk ins for 6 weeks since first jab.

Also, the booking app lets you check for other appointments before you cancel your current one so you can see if you can book one earlier.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Maybe initially, but I think a lot of people will feel uncomfortable being packed in like the old days.

These type of places don’t really work unless full, it’s horrible in a club that’s half empty so I think people will not bother (and go to a regular pub).
Time will tell! 

We had this conversation in work about ten minutes ago and came to exactly that conclusion

I'm already seeing plenty of evidence that even younger people aren't going into the city centre at weekends, plenty are but lots of them are going to house parties and even going from house party to house party rather than going into the city centre to drink. I think people of all ages have become used to that personal space and will feel uncomfortable in larger crowds all the time. They will bear it for a gig for example but not a regular going to a nightclub for a night out every weekend.

• Like 2

There was a story on the radio news this morning that the new aircraft carrier HMS Old Rich Biddy has had an outbreak of the covids and over 100 have currently tested positive. Every single crew member is double jabbed

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

How long since your first? Places near me doing walk ins for 6 weeks since first jab.

Also, the booking app lets you check for other appointments before you cancel your current one so you can see if you can book one earlier.

5th June.  I got a summoning text from my GP practice rather than booking in one of the big vaccination centres.

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

We had this conversation in work about ten minutes ago and came to exactly that conclusion

I'm already seeing plenty of evidence that even younger people aren't going into the city centre at weekends, plenty are but lots of them are going to house parties and even going from house party to house party rather than going into the city centre to drink. I think people of all ages have become used to that personal space and will feel uncomfortable in larger crowds all the time. They will bear it for a gig for example but not a regular going to a nightclub for a night out every weekend.

I've been weighing this up since getting an email that I'm eligible to buy a season ticket. The idea of forcing my way through a packed Holte End concourse just isn't appealing to me at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

There was a story on the radio news this morning that the new aircraft carrier HMS Old Rich Biddy has had an outbreak of the covids and over 100 have currently tested positive. Every single crew member is double jabbed

The vaccine doesn't stop people testing positive.

How many of those are seriously ill? Any needing to go to hospital? Any deaths? That's the real news.

Otherwise the story is: "100 men living in close quarters all catch infectious disease" which, frankly, isn't news.

• Like 3

Have I got this correct,   UK opens up on 19th (Monday) so most restrictions are removed for Covid.

I want to fly to Birmingham with my Mrs.

The UK won't accept anyone (To go in / out) the country unless you had your vaccines delivered in the UK ? 

I don't understand,  2 jabs in NL,  Germany or UK are all of the same value or are they not ? 

Also,  The Netherlands are rewinding the easing of restrictions for no apparent reason.  They now choose to report infections,  Hospitals was the big thing before but now no one is (Hardly) dying or in ICU even with the 5000% increase in infections.

Lets not forget NL only has 17,000,000 people,  12 M have had a vaccines or 2.  Everyone above 40 is totally done as far as I know,  I dunno,  what's the **** point at the moment.  I am properly fed up with it now to be fair.  This is the 1st day I am actually getting fed up becasue of all this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How many of those are seriously ill? Any needing to go to hospital? Any deaths? That's the real news.

Agreed,  It's sending me mental.

Why the don't they report every infection for flu,  stomach bugs and chicken pox and anything else like that now,  live on the strip at the bottom of the screen. Newsflash:  "Man gets flu in Cornwall",  "Boy gets sore throat in Dudley". 

They are peddling 200-300 people to die of Covid a day in August / September.  Liars.  Remove the people who refused a vaccine for a start as they are both expendable and a total statistical nightmare.  It is at the point where they can probably name the 200 people for day 1,  there are not that many people left to kill.  Who or how does the virus get to and kill 200 people per day.  Lets say the virus has a checklist,  double jabs are a no go,  under 14's are a no go.  where does the virus go to achieve the 200 ?

If someone catches something and then he goes home with no symptoms,  few days later he carries on and life goes on and doesn't need a doctor or hospital,  it's like a Karl Pilkington story.  100 people a day die of flu in a bad year.

Rant over.  Fed up.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I don’t agree with that.  The reason young people aren’t (yet) going into the city centre is because;

- a lot of places are closing early.  No point catching a cab in when the place will close by 11.

- you have to sit at a table to get your drinks. Defeats half the fun of going out into the city.  Might as well just go round mates house in that case.

Once you can stand and mingle and places are open till 2-3am, then everyone will be back in the city.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

That’s just anecdotal.  

If you look at the percentage of population with first jabs and second jabs,  the UK is well ahead of the USA, Canada, Germany, France and Japan.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I wonder what percentage of those have been jabbed, double jabbed or not at all 🤔

Anecdotal but Warwick hospital last week had 5 people in hospital with severe symptoms of confirmed Covid - 4 with no vaccination, 1 person with 1 jab and 0 people with 2 jab.

Id expect it to be similar in other hospitals around the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Have I got this correct,   UK opens up on 19th (Monday) so most restrictions are removed for Covid.

I want to fly to Birmingham with my Mrs.

The UK won't accept anyone (To go in / out) the country unless you had your vaccines delivered in the UK ? 

I don't understand,  2 jabs in NL,  Germany or UK are all of the same value or are they not ? 

Yep this is a bastard and I was pissed off when I heard about it last week. The word we have straight from Grant Schapp's mouth is that they will start accepting EU vaccine certificates in "a few weeks", although it is as yet unclear if that only meant UK citizens/residents (the latter would be a pretty niche group) who have been jabbed abroad in Europe and not everybody.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I don’t agree with that.  The reason young people aren’t (yet) going into the city centre is because;

- a lot of places are closing early.  No point catching a cab in when the place will close by 11.

- you have to sit at a table to get your drinks. Defeats half the fun of going out into the city.  Might as well just go round mates house in that case.

Once you can stand and mingle and places are open till 2-3am, then everyone will be back in the city.

A lot of places in Liverpool have decided  in the last week or two to modify their hours downwards because of lack of trade. The closing early here is because no one is there to justify them opening later

There are plenty of tables free in pubs and clubs, I really don't see that walking to the bar and waiting to be served at the bar is what people are missing. Sure there's the chance conversation with a random that people may miss but again I also think that only applies to a percentage of people not all. Sure they'll also want to be dancing, some of them

Many places in Liverpool are open until 6am at weekends, it's been that way for many years, these places as I said are pushing their hours back because of a lack of business (Opening later, shutting some days, closing earlier)

Last Saturday for example, I was working for 7 hours from 7pm. I didn't get a single job into the city centre, not one. That is almost unprecedented. I did however pick up lots of people, many of them young, going to and from house parties. I also notice that many of the younger ones are the ones religiously wearing masks, whereas the tendency among older people is not to (I found this to be against my expectations)

You also have a group of people who have been of legal drinking age (or could pass for getting in normally) for up to 16 months who may never have experienced the crush at the bar etc. 

Bar prices have definitely gone up, they will not be coming down any time soon, that again will impact the industry

Add into that the furlough bubble will be ending in September and LOTS of people will suddenly find themselves unemployed

Life for the night time entertainment and hospitality industry will not be the same, regardless of opening up fully again

The world is different and will soon be different again, it will not go back to how it was, not for a long time. The Entertainment Industry will suffer heavily as a result

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

A lot of places in Liverpool have decided  in the last week or two to modify their hours downwards because of lack of trade. The closing early here is because no one is there to justify them opening later

There are plenty of tables free in pubs and clubs, I really don't see that walking to the bar and waiting to be served at the bar is what people are missing. Sure there's the chance conversation with a random that people may miss but again I also think that only applies to a percentage of people not all. Sure they'll also want to be dancing, some of them

Many places in Liverpool are open until 6am at weekends, it's been that way for many years, these places as I said are pushing their hours back because of a lack of business (Opening later, shutting some days, closing earlier)

Last Saturday for example, I was working for 7 hours from 7pm. I didn't get a single job into the city centre, not one. That is almost unprecedented. I did however pick up lots of people, many of them young, going to and from house parties. I also notice that many of the younger ones are the ones religiously wearing masks, whereas the tendency among older people is not to (I found this to be against my expectations)

Perhaps they're going to house parties because they can mingle and dance there? I'm sure that basically nobody likes the idea of getting into a bar queue that's 3 deep before or after Covid, but on the other hand just sitting with the people you came with at a pub table and being served there at the table then going home is not exactly going to the pub is it? That sounds like going to a mate's house and sitting a table, except for taking your own beers out of the fridge.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Perhaps they're going to house parties because they can mingle and dance there? I'm sure that basically nobody likes the idea of getting into a bar queue that's 3 deep before or after Covid, but on the other hand just sitting with the people you came with at a pub table and being served there at the table then going home is not exactly going to the pub is it? That sounds like going to a mate's house and sitting a table, except for taking your own beers out of the fridge.

I see very little dancing and to be perfectly honest, not even that much drinking, people of all ages on the whole are noticeably more sober even coming from house parties

Also if you think people in pubs aren't walking around and talking to other people in pubs, you are very much wrong. RIght now I'm in and out of pubs all the time (about to go out now as it happens) delivering advertising materials (beer mats usually) and the regulars are all chatting to each other across different tables. This idea that people aren't socially mixing in the current pub environment is false imo

Â