Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What does remaining vigilant mean? The policy, we’ve repeatedly been told, is the lifting of all restrictions, freedom day. The PM and the Health Minister have both said the changes will be irreversible. Why would you remain vigilant on the impact of an irreversible freedom day?

Nobody is going to read page 9 of the actual scientific advice. They are just hearing freedom day, yes, no, yes, no, harrumph, great british public, harrumph.

Unless the consensus of scientific advice was ‘freedom day’, they aren’t taking the right advice.

Encouraging people to take personal responsibility and responsibility of their loved ones because everyone has different levels of risk. I’m saying removing legal restrictions now is the right move, everything else is a complete **** up as is expected from this government.

What would you do?

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Encouraging people to take personal responsibility and responsibility of their loved ones because everyone has different levels of risk. I’m saying removing legal restrictions now is the right move, everything else is a complete **** up as is expected from this government.

What would you do?

I’d make it clear that there will be an announcement date, and no suggestions will be field tested in advance by having various Ministers floating ideas and seeing how people respond.

The date of the next update will be ‘x’. Nothing before that date will be policy or a policy idea.

There will not be a random date selected where people will be promised in advance all restrictions are removed.

As with smoking, I would have a staged approach, where you can have more and more personal freedom where it does not impact others. 

There would be no promise of a day zero shit or bust strategy, but a gradual, or rapid, removal of more and more restrictions as and when appropriate. With the caution that if the figures throw something up, we might have to take a step backwards.

There would be a steady consistent approach. With industries and transport systems given some advance indications before I go on the news and riff off the top of my head for likes.

That’s what I’d do. 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d make it clear that there will be an announcement date, and no suggestions will be field tested in advance by having various Ministers floating ideas and seeing how people respond.

The date of the next update will be ‘x’. Nothing before that date will be policy or a policy idea.

There will not be a random date selected where people will be promised in advance all restrictions are removed.

As with smoking, I would have a staged approach, where you can have more and more personal freedom where it does not impact others. 

There would be no promise of a day zero shit or bust strategy, but a gradual, or rapid, removal of more and more restrictions as and when appropriate. With the caution that if the figures throw something up, we might have to take a step backwards.

There would be a steady consistent approach. With industries and transport systems given some advance indications before I go on the news and riff off the top of my head for likes.

That’s what I’d do. 

I completely agree, except that the time for that is now. So as I said, it’s not the what that’s the problem, it’s the how.

IMHO COVID 19 will be with us forever now and the only way to reduce the risk is to get vascinated.The way I see it is that COVID will be like cancer the common cold or polio etc.In other words,its here to stay.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

50 deaths today. Things are starting to look bleak again 😭

I suspect that 50 on a Tuesday reflects an admin catch up for Sunday. / Monday.

I don’t have figures to hand, but proportionally, it would be interesting to see if that 50 is spread equally across the 4 different nations with their 4 different sets of policies. On a single day, I wouldn’t read too much in to it. But over a week or three it could be interesting.

Crudely, England has 85% of the population, does it have significantly more or less than 85% of the deaths over the last few weeks. So in round numbers 38 or 39 of those 50 should be english, 7 or 8 of them scottish, 2 or 3 welsh and 1 or 2 norn iron. 

I might have a look around that later if I’m really bored. 

On 12/07/2021 at 17:46, Genie said:

Just caught a clip on the TV of the press conference.

Peak in August to be 1000-2000 hospitalisations a day, 100-200 deaths.

Just saw on the news that best case it’s 1,000 hospital admissions a day, worst case 4,000. 

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Vaccinated deaths or..................

We either just lift lockdown fully now or it'll hardly ever get lifted fully ever. As we say, it's something we gonna have to learn to live with.

An it's alright moaning how shite the government have been with dealing with it, but is there ever gonna be a inquest as to where it came from in the first place??

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We either just lift lockdown fully now or it'll hardly ever get lifted fully ever.

So if we lift lockdown today, then thats ok but if it's tomorrow then it'll go on forever?

PS Lockdown ended months ago, there is very little you can't do now. Go to gigs, go to pubs and order at the bar and some foreign travel. Thats about it. Given the later is in the hands of two seperate governments wherever you go then that's not even in the control of this country. What are you thinking should actually end that isn't, which aspect of your life is currently impacted so severely you need the restriction to stop?

We really need to be hearing about hospitalisations, deaths and of the deaths and hospitalisations, the vaccination % 

Do we continue to restrict even when every adult (and under 18 within reason) have been offered a jab?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

So if we lift lockdown today, then thats ok but if it's tomorrow then it'll go on forever?

PS Lockdown ended months ago, there is very little you can't do now. Go to gigs, go to pubs and order at the bar and some foreign travel. Thats about it. Given the later is in the hands of two seperate governments wherever you go then that's not even in the control of this country. What are you thinking should actually end that isn't, which aspect of your life is currently impacted so severely you need the restriction to stop?

Masks, track and trace in some shops, restaurants still, booking for a drink at the pubs, social distancing, shall I go on. We may not be in lockdown, but we are far from unrestricted.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Masks, track and trace in some shops, restaurants still, booking for a drink at the pubs, social distancing, shall I go on. We may not be in lockdown, but we are far from unrestricted.

I'm just left wondering if you actually read the question or decided to ignore it and post some stuff that isn't severely impacting your life anyway?

You can go to a pub (you dont have to book, they just have to have a table), you can go to a restaurant (You don't have to book either, they are mainly empty and you had to book before the pandemic), you apparently want to get within a meter of total strangers and that leaves us with masks....

So again, what can't you do that is severely impacting oin your life?

Sorry there was track and trace aswell. Not once since last March have I signed in to any location for T&T purposes. The whole thing is incompetent

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We really need to be hearing about hospitalisations, deaths and of the deaths and hospitalisations, the vaccination % 

Do we continue to restrict even when every adult (and under 18 within reason) have been offered a jab?

You may know this, but all the hospitalisation data and deaths data is available on the guvmint website (link to website, not an article).

in terms of percentage of hozzy/ death victims with and without the jab, that’s not on there as far as I can see. But we have, obviously , data on the efficacy of the vaccine against both serious illness and death which suggests the figures will be skewed heavily towards unvaccinated people being the current main victims of serious illness or going all dead, like.

There are 20 million in the uk unvaccinated, mainly younger people <40 and kids, obviously. That 20 million is still a big old pool of potential victims for the virus, plus the people for whom the vaccine sadly won’t save them, maybe 5% - 10% of the 46 million who’ve had at least 1 jab, so another 2 - 5 million people.

it looks like given the current vaccination levels and state of play, COVID in the uk is (for the moment) around 3 times worse than a flu epidemic ( this will change). Some mandatory restrictions seem wise to me for the moment, sort of similar to the ones they are about to get rid of. Some easing off seems sensible, but not all of them, but that boat has sailed.

3 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I wonder what percentage of those have been jabbed, double jabbed or not at all 🤔

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If we’ve basically got no restrictions anyway, then what’s the conversation about? The change on the 19th shouldn’t make a difference.

If not now, when?

I know the government are saying no restrictions again but that’s clearly bullshit if things start to go awry.

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

If we’ve basically got no restrictions anyway, then what’s the conversation about? The change on the 19th shouldn’t make a difference.

If not now, when?

I know the government are saying no restrictions again but that’s clearly bullshit if things start to go awry.

“Freedom Day” was always bullshit.

What seems to have changed is your mask is now your choice. Oh and nightclubs etc can open

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a feeling nightclub owners are going to be complaining in a few weeks time that not enough people are going and they are going bust.

I reckon they’ll be **** rammed!

• Like 1

Â