Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Surprised the whole country isn't immune now as we keep seeing massive amounts of cases, surely some people must be getting it twice by now.

I don’t think many (of any) people will be completely immune.

Some fully vaccinated people are ending up in hospital. With extremely high infection rates more of them will end up in hospital despite being double jabbed.

This latest “freedom day” cancelling of legal restrictions despite what is happening has all the hallmarks of a Boris brainwave. The sensible and educated people around him are telling the nation to brace for impact.

My money is on a return of restrictions in September.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think many (of any) people will be completely immune.

Some fully vaccinated people are ending up in hospital. With extremely high infection rates more of them will end up in hospital despite being double jabbed.

This latest “freedom day” cancelling of legal restrictions despite what is happening has all the hallmarks of a Boris brainwave. The sensible and educated people around him are telling the nation to brace for impact.

My money is on a return of restrictions in September.

I think this is correct he virtually said that himself in the press conference the other day. It's difficult to imagine how he could have handled any decision worse through the whole thing. Got almost every single step wrong.

Presumably he will just get more popular somehow though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, to a degree. Whitty has said (in the previous posts) that hospitalisations and deaths are also doubling. 

Could we see 300-400k daily infections? If we do then I think the deaths and hospitalisations might be at concerning levels. 
Theres 2,000 people in hospital with Covid currently. 

Patients in hospital 3,786

Patients on ventilation 545

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think this is correct he virtually said that himself in the press conference the other day. It's difficult to imagine how he could have handled any decision worse through the whole thing. Got almost every single step wrong.

Presumably he will just get more popular somehow though. 

It is you're right, he's got almost every single step wrong.

But personally I think his popularity is going to drop off a cliff and that come the winter he'll be waayy down, though no doubt he'll try to conjure up some sort of fabricated horseshit battle with someone he can portray as "an enemy trying to do Britain down" to try and convince people he's not an utter weapon and unfit to be in government.

The coverage of Whitty's comments is pretty damning, this is the most I can recall him essentially speaking out against the government's decision, even if he's choosing his words carefully.

I know who I trust more. 

• Like 2

1000 new cases of COVID this month in North Carolina, the most in a few months.  I just hope our Governor doesn't jump quickly as it were and put back the restrictions that were in place not that long ago. Hopefully the cases do not go back to what they were, we shall see.

Edited by Big Salad

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

300k-400k daily infections?

Come on :D

It would mean that 2% of the population would be being infected every single day. :D 

Do you think there are only 20 million people in England?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

300k = 1% of 30 million.

x 2 60 million.

Unless I forgot basic maths :D 

Yeah, sorry to highlight it, but it's a maths fail. If you're doubling the total population but keeping the infection total constant, the percentage halves, it doesn't double. Otherwise if our population was 90,000,000, 300k would become 3%!

300-400k infection rate in England (54m) is between 0.55-0.75% of the population, still very high, but not 2%.

In my defence, I barely slept and had to get up at 6 to drive 200km to work. I've also had my head in a book looking at statistics all day :D

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

300-400k infection rate in England (54m) is between 0.55-0.75% of the population, still very high, but not 2%.

Yeah the point still stands really. We simply won't ever be in a situation where 0.5-%0.7% of the population are getting infected every day.

Even 100k a day is far-fetched.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

In my defence, I barely slept and had to get up at 6 to drive 200km to work. I've also had my head in a book looking at statistics all day :D

Yeah the point still stands really. We simply won't ever be in a situation where 0.5-%0.7% of the population are getting infected every day.

I’m with you, it seems very, very unlikely. It could happen, but it almost certainly won’t. it’s 50/50.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

Track and Trace. There was a period, only a few weeks back, where the numbers were really bottoming out and I was getting contacted by T&T for either driver or passenger details almost daily, either by National Teams as usual or I also started to be contacted by Local council run teams too, for the first time ever.

Now the figures are rocketing? ... nada, zilch, zip, sod all from them

They actually seemed to be getting to a point of usefulness and contacting us within a couple of days of contact (instead of the usual 9.5 - 12 days later)

I'm assuming their lack of contact in recent weeks is because they are overwhelmed with T&T App pings and can't cope with anything else

I heard a story on the radio before that 10% of those in the meat packing industry are currently in self-isolation and meat shortages may occur

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We had 100k daily infections last year, with the old Nerf variant. 

A couple of weeks ago Oxford central was recording 2,000 cases per 100,000 population (2% of the population a day averaged over 7 days). Tamworth has been above 1,000 per 100,000 many times.

Now from this incredibly high baseline we’re REMOVING restrictions so it WILL go up to “scary numbers” as Whitty says.

It looks quite possible to me to have 300,000 in a day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I had my second jab this afternoon, I'm working tonight and that's meant to be when any side effects kick in so that should be interesting.  I'm just glad it's done.  The doctor seemed worried about the relaxing of the rules on Monday so I think I'll listen to her and keep wearing my mask.

Well I got through my shift but after driving home I could barely get from the car to my bed.  Just felt absolutely ****.  A bit of sleep has helped but the gardeners at our flats starting mowing the lawn at the worst possible time and woke me up, the bastards.

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I imagine we will reach 100k a day in roughly 3 to 4 weeks 

• Like 1

Â