Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Personally I’d like to be in a position where everyone has at least received the offer of at least one jab, preferably both. Whether they’ve taken it is up to them.

As it stands we’re going back to normal without a sizeable proportion of the population having been offered a jab.

I’d like to see everyone afforded that chance before we open up fully. I don’t see what’s particularly unfair about that.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Personally I’d like to be in a position where everyone has at least received the offer of at least one jab, preferably both. Whether they’ve taken it is up to them.

As it stands we’re going back to normal without a sizeable proportion of the population having been offered a jab.

I’d like to see everyone afforded that chance before we open up fully. I don’t see what’s particularly unfair about that.

Every adult has been offered a jab at this point though.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everyone to be offered a jab.

There is going to be a decision soon about whether the vaccination will be offered to secondary school age children - which is by no means a formality, they may well decide against it - and it's not going to be offered to younger children. The virus just doesn't affect young children seriously enough for it to be considered.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everyone to be offered a jab.

Where does it end? We don't open up ever because babies are constantly born? What's the cut off? If we say 5 years old, then hundreds of kids turn 5 everyday.  

Edited by StefanAVFC

Sounds like they're dropping the quarantine requirements between Germany and the UK 

2nd jab 23rd* should be able to come home early August

*they're mixing them up here now, my 2nd one won't be AZ it'll be a different flavour 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like they're dropping the quarantine requirements between Germany and the UK 

2nd jab 23rd* should be able to come home early August

*they're mixing them up here now, my 2nd one won't be AZ it'll be a different flavour 

Yep heard the same for poland. Am so stressed about my wedding in September. 

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There is going to be a decision soon about whether the vaccination will be offered to secondary school age children - which is by no means a formality, they may well decide against it - and it's not going to be offered to younger children. The virus just doesn't affect young children seriously enough for it to be considered.

Well I hope that’s the case. I see these numbers of children reportedly having long covid and it’s disconcerting. I guess I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed.

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Where does it end? We don't open up ever because babies are constantly born? What's the cut off? If we say 5 years old, then hundreds of kids turn 5 everyday.  

Yes, there would have to be a cut off point which doesn’t make it straightforward. I think we should be aiming closer to the start of the school age. So around 4.

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well I hope that’s the case. I see these numbers of children reportedly having long covid and it’s disconcerting. I guess I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Yes, there would have to be a cut off point which doesn’t make it straightforward. I think we should be aiming closer to the start of the school age. So around 4.

There's just no chance that vaccinations are going to be offered to 4 year olds. It isn't going to happen.

And while I really don't want to seem dismissive of people's concerns or experiences, it is pretty important to say that there is as yet no agreed definition of 'long covid' and so there can be no specific number of people suffering from it. It's definitely true that viral infections can be horrible; there are a number of viral infections that can take both adults and children longer periods of time to recover from. Clearly some people take a long time to fully recover from covid, but there's also a danger that currently-undefined 'long covid' is operating in part as a bucket for both the public and medical professionals to dump cases into, when either 'post viral fatigue' or some other explanation might be more appropriate.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FB_IMG_1625560905008.jpg

Because asking the public to use their common sense worked so well last time…

For a few weeks and possibly months I think infections are going to go through the roof. It’ll be interesting what the consequences of that are.

Less people in hospital and dead than before, but still an awful lot I expect. Plus half the country will be isolating at home or recovering.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's just no chance that vaccinations are going to be offered to 4 year olds. It isn't going to happen.

And while I really don't want to seem dismissive of people's concerns or experiences, it is pretty important to say that there is as yet no agreed definition of 'long covid' and so there can be no specific number of people suffering from it. It's definitely true that viral infections can be horrible; there are a number of viral infections that can take both adults and children longer periods of time to recover from. Clearly some people take a long time to fully recover from covid, but there's also a danger that currently-undefined 'long covid' is operating in part as a bucket for both the public and medical professionals to dump cases into, when either 'post viral fatigue' or some other explanation might be more appropriate.

Long Covid is a very interesting thing, because, well, it's not quantifiable or empirically verifiable.

If in 2019 you had a tough cold/flu and spent a week at home in bed, you would likely feel like shit for another 2/3 weeks. Your muscles would ache, your excercise routine would go out of the window, you would likely feel depressed because you didn't enjoy the sun with your mates.  It's normal after any ilness.

Heck, if I told anyone in 2019 to sit at home and that thousands are dying, you are likely to be depressed and get little sleep, thus feeling rough.

So what is Long Covid, and how can it be brought into the discussion? 

I have a mate who had the virus in May last year, and for 6 months he said he can't run, he gets tired and isn't in best shape. He also eats several bars of chocolate a day, 3 beers a night, and sits in front of a computer working 60 hours a week, often in late evenings.

And he has a go at me for questioning his "long covid". 

I'm sure many people do experience Long Covid - but it's a very slippery discussion to be having.

• Like 3

I think there's good reason to believe that cases are dropping off. The cases seem to have risen to about 27,000 a day and stalled there. We know that even 1 dose gives some protection against infection and we have 86% of adult population with 1 dose, 64% with 2 doses.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of infections are children, unvaccinated groups in BAME communities or the few people who refuse the vaccine. I think/hope that cases will start dropping soon because I just don't see where the people to infect are coming from.

Deaths due to COVID and not just incidental positive tests at end of life are probably non-existent and hospitalisations are slightly increasing but that's probably admitting people who wouldn't have previously been admitted who were told to stay at home unless they were on the verge of unconscious. 

2 weeks left of kids passing it around and then cases should properly fall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m a bit nervous about my week away at the end of the month now. The virus is going to be absolutely rampant everywhere by then.

I'm rearranging my weekend away at the end of the month as doubtless places will be rammed and people will be acting like things are completely back to normal, I'm not being one of the guinea pigs in this experiment

Â