Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, Genie said:

A lot of people have ditched masks already.

We went bowling yesterday, 4 adults on the other side of the lane “exempt” from masks it seems. Looking up and down the other lanes I’d say only about 50% wearing masks (despite the regular announcement reminders).

Same in shops, percentage wearing masks is falling and falling.

The children’s school have always insisted on parents wearing masks when coming on-site to collect. Now all the parents stand maskless in a tight group around the gate. 

The thing about masks is that the evidence - as I understand the situation - has never been strong for their effectiveness, especially the paper and cloth ones that 99% of people are using. Countries mostly started mandating them because they don't do any *harm* and the costs of compliance are really low, so it doesn't matter if they aren't particularly effective.

What are genuinely effective are those N95 medical respirator type masks, but - although it has been possible to order them through Amazon for a while now - the government haven't mandated them and so no-one has really upgraded from the ineffective ones. I don't know whether that's because of cost, fears of availability/supply, apathy or inertia, or maybe some combination of those, but we haven't done it.

It's doubtful that it matters that much anyway. The majority of transmission happens at home, when nobody is wearing a mask in any case.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The main advantage of wearing a mask is to show people know you didn't vote for Brexit.

You joke, but I'm quite glad that we've avoided the worst of the terrible American Culture War About Masks that has happened over the last year or so, in which Republicans performatively refuse to wear them in situations when they might help, and Democrats performatively insist on wearing them in situations when they clearly won't help at all.

Fortunately, the British thing of grudgingly doing what you're told and then moaning about it happened instead.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re in a shared office space.

My office is a long, narrow island surrounded by corridor on all four sides. Due to Covid policies the landlord has installed a perfectly reasonable one way system, even swapping out some carpet tiles for directional arrow tiles. We also wear masks in communal corridors. All very commendable.

However, this means that on nipping out to the WC, I then have a choice of walking around 98% of the circumference of the office, or walking 3 metres the wrong way up the one way corridor. Obviously, being an adult I can see that popping back against the direction arrows for what is literally 4 paces is unlikely to lead to anyone’s untimely death.

Today, nipping back in to the office the wrong way up the one way, a woman from another office spotted me and frankly went absolutely nuts about it. About how I was breaking covid rules, about how ‘it isn’t over’ and how she can’t believe people even now in July 2021 still don’t understand the rules.

I mean technically, she’s right, she’s caught me. But equally, **** off darling, you chatting shit stood in the corridor is a much greater risk. But I knew she was right, struggled for a quick retort, as i was already back in my own office. So I, er, laughed. I’m not proud, but yeah I just laughed and walked away.

This did not help the situation and 20 minutes later we had a building wide email from the landlord about observing covid protocols for our own safety and the safety and health of others.

I am a bad man. 

There's a place like that in my local town shopping centre.

Go in, and walk 200m around the marked path, or walk 3m through the library door.

I started off going with the 200m, now I use the 3m route.

Walking past people doesn't kill them, or spread anything, spitting feathers about breaking rules though? 

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re in a shared office space.

My office is a long, narrow island surrounded by corridor on all four sides. Due to Covid policies the landlord has installed a perfectly reasonable one way system, even swapping out some carpet tiles for directional arrow tiles. We also wear masks in communal corridors. All very commendable.

However, this means that on nipping out to the WC, I then have a choice of walking around 98% of the circumference of the office, or walking 3 metres the wrong way up the one way corridor. Obviously, being an adult I can see that popping back against the direction arrows for what is literally 4 paces is unlikely to lead to anyone’s untimely death.

Today, nipping back in to the office the wrong way up the one way, a woman from another office spotted me and frankly went absolutely nuts about it. About how I was breaking covid rules, about how ‘it isn’t over’ and how she can’t believe people even now in July 2021 still don’t understand the rules.

I mean technically, she’s right, she’s caught me. But equally, **** off darling, you chatting shit stood in the corridor is a much greater risk. But I knew she was right, struggled for a quick retort, as i was already back in my own office. So I, er, laughed. I’m not proud, but yeah I just laughed and walked away.

This did not help the situation and 20 minutes later we had a building wide email from the landlord about observing covid protocols for our own safety and the safety and health of others.

I am a bad man. 

Embarrassed Shame GIF

• Like 3

My daughter has perked up a lot , so probably isn’t Covid and just a 24 hour bug. She’s been tested so we’ll see. I’d feel comfortable going to work tomorrow, but the lad I work with he had two days off isolating whilst waiting for his kids tests to come back, so I feel I need to return the gesture. He didn’t want to possibly put me at risk, which is fair enough. I’d look a clearing in the woods if I went in tomorrow and potentially putting him and his household at risk . A day off work it is then.

• Like 3

My daughter probably has it (and her BF), just has aches and pains right now and is awaiting test results. She's 24 so will in all likelihood be OK and she had her first jab about 2 weeks ago so that will help a small amount but its still a bit of a worry especially as she's in London

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I hope your daughter feels better Ruge. Not good having a poorly littlun, my boy was rough for about two weeks and only just seems better. Hacking cough which would last a good 2-3 minutes. So I get the anxiety.

Have to say, though. I'm impressed the paramedics got there so quickly, coming from the States.

I chuckled but 911 works in the UK too 😉

I believe Johnson is about to abandon all the covid rules at his presser today. I also just looked at the UK interactive covid map thingy. the vast majority of the country is either blue or purple, is he insane?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

My daughter probably has it (and her BF), just has aches and pains right now and is awaiting test results. She's 24 so will in all likelihood be OK and she had her first jab about 2 weeks ago so that will help a small amount but its still a bit of a worry especially as she's in London

Hope both are feeling better soon, matey.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Fingers crossed. It’s horrible when you’re kids are not well. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I believe Johnson is about to abandon all the covid rules at his presser today. I also just looked at the UK interactive covid map thingy. the vast majority of the country is either blue or purple, is he insane?

I hope your daughter and her BF get well soon.  As for Boris, well, probably.  Matt Hancock was the lockdown hawk it seems and now they're going full pelt to reach herd immunity (which they deny).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trekka said:

now they're going full pelt to reach herd immunity

Herd immunity is the only way out of this, it's how you get there and as you say this appears to be full on F*** it, let it rip

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I’m struggling with the thinking that’s going on.

Younger people seem to be catching covid. More than they did this time last year? I don’t know. It seems like they are.

Younger people are the ones who have not yet been vaccinated, first jab or both.

The six weeks holidays are on the horizon.

The remaining restrictions are being lifted, more or less coinciding with the school holidays.

Is there a positive variable here that negates this concern that I’m just missing?

One thing is for sure, I don't trust this government, and as the general population starts to take this less seriously, I'll be doing the opposite until I see what effect things have.

I won't be isolating, but I damn sure won't be packing myself in to rammed pubs and shops again until it becomes very clear we're not seeing serious infections and deaths climbing again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m struggling with the thinking that’s going on.

Younger people seem to be catching covid. More than they did this time last year? I don’t know. It seems like they are.

Younger people are the ones who have not yet been vaccinated, first jab or both.

The six weeks holidays are on the horizon.

The remaining restrictions are being lifted, more or less coinciding with the school holidays.

Is there a positive variable here that negates this concern that I’m just missing?

It sounds like they're taking the 'it's better now than doing it in colder months' approach.  Kids won't be mixing in classrooms either so they should cut transmission a fair bit I'd have thought.  On balance I'm for the relaxation now it seems the vaccine has been effective against the Delta variant in terms of hospitalisations, whereas 4 weeks ago it was too early to tell.

Â