Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Local authorities are really swimming against the tide at this stage.

Like in Tamworth, lots of media about record numbers of infections, being cautious, keeping space, wearing a mask, washing hands, getting tested, getting vaccinated etc

Then Boris comes along and suggests everything is good enough to move fully out of restrictions. 

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Local authorities are really swimming against the tide at this stage.

Like in Tamworth, lots of media about record numbers of infections, being cautious, keeping space, wearing a mask, washing hands, getting tested, getting vaccinated etc

Then Boris comes along and suggests everything is good enough to move fully out of restrictions. 

It has to happen at some point and this is probably the best time. Every adult has been offered the vaccine and it’s summer so people have better immune systems.

Those unwilling to take a vaccine will just have to get their immunity through exposure. 

• Like 3

This thread is like the Tammy Abraham thread. 

Some think it's ludicrous to open up and the Government are irresponsible and those who feel the Government are out to destroy peoples liberties and we should have opened up before and certainly now at any cost. 

• Like 1

Yes let’s continue to unlock and open, but against the current back drop where some areas are seeing 2,000 infections per 100,000 residents in a week I’d stagger it a bit until things came under control.

Infections will go up and up and up from this point. Many will be partially and fully vaccinated people. This approach is a bit like lobbing some petrol on a fire. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The health secretary saying we could reach 100k new infections a day over summer. That’s crazy. 

No idea how that's even possible. There aren't people to infect.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The health secretary saying we could reach 100k new infections a day over summer. That’s crazy. 

Johnson, mid-August:

"Given our original expectations, these new infection rates of 75,000 per day are extremely positive and we are very happy with how opening up has gone"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well I read the other day to expect 50k a day very soon. If restrictions are fully dropped then surely 100k a day isn’t out of the question ?  It’s pretty crazy numbers I’ll admit.

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I could be wrong, but aren’t the basic figures that the population is 67 Million and to date less than 5 million have been infected?

That would suggest in my simple world, there are still people left that could be infected.

Or is there evidence that now I’ve had 2 jabs I can return to the office via the tube and I can’t be infected?

Edited by chrisp65

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I could be wrong, but aren’t the basic figures that the population is 67 Million and to date less than 5 million have been infected?

That would suggest in my simple world, there are still people left that could be infected.

Or there evidence that now I’ve had 2 jabs I can return to the office via the tube and I can’t be infected?

Going on the stats provided by darren on the previous page. 

And it's not that you can't get infected if you're vaccinated, but it makes it harder for it to spread. Much in the same way if it's too lethal, it can't spread as it kills too quickly.

I can't see 100k cases a day, with our level of vaccination. Simply not possible IMO.

We opened fully up here and our rates are steady.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well I read the other day to expect 50k a day very soon. If restrictions are fully dropped then surely 100k a day isn’t out of the question ?  It’s pretty crazy numbers I’ll admit.

It’s doubling at around every 10 or so days so 50,000 daily infections is probably less than 2 weeks away. 
Then we hit the new restrictions easing so it will accelerate things and 100,000 will follow quite soon after, especially as the baseline of infections in the community already being very high.

Well have new challenges, hospitals probably won’t get overrun but there will be millions at home isolating or feeling ill.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I think there's good reason to believe that cases are dropping off. The cases seem to have risen to about 27,000 a day and stalled there. We know that even 1 dose gives some protection against infection and we have 86% of adult population with 1 dose, 64% with 2 doses.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of infections are children, unvaccinated groups in BAME communities or the few people who refuse the vaccine. I think/hope that cases will start dropping soon because I just don't see in a country of 67 million, where the people to infect are coming from.

Deaths due to COVID and not just incidental positive tests at end of life are probably non-existent and hospitalisations are slightly increasing but that's probably admitting people who wouldn't have previously been admitted who were told to stay at home unless they were on the verge of unconscious. 

2 weeks left of kids passing it around and then cases should properly fall.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Going on the stats provided by darren on the previous page. 

If that is the post you are referring to, I don’t class that as statistics, and I mean absolutely no offence to Darren, it’s a reasonable set of guesses.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

We opened fully up here and our rates are steady.

I’ve seen this statement several times from several nations, then it gets in and goes around like wild fire.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve seen this statement several times from several nations, then it gets in and goes around like wild fire.

Yes, in a world without vaccines.

I’d be a lot more confident if more of the population had had both doses, as of now it’s about half isn’t it? I don’t mind more stuff being lifted but dropping it all wholesale plus more relaxed international travel is all just screaming new stronger vaccine resistant variants to me. As has been shown time and time again, putting the onus on the ‘trustworthy British public’ is laughable. There is no respect for each other anymore and brexity gammon types will literally go out of their way to annoy ‘The closed eyes sheeple’, those who are still worried about restriction guidelines. Recipe for disaster all this. 

Got a horrible feeling that come the end of the year we will be back to square one again. All for the sake of scoring political points by targeting an arbitrary date. Is it not worth waiting a few more weeks to ensure the link between cases/deaths is definitely cut? Wait until the kids have started getting jabbed as well? 

Fingers crossed it all goes better than I think it will. God I wished I lived in the alternative timeline where the Tories didn’t get back in a decade ago. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There's only 25 million to infect, so no worries, eh?

Â