Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

They were administering both the AZ and Pfizer vaccines at Sutton Town hall when I was jabbed about 6 weeks back.

Yeah I'm booked there actually next Friday, what did you have, you can't choose I guess?

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah I'm booked there actually next Friday, what did you have, you can't choose I guess?

I was given AZ. I never questioned it. I've been fine with it. No reaction to it at all. 

This was before the advice that under 40s can choose, so you might have the option? 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was given AZ. I never questioned it. I've been fine with it. No reaction to it at all. 

This was before the advice that under 40s can choose, so you might have the option? 

I'm not even sure it's that under 40s can choose, isn't it just that AZ isn't available to under 40s?

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not even sure it's that under 40s can choose, isn't it just that AZ isn't available to under 40s?

No, it's that they get an option. 

I had my jab Thursday. I'm 35 wasnt given a choice, I was told im under 40 so im having Pfizer. 

While doing my 15 minute wait a few turned up over 40 and were told they where having oxford 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm 35 and got the jab at the same place @Xela did and I didn't get a choice.

The text I got said I was getting Pfizer and I never questioned it. They were set up to do AZ at the town hall still but there didn't appear to be anybody there getting that one when I was there

• Like 1

I stand corrected then, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes. 

Looks like Pfizer for you crazy kids. 

The exact wording of the announcement was that they would be offered an alternative. It sounds like in reality they've just stopped even offering AZ to that age group then. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah I had the same experience in Nottingham. Straight in to the Pfizer queue, with the remaining old folk on the other side, no choice in the matter.

oi!

• Haha 1

Travel correspondent on BBC tempering my expectations that Poland might be green listed because they are apparently (!) looking more at islands rather than countries like this one which now has better numbers over 2 weeks than famous island nation Portugal.

34 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Travel correspondent on BBC tempering my expectations that Poland might be green listed because they are apparently (!) looking more at islands rather than countries like this one which now has better numbers over 2 weeks than famous island nation Portugal.

Could give either the laughing or crying emoji to this one. I think there's a not-very-subtle thing happening where Portugal (and subsequently Mallorca, Tenerife etc) are Good and Important because British people need their holidays, but Poland and other Eastern European countries are Not Good because we don't want to encourage family and 'regular' travel. It's absolute bollocks though, and if there is some theory about 'islands' being less susceptible to covid that would be silly IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could give either the laughing or crying emoji to this one. I think there's a not-very-subtle thing happening where Portugal (and subsequently Mallorca, Tenerife etc) are Good and Important because British people need their holidays, but Poland and other Eastern European countries are Not Good because we don't want to encourage family and 'regular' travel. It's absolute bollocks though, and if there is some theory about 'islands' being less susceptible to covid that would be silly IMO.

I guess the reasoning, if indeed there is any, is that people flying to and from island are much more likely to stay in that place, whereas one might fly to a mainland green list country in order to actually travel to a neighbouring amber country (presumably this would still officially require following amber rules, but would anyone actually know / check?).

But yes, it's total bollocks, especially considering that the flagship green list country Portugal is not an island.

I'll try not to get too worked up until the review has been made, I'm just not going to get too optimistic "just" by looking at infection and vaccination numbers compared to Portugal either.

And having said all of that, the report was focusing on key holiday destinations, the mainland Europe vs island discussion only mentioned France and Spain (as other popular UK holiday destinations) as places that are unlikely to be green listed, though I don't know what their numbers are like.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I guess the reasoning, if indeed there is any, is that people flying to and from island are much more likely to stay in that place, whereas one might fly to a mainland green list country in order to actually travel to a neighbouring amber country (presumably this would still officially require following amber rules, but would anyone actually know / check?).

Yes, good point, that might be the reasoning.

I was busy assuming it was the IMO very unrealistic zero-covid-style argument that because the UK is an island it 'should' have been possible to prevent widespread seeding of the virus in early 2020 (usually accompanied by some very tendentious and inaccurate comparisons to New Zealand) that was influencing this preference for islands, but I think your interpretation is more charitable and maybe more accurate.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The biggest nonsense is all of this is the government assertion that travel = holiday and that's it.

It's insulting frankly.

I wonder where Boris will open up so he can go for his honeymoon.

Â