Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Biden wants an investigation into whether Covid may have leaked out of the Wuhan Virology lab. That one that was doing gain of function experiments on bat coronaviruses. 

Sounds like a Trumpian conspiracy theory to me, but y’know, stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Awol said:

Biden wants an investigation into whether Covid may have leaked out of the Wuhan Virology lab. That one that was doing gain of function experiments on bat coronaviruses. 

Sounds like a Trumpian conspiracy theory to me, but y’know, stranger things have happened.

I don't expect we're ever going to know where this came from or how. The Chinese don't want anyone poking around in their business. If it was from a lab then the evidence (including the human evidence) is likely long gone by now. If it jumped at a wet market (the most likely scenario imo) then we may find that out in time but I find it unlikely the Chinese are going to actually do anything about it.

Even so, pandemics have happened throughout history and will definitely happen again regardless of the lessons we learn about where it came from. The best lessons we can learn are at home about our on handling of the situation, the political decisions to put trade, greed and popularity above making hard choices that would have saved peoples lives. I suspect our government to be every bit as dishonest and disruptive to that investigation as the Chinese have been to the WHO.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't expect we're ever going to know where this came from or how. The Chinese don't want anyone poking around in their business. If it was from a lab then the evidence (including the human evidence) is likely long gone by now. If it jumped at a wet market (the most likely scenario imo) then we may find that out in time but I find it unlikely the Chinese are going to actually do anything about it.

Even so, pandemics have happened throughout history and will definitely happen again regardless of the lessons we learn about where it came from. The best lessons we can learn are at home about our on handling of the situation, the political decisions to put trade, greed and popularity above making hard choices that would have saved peoples lives. I suspect our government to be every bit as dishonest and disruptive to that investigation as the Chinese have been to the WHO.

Well the one thing we do know is that a future Government can't witter on about no handbook and no precident. 

Need to do better next time. 

15 minutes ago, trekka said:

Hmm, cases are creeping up again.  4182 now compared with 3542 yesterday.  

It's because the R number is obviously higher than 1 and has been for a couple of weeks, together with the Indian variant bring slightly less impacted by the vaccines.

The hope is the creep up can be curbed long enough to prevent any change in the post lockdown plans.

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's because the R number is obviously higher than 1 and has been for a couple of weeks, together with the Indian variant bring slightly less impacted by the vaccines.

The hope is the creep up can be curbed long enough to prevent any change in the post lockdown plans.

The R number obviously differs by region (Gov website).  It isn't just about curbing it - we need to get both doses into people and then for those doses to take effect.  Nothing less will only see an explosion in cases come full opening and sadly hospitalisation. 

Just now, MellbergsBeard said:

Had my first COVID jab today. Moderna, supposed to be going out for a drink tonight, only 1 or 2 beers. Do you think I will be ok?

I reckon. Had my first at lunch time. Didn’t hit me till middle of the night. 

Vaccines are at the moment something like 95-98% effective at preventing hospitalisations - so I think it won't matter a great deal if it starts spreading about - so long as folks have had both jabs. This may mean a delay of a couple of months to that 21st June deadline though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Had my first COVID jab today. Moderna, supposed to be going out for a drink tonight, only 1 or 2 beers. Do you think I will be ok?

Didn't have any side effects for the first 24 hours after my first Moderna jab, apart from a slightly sore left arm. The second jab, likewise. Enjoy your beer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trekka said:

Hmm, cases are creeping up again.  4182 now compared with 3542 yesterday.  

It’s a slight concern but it’s never been about cases in isolation. It’s never really been about deaths either. If people were just dying instantly at home I don’t think we’d have had lockdowns and social distancing.

Its this relationship between cases and hospitalisations and the hospitals getting overrun. The relationship has now shifted a lot.

The government need to lay out what’s happening to hospitals, and how it compares to last year for a similar amount of infections.

They surely factored in some growth in cases when setting their start up dates.  Hopefully the growth we are seeing is nevertheless below their modelling. 

Numbers in hospital and on ventilators reduced today. 

New cases in themselves aren't the real so long as it's not literally going through the roof. 

Everyday more injections go in and more days pass from already administered injections growing immunity. 

The introduction of the clean air zone in Birmingham means that I’ll either have to change my second jab booking away from Millennium point or pay £8 to go in, and then out of the city a few minutes later.

Its a bit shit. I wonder if it will affect some uptake?

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

The introduction of the clean air zone in Birmingham means that I’ll either have to change my second jab booking away from Millennium point or pay £8 to go in, and then out of the city a few minutes later.

Its a bit shit. I wonder if it will affect some uptake?

You must we absolutely weeks away from the second jab, just change your appointment

Just now, bickster said:

You must we absolutely weeks away from the second jab, just change your appointment

Yeah, I have plenty of time. Just a bit annoying.

I think there was a push to get it’s introduction delayed until after they’d worked through the bulk of the vaccinations but it was thrown out.

With a bit of luck I’ll get one locally, but they all seem to only be doing AZ at the moment.

Â