Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Interesting response from my kids, I’ve just sent them the four stages images that @theboyangel posted earlier in this thread. 

18yr old lad - “yesss! I might be able to go to a nightclub in summer! Exciting!”

21 yr old daughter - “seems like a far fetched attempt at keeping the public happy to me”. 

I wonder where she gets her cynicism from? And I wonder where he gets his lust for getting wrecked in nightclubs from 😂

• Haha 4

Just now, Genie said:

I’m 42 miles from the office. About 45 minutes in the morning, 60-80 in the afternoon. 
I certainly won’t be doing that 5 days a week again.

I'm only a few miles from my office so on a good run, if I leave home after about 9:10 and hitting the lights at the right time, I can do mine in 12 minutes. If I need to be there at 9, it's wise to leave home at 8.

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm only a few miles from my office so on a good run, if I leave home after about 9:10 and hitting the lights at the right time, I can do mine in 12 minutes. If I need to be there at 9, it's wise to leave home at 8.

I’d get there at 7 to beat the traffic, alarm at 5:35am. Brutal.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I'm looking for too, seemingly nothing on international travel

But then due to the strain variance I think a lot of it depends on other countries trying to keep people from the UK out... 

Yes, us lot going to Benidorm is going to depend more on what Spain think than us.  But as our vaccination programme is well ahead of most other countries I would think our cases will be lower than most by then. 

I'm really hoping that these opening dates will be routine.  The news today about vaccine efficiency is truly fantastic, hopefully as each date comes round our infections will be a long way below their targets.  A big proportion will have had second jabs by then too, the 18m odd so far are booking second jabs in May. 

The key is not letting the South African and Brazil strains expand or any other mutations appear. 

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ve been told we won’t be going back to working in the office every day like before. I expect something like 2/3 in 2/3 out.

They're making you work an extra day?

Those b*****ds!

Edited by V01
swear

My company are going to agile working and I will happily work from home a lot more. 

Only thing is, as I've posted on here before I think the  year of working from home has worked well and companies love the savings (we're due to move offices imminently and already been told it will be smaller).   But I still don't think it will work as well long term:

New people won't feel attached to the company or their colleagues. 

Existing colleagues will become more detached and drift. 

Training issues won't be uncovered as easily - most of the time I can spot a wrong un from overhearing their telephone conversations. 

Company culture will deteriorate. 

How many times you have stood up in the office and asked for help/advice from those around? Got an immediate response. 

I operate in a marketplace in central Birmingham. You meet people in the street, you bump into people in pubs and sandwich shops - so much informal networking that would be massively reduced. 

How many conversations have you had over a sandwich in the kitchen or whilst making a coffee where your learned something or an opportunity has arisen purely by chance or an off the cuff comment?

When you join a new company and the main interaction is the same computer screen on your same table, how you going to really buy into that company and stay with them through thick or thin, your job will be more like a price comparison site I think, which will not help the company. 

I could go on and on. 

I know there are some work around on some of these but it won't be the same. There will just be a chipping away of productivity I believe. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Whats are peoples thoughts. I like a lot of people have been WFH since March 18th. Is this likely to end on June 21st? I know mileage might cary but what is the gut feeling?

I hope we'll be mainly WFH. Maybe 1 or 2 days a month in the office. I can't go back to being in there 3 days a week. Packed trains, cramped office space and 2 hours a day commuting. No thanks. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d get their at 7 to beat the traffic, alarm at 5:35am. Brutal.

Used to be my drive into our old office in Edgbaston. Leave home at 7 and you'd be there in 30 mins. Leave at 8 and it could take 2 hours if the traffic was especially bad!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There will just be a chipping away of productivity I believe. 

Oh no, workers will get back several hours per week but might not buy in to the culture of a company? What a tragedy for business owners.

Anyway...

• Confused 1

Specific to going out etc... I hope come June the restaurants and pubs still maintain some of the changes they’ve implemented to some degree, I’d still be cautious mingling with people at the bar or having to sit on a table right next to someone else ie; close quarters tables etc... if tables remain spaced out and it’s table ordering only I’ll be happy to go out again. It would be a bit weird and a bit reckless IMO to just go balls out all in on everything again so soon. 

OH’s lad back to school, we both have our second jab end of March, haircut, see my mom and dad again then eventually go round for a cuppa/Sunday lunch and trade in shed loads of stuff cex. Short break to the coast. That will do me for this year I think. 

For me personally, Autumn/Christmas 2021 and 2022 is the time I start going mad again. I’ll let everyone else guinea pig the craziness stuff. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d get there at 7 to beat the traffic, alarm at 5:35am. Brutal.

I'm not enjoying working at home particularly, but I'm dreading this. Gonna have to leave Stourbridge not long after 7 to guarantee I'm ready to start a class in Edgbaston at 9. I guess I probably won't be doing it until September anyway.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh no, workers will get back several hours per week but might not buy in to the culture of a company? What a tragedy for business owners.

Anyway...

What, don't think it's a good thing for companies to be efficient? 

Yay, let's all go the way of British Leyland. 

I'm not suggesting people should be worked harder and paid less, I'm just suggesting that companies that go hard at home working will see things slipping over time. 

Inefficient companies go bust, nobody has a job and there are no taxes paid to make the country work.  It's a bad thing to have inefficient companies. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

13 months without a haircut for me. I didn't bother when they reopened in the summer. 

I quite like my flowing locks now :D 

Exactly the same situation here.  Last cut New Year’s Eve 2019

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Short break to the coast. That will do me for this year I think. 

Same for me. I fancy the Isle of Wight. Used to go there as a kid but haven't been back in 30+ years. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What, don't think it's a good thing for companies to be efficient? 

Yay, let's all go the way of British Leyland. 

I'm not suggesting people should be worked harder and paid less, I'm just suggesting that companies that go hard at home working will see things slipping over time. 

Inefficient companies go bust, nobody has a job and there are no taxes paid to make the country work.  It's a bad thing to have inefficient companies. 

Compare the productivity of modern Britain to the 70s or 80s. Then compare the average wage and the working hours. Then compare the amount of billionaires.

I think workers should put their work-life balance before the profitiability and producitivity of companies. We make the sacrifices, they make the money. **** them, if they want me commuting when it's demonstrable I can work just as well from home, they'll be paying me at least 30% extra for the privilige.

I couldn't give a **** about their culture.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Â