Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Omicron is finally in community in NZ. A person that had done 7 days in quarantine had 3 days more of self isolation but decided to go shopping, bar hopping and night clubbing before 9th day test. People are selfish morons

That’s not what happened. He did the full ten days of isolation and was negative on test after test during that time (3 in total) he also had no symptoms. He went out on day 11 once his quarantine had finished, but on day 12 he got the delayed results of a 4th test he took back on day 9. That test came back positive.

It doesn’t seem like calling him a ‘selfish moron’ is appropriate here. 

29 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That’s not what happened. He did the full ten days of isolation and was negative on test after test during that time (3 in total) he also had no symptoms. He went out on day 11 once his quarantine had finished, but on day 12 he got the delayed results of a 4th test he took back on day 9. That test came back positive.

It doesn’t seem like calling him a ‘selfish moron’ is appropriate here. 

Yes. The media reported different yesterday. 

EDIT: Watching Covid response Minister press conference now. He didn't wait for result of 9th day test. That's irresponsible regardless if result was delayed. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, bickster said:

You want loony? I'll give you loony. Not only is this whole application to the ICC totally loony, check out the name of one of the signatories (image 2, bottom tweet)

Imagine if they were right.

Just imagine what kind of people would be left to inherit the earth and make up society once the rest of us have succumbed to the vaccine genocide 😅

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes. The media reported different yesterday. 

EDIT: Watching Covid response Minister press conference now. He didn't wait for result of 9th day test. That's irresponsible regardless if result was delayed. 

Everyone in the UK is allowed to leave on day 11 without any testing as it’s assumed you’re not infectious by then, so it’s not really that irresponsible.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Everyone in the UK is allowed to leave on day 11 without any testing as it’s assumed you’re not infectious by then, so it’s not really that irresponsible.

He's not in the UK and we didn't have Omicron in the community

56 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Someone else must also be responsible for just letting him go if they knew he had omicron and keeping it contained is such a big deal.

He was self isolating. He let himself go before 9 day test results

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Looking at hospital admissions Sweden is doing well compared with Denmark and Norway. Possibly a lot more acquired immunity in Sweden than the more locked down neighbouring countries?

Yes this wave it look a little better but we already "lost" in comparison with number of deaths. And now the testing. I know people and see on social media that people can't get tested. Not good.

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Yes this wave it look a little better but we already "lost" in comparison with number of deaths. And now the testing. I know people and see on social media that people can't get tested. Not good.

That’s a problem that is not unique to Sweden though. Omicron is too infectious and quickly overwhelms capacity of testing clinics.

In Australia they are asking people to stop trying to get tested unless absolutely necessary because the system can’t cope. 

8 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

What ever happened to the AZ vaccine? 

I don’t understand why that isn’t being also being used as a booster. Have there been studies to show it’s ineffective as such?

I genuinely have no idea why the UK Government just seemed to sideline an effective vaccine!😐

According to JCVI (at least from what I've read), the AZ vaccine isn't an mRNA type unlike Pfizer and Moderna. 

9 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

What ever happened to the AZ vaccine? 

I don’t understand why that isn’t being also being used as a booster. Have there been studies to show it’s ineffective as such?

I genuinely have no idea why the UK Government just seemed to sideline an effective vaccine!😐

It does nothing to stop infection against Omicron. The mRNA ones on the other hand give a decent dose of protection against infection for a short period. 

AZ gives a decent long term protection against serious illness though and a mixture of vaccines is supposed to be even better at getting your body ready for different variants so it makes sense to use Pfizer or Moderna for boosters. 

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A mixture of vaccines is supposed to be even better at getting your body ready for different variants so it makes sense to use Pfizer or Moderna for boosters. 

If that were important, why would lots of people have had three of the same one?

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If that were important, why would lots of people have had three of the same one?

Well you’re not going to give out AZ in this wave because it’s useless for stopping the transmission but I had read that if you had AZ first and mRNA second you were at a bit of an advantage over those who had mRNA for all three. I’ll see if I can find where I read it, I think it was one of the Australian papers. 

Edit: Here’s a link discussing it:

Multiple studies have shown that mixing and matching COVID-19 jabs isn't just safe - it can be more effective than having the same vaccine for each dose.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/what-are-the-benefits-of-mixing-and-matching-covid-19-booster-vaccines

Edited by LondonLax

I wonder how the vaccine programme will be looked at in years to come?

Before the rollout it was hailed as the ticket out of the pandemic, everyone gets a jab and we all go back to normal. But it never really happened that way, even before Omicron.

We were still contained by the virus. Omicron made it worse. The exit from the pandemic isn’t going to be a vaccine I don’t think. It’s going to have to blow itself out, maybe Omicron is that mutation. 

• Confused 1

The vaccine made it much, much better than it would have been. It was the ticket away from permanent lockdown or wide(er) scale death

The exit from the pandemic, if all we have is the vaccine, is the vaccine. Until, as you say, something like Omircon might be comes along. It’s literally worked exactly as intended.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

The exit from the pandemic isn’t going to be a vaccine I don’t think. It’s going to have to blow itself out, maybe Omicron is that mutation. 

Sure, vaccines won’t wipe covid from the face of the earth, but they’ll be needed for years to come. The virus will continue to mutate, because that’s what coronaviruses all do. It’s not going to blow itself out, with Omricon, there’s way too many people unprotected across the world for that to happen. I reckon we’re years away from zero constraints and restrictions, but we’ll get used to them as part of daily life.

• Like 1

Â