Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Are they words removed because they’re not social distancing, or for celebrating the defeat of fascism and the ending of the largest conflict in human history? 

They’re words removed because they’re breaching the lockdown, because (from their ages, looking at them) they had no involvement in defeating fascism , because (and this is projecting I acknowledge) they’re channeling the bravery and courage of those who did into their personal disregard for the safety of their fellow citizens. words removed, the lot of them,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blandy said:

They’re words removed because they’re breaching the lockdown, because (from their ages, looking at them) they had no involvement in defeating fascism , because (and this is projecting I acknowledge) they’re channeling the bravery and courage of those who did into their personal disregard for the safety of their fellow citizens. words removed, the lot of them,

I wasn’t personally involved in the resurrection but still crack a chocolate egg at Easter. “You weren’t there, man” seems a pretty weak reason for chastising a historical commemoration. 

Agree it’s stupid to break social distancing, but as someone else has noted, all week the media (that Cruella De Vil looking tramp off Sky in particular) have been pushing the line that it’s all gonna be relaxed this weekend anyway.  Subliminal sh*t stirring to manufacture a story. 

That’s a fair reason to get cross, but once you start throwing Brexit in it’s hard to believe that’s what your real beef is. It’s “them”, those people, those “words removed” again, f****** things up. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

UK to bring in 14 day air passenger quarantine by the end of May, bloody good show  :detect:

Except it’s ‘tell us where you’re self isolating’ - ‘oh sure it’s no 1 London street, englandshire. Tataa!’

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Except it’s ‘tell us where you’re self isolating’ - ‘oh sure it’s no 1 London street, englandshire. Tataa!’

They’d probably have to pinky promise not to go out too.

• Haha 3

Guest av1

Tesco have a in-store half price sale on clothes and homeware. Not great timing. 

Link

Tesco has launched a 50 percent of sale, which will apply to all F&F items. This includes clothing, footwear, nightwear, lingerie and all concessions.

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’ve chastised no one for celebrating it being 75 years since war 2 ended. A war that both started and ended before they were born.
The people, the English people in particular, who promote some kind of weird exceptionalism that means the rules don’t apply to them, responsibilities don’t apply to them, that patriotism overrides public safety, while at the same time demanding immigrants adopt our ways or go home - adopt our ways like flagrant disregard for the law and other people? They can **** off. I’ll never understand them, I’ll never like them. Tolerate them, yes while they abide by the law, it’s a free country, but what they were doing yesterday just reinforces the evidence of their being words removed. Virus Brexit words removed.

100% agree, Pete. What was happening yesterday (mostly) had nothing to do with what actually happened in 1945, but was far more redolent of the "Two world wars and one world cup, doo-dah" level of ignorance. When I politely pointed out on a local FB group that "we" (even our grandparents) didn't actually "win the war", and it might be worth giving a little bit of credit to the Red Army, it didn't go down well at all. Then again, I'm not a patriot, so what can anybody expect? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Awol said:

Racist little Englanders, innit?

That’s why the well known British nationalist Emmanuel Macron was out celebrating it in Paris. It’s why the Russians will be celebrating (hard) tomorrow.... because it’s really all about white, middle class Brexit voters. 

The correlation between Anglophobia and EUphilia is uncanny - and Brexit Derangement Syndrome is a thing.  

Also yesterday was a bank holiday in Berlin for the first time since reunification to celebrate the liberation from Nazism, though they scrapped their plans for a street party in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I’ve chastised no one for celebrating it being 75 years since war 2 ended. A war that both started and ended before they were born.
The people, the English people in particular, who promote some kind of weird exceptionalism that means the rules don’t apply to them, responsibilities don’t apply to them, that patriotism overrides public safety, while at the same time demanding immigrants adopt our ways or go home - adopt our ways like flagrant disregard for the law and other people? They can **** off. I’ll never understand them, I’ll never like them. Tolerate them, yes while they abide by the law, it’s a free country, but what they were doing yesterday just reinforces the evidence of their being words removed. Virus Brexit words removed.

There is a celebration of war, it's part of the problem we have in this country. People have been fed war films which are nothing like the reality of war. Great Great Britain, bunting and cakes, tea, and spiffing chaps wining the war. Winning, millions dead across the world, but we won the war all on our own. Brilliant white English men.

The history pages, films, books and TV.peogrammes have thought us this. And again, look at England football supporters, look at those who have a passion for war. Side by side.

We are the greatest country on Earth. Nothing can stop our empire from reforming and taking over the world. We should take back control of everything we had before. We are the greatest and we can do everything alone.

*Except we didn't do things alone during the war. The cost of war was greater than any success. 

But we won. And we won the world cup in 1966 too.

Now, I'm off for a tea and to doff my cap at how wonderful I am.

• Like 4

Well, one of the two young doctors who live next door to us tested positive for coronavirus. The good news is that she only had it very mildly (no worse than a cold, she says), for about three days, and is now fully recovered and back at work tomorrow. 

Â