Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, this is a pretty well-known facet of Johnson's leadership style. It certainly characterises a lot of his time as Mayor of London.

He's a fairweather politician. He wants his happy face on front pages, he wants to go and cut ribbons and wedge himself in any situation that'll have people cheering.

Actually governing though? Reading stuff, and making informed decisions? Ooph, that's awfully tedious. 

The man is a **** joke, he literally hides, over and over again. 

• Like 4

(sorry for the serious comment on the very funny video . . .)

Florida is quite interesting isn't it. Go back to spring break, and most people (including me!) were criticising irresponsible spring breakers for partying there as outbreaks grew across the rest of the country (and they were very irresponsible!). And Florida should really have been a complete disaster: it's the fifth-oldest state by median age, and is absolutely stuffed with old people's homes and retirement/lifestyle communities. The governor is a dumbshit mini-Trump who refused to impose any real lockdown order until April 1st, 12 days after California, Illionois and New York, and was busy using the opportunity to declare the WWE an 'essential business'. Yet Florida largely seems a 'dog that didn't bark'; while there has been a slight uptick in the rolling average new cases number since the end of April, average daily deaths have remained roughly stable since mid-April at under 50 per day, and there hasn't been a single day with more than 100 fatalities.

It could just be a case of blind luck. Maybe it’s mostly been the younger Miami crowd getting it and the older people have been in a different part of the state? It could also be something to do with the weather meaning more people spend time in the outdoors rather than inside? Who knows?

The virus isn’t going away any time soon though so they could still have problems, even if it’s not until next winter. 

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It could just be a case of blind luck. Maybe it’s mostly been the younger Miami crowd getting it and the older people have been in a different part of the state? It could also be something to do with the weather meaning more people spend time in the outdoors rather than inside? Who knows?

The virus isn’t going away any time soon though so they could still have problems, even if it’s not until next winter. 

Yeah, it could be luck, it could be weather, it could be a low proportion of multi-occupancy homes and high rates of car ownership. It could also be that municipal leadership was better than statewide leadership (some counties had issued stay-at-home orders before the governor did). And, as you say, it could all unravel yet.

It's a good example of the reality that there's a huge amount left to learn about the transmission of this virus though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Random fact, but you are allowed to kill grey squirrels as long as it’s done in a humane way

Indeed. An even lesser known fact is that it’s ok for grey squirrels to kill humans as long as it’s done in a squirrely way 🙂

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Indeed. An even lesser known fact is that it’s ok for grey squirrels to kill humans as long as it’s done in a squirrely way 🙂

Go straight for the nuts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, it could be luck, it could be weather, it could be a low proportion of multi-occupancy homes and high rates of car ownership. It could also be that municipal leadership was better than statewide leadership (some counties had issued stay-at-home orders before the governor did). And, as you say, it could all unravel yet.

It's a good example of the reality that there's a huge amount left to learn about the transmission of this virus though.

I think climate must be a factor, Florida with its elderly population and huge theme parks should have been awful.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think climate must be a factor, Florida with its elderly population and huge theme parks should have been awful.

I think climate is underexplored as a factor, and could well be part of the story as you say. But then we also have to consider Turkey, Spain, Peru, Ecuador, the Amazon regions of Brazil . . .

• Like 1

In addition to these two announcements, there may be something about reopening libraries and recycling centres:

1. Exercise more than once a day has been allowed in England all along, the law differed to the Welsh Law

2. Our recycling centres opened on Monday this week, in both Sefton and liverpool

3. Not sure why garden centres were shut in the first place, B and Q could open

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is it Garden Centres? And why do I find it so funny?!

QUICK we need the garden centres open or the country will collapse!!

Probably something to do with farming and getting that industry going otherwise it’ll all go out of sync with what should be coming out of the ground and what should be going in over the next few seasons. Purely a guess though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is it Garden Centres? And why do I find it so funny?!

QUICK we need the garden centres open or the country will collapse!!

Tories and older voting demographics.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is it Garden Centres?

It's an important time of year for Garden Centres and their suppliers if they want to stay afloat (and for the Gov to resist calls to bail them out) and not have to bin a large percentage of their inventory (if they haven't already done so).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

I know it's me harping on a theme, but they're also largely outside, and generally quite big indoors with room to queue at a distance. Obviously the optics of it is kinda lame, but it might not be completely without reason.

Just been for my exercise walk. VE day Brexit throbbers having **** street parties. Bastards everywhere. Set up on the pavement, tables and chairs, bunting and booze, playing old music. Words removed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Just been for my exercise walk. VE day Brexit throbbers having **** street parties. Bastards everywhere. Set up on the pavement, tables and chairs, bunting and booze, playing old music. Words removed.

Seen lots of pictures in Facebook. People sat awkwardly at the end of their drives looking across at the people over the road doing the same. 

32 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's an important time of year for Garden Centres and their suppliers if they want to stay afloat (and for the Gov to resist calls to bail them out) and not have to bin a large percentage of their inventory (if they haven't already done so).

Cheers. I do get that but there are shit loads of businesses that are seasonal and need to be opened ASAP so I still find it amusing. 

It’s probably just me 

Just now, Genie said:

Seen lots of pictures in Facebook. People sat awkwardly at the end of their drives looking across at the people over the road doing the same. 

These clearings in the woods are outside their homes, partying in the street. Loads of 'em.

Just now, blandy said:

These clearings in the woods are outside their homes, partying in the street. Loads of 'em.

Its OK we know the only good Tory is a d... (sorry Tony)

• Haha 1

Â