Pre Match

TheAuthority

14 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bust up with the coaching staff from numerous sources .

Luiz involved? 

What does he need to do to keep starting, next best player to Grealish when on form. Needs games, lots of them. Drinkingwater again, he better perform.

I tell you one thing of Smith, he certainly likes a but of pressure doesn't he!!!!

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Definitely Luiz over Drinkwater for me but otherwise there’s not much more he can do. I get a feeling that Deano would be happy with a draw today. Dean is obviously nailing his colours to the Drinkwater mast! Hope it works for him because it will be bedlam if it doesn’t!

He's kind of made himself look like a bit of a tit though with the " Kodjia wasn't fit enough " statement. Drinkwater looks like he's running through treacle. He should of just came out and said he didn't rate kodjia instead of throwing him under the bus with that crap.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, add the Engels debacle (or whatever it is), to all the other weirdness, ie: selection wackiness, formation wackiness, playing Drinkwater in alll games when not at all fit - does he have something in his contract guaranteeing a start?!!?

im really drifting towards the fence with Deano.

Maybe Engels was a total dick and is being punished for it?

Selection not that wacky though is it? I'd have probably put Luiz in but it's not that weird? He's said the only way to get Drinkwater up to speed is by playing him, there's a break in Feb so he needs to get match fit before that or he'll have to do it in the 14 games that follow and we need everyone up to speed by then or he might as well go back.

Just now, romavillan said:

Maybe Engels was a total dick and is being punished for it?

Selection not that wacky though is it? I'd have probably put Luiz in but it's not that weird? He's said the only way to get Drinkwater up to speed is by playing him, there's a break in Feb so he needs to get match fit before that or he'll have to do it in the 14 games that follow and we need everyone up to speed by then or he might as well go back.

ye maybe, if you took the Engels situation in isolation thats logical i agree.

But if you add that situation to all the other baffling decisions, it kinda looks a bit.....baffling to the point of WTF is going on......

Just now, Keyblade said:

Very OTT reactions for a team selection that is only 1 or 2 players different from what everyone's clamouring for :lol: 

We see what this team and formation could do at the weekend, and it was **** shit.

Just now, Keyblade said:

And Luiz will single-handedly reverse this? There aren't too many options with our injury list.

Playing a striker, even an inexperienced kid, would be a massive improvement as well.

They'll press forward without a care in the world.

• Like 1

Luiz has Hourihane syndrome in that he normally comes on and plays well (Eg. Chelsea, Brighton); starts the next one and has little effect. So not going to be up in arms over that decision.

However Vassilev surely would have been the best option to go with so we could actually have someone to naturally occupy their defence. His movement is good and he presses relentlessly. Sometimes the kids surprise you and rise to the occasion of starting a huge game at home infront of their home faithful. 

That same XI were hugely disappointing 3 days ago, if it goes the same way tonight, thats all on Deano.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Very OTT reactions for a team selection that is only 1 or 2 players different from what everyone's clamouring for :lol: 

Don't think it's OTT for posters to ask for the 2nd half team that played well to actually start the game. Smith is certainly a stubborn man persisting with Drinkwater

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Playing a striker, even an inexperienced kid, would be a massive improvement as well.

Might not be great for his development though, pressure game, if he has a stinker then mentally not great for him. I'm sure they'll have thought about it.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Vassilev is literally a CM being played up front, so no different than El Ghazi or Jack that we have up there now except he's never played men's football before. He's also like half their size and is hardly a target man. Is him not starting really worth getting annoyed by?

Just now, Davkaus said:

They would of pressed forward if Luiz started too. Some villa fans have the memory of a goldfish. Picked out one worldly to Grealish and we forget his pathetic work rate, can't tackle and switching off when he gets the ball out from the back. C'mon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

They would of pressed forward if Luiz started too. Some villa fans have the memory of a goldfish. Picked out one worldly to Grealish and we forget his pathetic work rate, can't tackle and switching off when he gets the ball out from the back. C'mon. 

Luiz was getting it in the neck after City. One pass and now it's a travesty he's not starting. We are beyond fickle.

• Like 2

Luiz was so poor when we played Watford in December, physically dominated by their midfield and gave away a brainless penalty. I rate him but can see why he’s not starting, I’m actually glad he’s not got back in the side off the back of one pass. He does seem to have more of an impact off the bench currently

In all honesty I don't mind the team selection too much, I think bringing on Vassilev/Luiz in the second half could have the same effect as the weekend. There's no guarantee Vassilev would be able to play with such intensity for 90 minutes, and starting Luiz over Drinkwater would have left Luiz and Nakamba together in midfield, which hasn't worked too well in the past.

I also think we're going to be in a physical battle today and Luiz would be too lightweight to play in the midfield alongside Nakamba.

Watford are unbeaten in 7 in all competitions so it wouldn't be a big surprise to lose tonight, I'd take a draw now but we're in need of 3 points tonight, by whatever means necessary.