Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

Onto the next one, the start of a huge 3 games and a chance to drag ourselves out of the relegation zone.

Brighton are coming off the back of a 1-0 loss to Everton.

Really hoping we have some reinforcements for this game, a striker is crucial right now.

Reina

Konsa   Mings   Hause

Guilbert         Nakamba  Drinkwater              Targett

Grealish

Trez          El Ghazi

Hourihane and Luiz were both passengers in the midfield against City. Nakamba and Drinkwater should be able to hold the midfield between them and allow Grealish to float in front of them.

Praying Targett is back as I can't bear another 90 minutes watching Taylor. 

A new striker would be huge for us this week.

I'm hoping and expecting that we'll be able to put round pegs in round holes for this one.  It's bad enough not having a striker, but to take good players from their preferred positions thus effectively weakening 2 positions at once, is too much for us to cope with.

I would take a draw here but we obviously need to win.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm hoping and expecting that we'll be able to put round pegs in round holes for this one.  It's bad enough not having a striker, but to take good players from their preferred positions thus effectively weakening 2 positions at once, is too much for us to cope with.

I would take a draw here but we obviously need to win.

It’s amazing the mess teams can get into with a few injuries/players out of form. 9/10 the new manager bounce is just coming and playing players in their best positions.

Significantly for us moving Jack forward to cope with Trezeguet, Jota and most of the time El Ghazi not being up to it in addition to losing McGinn has meant our traditional strength namely the middle of the pitch is now a major weakness.

Luiz doesn’t look a box to box player to me. He doesn’t offer much outside of a long shot in the final third. Conor bless him because I do love him just can’t get with two yards of a player to make a challenge. It’s not lack of effort the games just two quick for him.

losing the ability to play through midfield means most of the time we are either relying on Jack to do everything which he isn’t good enough to do or play long balls to El ghazi which he isn’t good enough to bring down.

Anyway hopefully as you say some new faces which will change everything against Brighton. Couldn’t be a more important game and they will be bang up for it. 

26 minutes ago, villaglint said:

It’s amazing the mess teams can get into with a few injuries/players out of form. 9/10 the new manager bounce is just coming and playing players in their best positions.

Significantly for us moving Jack forward to cope with Trezeguet, Jota and most of the time El Ghazi not being up to it in addition to losing McGinn has meant our traditional strength namely the middle of the pitch is now a major weakness.

Luiz doesn’t look a box to box player to me. He doesn’t offer much outside of a long shot in the final third. Conor bless him because I do love him just can’t get with two yards of a player to make a challenge. It’s not lack of effort the games just two quick for him.

losing the ability to play through midfield means most of the time we are either relying on Jack to do everything which he isn’t good enough to do or play long balls to El ghazi which he isn’t good enough to bring down.

Anyway hopefully as you say some new faces which will change everything against Brighton. Couldn’t be a more important game and they will be bang up for it. 

Yep, midfield is now terrible.  Putting Jack up front, dropping Nakamba to the bench and bringing Drinkwater in alongside Conor and Luiz gave City a free pass straight towards our defenders.  I understand why we used Conor.  But Drinkwater was not match fit and we absolutely cannot be compromising Grealish's game for any reason.  If we need to put Vassilev or Trez up front then so be it.  It's not like Wesley had massive boots to fill anyway.  This way we're playing straight into our opponents' hands.  It has to change for Brighton or it'll be another battering.  It was only a red card (and a Grealish masterclass) that got us anything against them last time out.

• Like 2

If we can win this then yesterday is all forgiven in my eyes.

Lose it and both the club and smith are walking that tightrope again imo.

As BOF said its square pegs in round holes at the minute and I'm seeing far too much like our last time in the premier league for my liking currently. Expected losses, thrashings by the better teams, players going missing in games, general lack of desire appearing to be shown by players. Things really aren't looking good.

After what we saw in the earlier part of the season and the money spent its not good enough for me at the moment.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Reina

Konsa   Phillips   Mings

Guilbert  Nakamba  Drinkwater   Targett

Grealish

Benteke          Morelos

or

Reina

Guilbert     Konsa     Mings       Targett

Nakamba  Drinkwater 

Grealish

Benrahma       Morelos         Bowen 

Yes i'm bored.. but hopefully we have some new signings, especially a striker... If we don't I think it will be a 2-0 defeat I'm afraid!

UTV

Reina

Konsa        Engels       Mings

Freddie                                              Targett*

Nakamba

Drinkwater*   Grealish

Trez*          AEG

Mings to play on left to cover defensive liability from left wing back.

If targett still injured, play hause there. Bin taylor for good.

Bring luiz on for drinkwater after an hour. Drinkwater has better pos sense than luiz and can help play passes and protect nakamba. 

Jack has to play in the middle to dictate play. Has been so isolated last two games. 

Hope to god we have a new striker, otherwise play what we have. For all AEG's limitations, necer stopped running yday.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Reina

Konsa        Engels       Mings

Freddie                                              Targett*

Nakamba

Drinkwater*   Grealish

Trez*          AEG

Mings to play on left to cover defensive liability from left wing back.

If targett still injured, play hause there. Bin taylor for good.

Bring luiz on for drinkwater after an hour. Drinkwater has better pos sense than luiz and can help play passes and protect nakamba. 

Jack has to play in the middle to dictate play. Has been so isolated last two games. 

Hope to god we have a new striker, otherwise play what we have. For all AEG's limitations, necer stopped running yday.

That's pretty much how I am seeing things, but I don't think we could afford to go into the next set of games with that front two and expect to gain maximum points.

#prayforastrikerortwo

Right now, with what we have:

---------------------------Nyland-----------------------------

------------Konsa-------Mings-----Hause------------

Guilbert-----Nakamba--Drinkwater----Taylor

------------El Ghazi-----------------Grealish-----------

--------------------------Vassilev---------------------------

But I would hope that we'll have at lest three changes to that team.

Really hoping we can have a striker in by saturday. Otherwise, this is what I think we have to field. I don't see us selling Kodjia before Saturday, and there is no way he will still be "sick". Gotta play him.

spacer.png

• Like 1

---------------------------Reina-----------------------------

-----------Engels------Mings-----Chester----------

--Guilbert-----Luiz---Drinkwater------Targett----

--------------Trez-----------------Grealish-----------

---------------------EL Ghazi--------------------------- 

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

---------------------------Reina-----------------------------

-----------Engels------Mings-----Chester----------

--Guilbert-----Luiz---Drinkwater------Targett----

--------------Trez-----------------Grealish-----------

---------------------EL Ghazi--------------------------- 

Chester is right footed and no Terry. Need left footer for out ball. Hause had 12 clearances vs Leicester 2 more than Mings. Don't care what happened in City game

My side for this match would be: 

Reina

Konsa Engels Mings 

Guilbert Nakamba Drinkwater Targett 

El Ghazi Davis Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Elmohamady, Taylor, Hause, Luiz, Trezeguet , Kodjia

The bench looks weak to me, hopefully we can buy some more reinforcements in the remaining weeks of the January transfer window. This is a massive match for me, a 6 pointer, I think Graham Potter is an excellent young manager

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be: 

Reina

Konsa Engels Mings 

Guilbert Nakamba Drinkwater Targett 

El Ghazi Davis Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Elmohamady, Taylor, Hause, Luiz, Trezeguet , Kodjia

The bench looks weak to me, hopefully we can buy some more reinforcements in the remaining weeks of the January transfer window. This is a massive match for me, a 6 pointer, I think Graham Potter is an excellent young manager

Like the look of that but I think Davis is going to be out a while longer hence no one else selecting him 👍

• Thanks 1

After Southampton at home and Watford away, it's difficult to perceive what a 'winnable game' is any more with this squad in its current state. Difficult to see where our next win is coming from. Confidence is shot... the feel good and cuddle factor of being Aston Villa is not currently as effervescent as we would like. It's all starting to feel a bit 2015/16... I dare not predict this one... all I can do is cross my fingers and wish the Club 'all the best' going into this fixture.

We made hard work of Norwich at home, and took our foot off the pedal in the second half at Burnley. Difficult to recall a genuine 'decent' performance from this squad where there has been 90 minutes of consistent 'wow.' I don't think we're capable of it frankly. A symptom of where we are. I can't change it... and I can't be worrying about it. What will be, will be. Over to you players... prove, me, wrong.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------- Reina ----------------------------------------

--------------- Konsa ------------ Mings ---------- Hause ------------------

Guilbert ---------------------- Nakamba -------------------------- Targett

-------------- Drinkwater ----------------------- Hourihane -----------------

----------------------------------- Grealish ------------------------------------------

------------------------------------ El Ghazi -----------------------------------------

Think we need to play Hourihane for set pieces alone and Nakamba as, like it or not, he is the best we have at breaking up the play.

Edited by Wes
Because I'm an idiot.

13 minutes ago, Wes said:

---------------------------------------- Reina ----------------------------------------

--------------- Konsa ------------ Mings ---------- Hause ------------------

Guilbert ---------------------- Nakamba -------------------------- Targett

-------------- Drinkwater ----------------------- Hourihane -----------------

----------------------------------- Grealish ------------------------------------------

------------- El Ghazi -------------------------------- Trezeguet --------------

Think we need to play Hourihane for set pieces alone and Nakamba as, like it or not, he is the best we have at breaking up the play.

I know Hourihane is invisible at the best of times, but we won't get away with a 3-5-3 formation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2